• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oh crap they are back

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Da€n saw another one last night.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 mine are jawed ones also. Matter of fact I got bit last night setting one, trap flipped back and caught right index finger tip. I'm surprised you didn't hear my scream in MI. Left a little blood blister were it bit in. Plus cut my thumb and index finger on copper mesh today. Time for some superglue on them. Doing dishes was painful.
Was that you screaming?!? Good lord! Your a scream queen! LOL.....
Oh I know, those jaws are quite sensitive... Caught my thumb setting one down and bumped it... Snap!!! I spoke chinese!!! Didn't know I could...lol.
My wife woke me at 5 in morning to say someone was in house. The thump thump thump of foot steps on wooden floors. Nothing!!! All doors locked, dog didn't bark....told wife, ghost must of just came home from a night out.
House is 152 years old.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm going to hot glue the bait to the traps. I think I know where they are hanging out. My front hall closet, hmmm, line up traps like soldiers glue traps inbetween and copper mesh under door.
I can't do anything besides that I need to get totes for the stuff on the floor before I clean it out.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Son of ----- I saw another scurry tonight. Jumping christmas I'm tired of this.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have bucket trap all they do eat PB off the ramp and leave.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you don’t put peanut butter or bait on the ramp and only put it on the spinning pole/bottle/dunking ramp then they drop into the water before getting their fill of food and nicking off.
We were told to smear the bait on the ramp too and we had the same issue, once we stopped that and only put the bait on the spinning bottle/can/pole/drop ramp then we were catching literally hundreds of them each night to the point that I would actually have to empty the bucket and refill it because the mice would be standing on each other and jumping back out. The bucket/ bottle traps are excellent but only if they are set up correctly.
I really feel for you, this must be so frustrating for you.
I get obsessed about catching and killing them when I know there’s any about. They are all I can think about when I know they’re in my home.
:hug8::hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh I wish I was closer to you....I’d come and camp at your place till we caught and killed every last mouse and plugged up every last little entry point.
The little mongrels just ruin everything from food and belongings right through to sleep and sanity.
I got pretty good at making the bucket traps when we had the plague and I was making them or altering them for friends who were having no or very little success with the bucket/bottle traps. It certainly is a bit of an art to get them perfect so they spin easily (or drop if it’s a dunking plank) but not until the mouse has all feet on the spinner part.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh I wish I was closer to you....I’d come and camp at your place till we caught and killed every last mouse and plugged up every last little entry point.
The little mongrels just ruin everything from food and belongings right through to sleep and sanity.
I got pretty good at making the bucket traps when we had the plague and I was making them or altering them for friends who were having no or very little success with the bucket/bottle traps. It certainly is a bit of an art to get them perfect so they spin easily (or drop if it’s a dunking plank) but not until the mouse has all feet on the spinner part.

Mice can become a huge problem! They can multiply rabidly. Remember a friend's house had a problem, not talking a few mice, I'm talking a scene from the movie willard!!! Hundreds!!!
I thought dang!! You need to burn house down!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle is having a huge problem at the farm too. We had wet spring, wet summer, good growth for grain crops. The mice and norway rats are running hard thru his place. He has bucket traps set up outside. He dug a big hole to bury all these little vermin. The M & R graveyard.
He has cats all over the place inside and outside. The cats are AFRAID of the rats but will chase the mice. Play with them, let them go. He has traps in the house plus d-con set up where pets can't get to it

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We had them bad enough at the old house they were running across our feet in the morning in the one bathroom. They usually lived in the crawl space but would come in for all the wonderful dropped bird food. I have seen a few zip across the floor in the living room and we see evidence of them along the edges of the walls but like I said since I blocked most of the main holes I found it's cut down and I mainly hear them chewing trying to get in again. They probably ate all the bait under the house and we haven't caught any yet this fall in the jaw traps. I don't remember if I mentioned it but when we were moving I pulled the laundry set and found a huge hole chewed through the bathroom/laundry room floor where it had gotten wet from leaks and was easy to chew. I had no clue it was there and I'd pulled them out years before to fix the leaking pump and do other repairs. I think it's going to be a bad year here too has its been warm and enough rain to grow things to eat and now it's getting cold at night.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok we are trying to get back to normal in the cage area. I made baffles for California King cage, these are smaller but hopefully will work. Besides that I'm sick of stubbing my toes on that cage where it was. Move it back to old position.
20191002_105143.jpg 20191002_105153.jpg 20191002_105159.jpg 20191002_105210.jpg
Bebe likes the play top to this cage

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I can speak about 4 different languages stubbing a toes

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm going to hot glue the bait to the traps. I think I know where they are hanging out. My front hall closet, hmmm, line up traps like soldiers glue traps inbetween and copper mesh under door.
I can't do anything besides that I need to get totes for the stuff on the floor before I clean it out.
Ok they are not in that closet.