• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

oh crap they are back

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
MICE,,,,,Flipping heck, I set traps again cuz I thought I saw one again. I heard snap this evening, yup but the little binder got away SHOOT!!!!¡¡¡ Dang it. Know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Good luck on the mouse hunt and catch! I hope you win the battle fast :)

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If only those sonic repeller things worked... *daydreams* ...but mice are too clever for that by half.

A tip on the trap... mice absolutely cannot resist chewy, chocolate chip granola bars. If the traps you're using need a way to hold the bait in place, use a dab of peanut butter as glue.

(I've dealt with mice more times than I can count, and chewy, chocolate-chip granola bars are freakin' magical).

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
They are tomcat jaw snap traps and a electronic trap with peanut butter as bait in all of them. Da€n varmits!!!!!!!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Covered the toaster too. Da€n little buggers have wrecked 3 already. Also filled bath tub, about 2"to 3" of water because they go in it too. Have oil Bebe's cage legs tomorrow. Good God I hate them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Peanut butter, bacon or chocolate (basically anything high fat content) were always winners for the mice at our last home. Thankfully I have not seen or heard of any mice issues in the new town I live in so I will keep my fingers crossed we do not have to deal with them too often here.
I specifically like the melted chocolate as it resets and they have to work at getting it off the traps so that makes it more likely that they will actually get trapped instead of being able to consume some and set the trap off without being caught like what sometimes happens with peanut butter. The little stinkers are so careful sometimes that they manage to eat all of the peanut butter without even setting the traps off......they've never managed that with the melted chocolate though ;)

Laurie, when you say electronic trap is it one of the ones that electrocutes them and can catch more than one before it needs emptying? I have seen them online and I really wanted one when we had a mouse plague but I was not sure if they worked as well as the seller said.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Its a electronic one that you have to empty after each one you catch. But you never have to touch the buggers. It catches more then any other trap.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I bought chocolate chips to melt will try it and see.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
We have some of those electronic traps and only ever caught one with it. I'm going to have to try the granola bar trick.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
All old boxes are either in the trash or in my storage locker. Kitchen has been scrubbed to my second knuckles. Floor washed twice one on my hands and knees with a brush the second time with a mop to get up any residue. Trash all rooms is out, trash cans scrubbed, tough doing because I have nothing like a hose to spray them out with. We aren't allowed to use the hoses in the complex. My knees hurt my hands will need a gallon of lotion tonight.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok here is suggestion KEEP ALL CLOTH RAGS IN A METAL TIN BOX OR BUCKET. THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE IN MY RAG BUCKET. I use them to dust with, wash windows mop up spills. They get wash as needed but a 3 1/2 gallon bucket without a lid is where they were stored. NEVER AGAIN.....

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Did they make a nest there?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@WendyN not that I could fine, but they chewed it up pretty good.
@Shezbug melted chocolate chips baited 2 traps with it and 2 more with chocolate chips and peanut butter. Set them in frig to harden up will lay them at bedtime. I'll see in morning how it works.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
All old boxes are either in the trash or in my storage locker. Kitchen has been scrubbed to my second knuckles. Floor washed twice one on my hands and knees with a brush the second time with a mop to get up any residue. Trash all rooms is out, trash cans scrubbed, tough doing because I have nothing like a hose to spray them out with. We aren't allowed to use the hoses in the complex. My knees hurt my hands will need a gallon of lotion tonight.
Bless your achy heart! Sorry you're having to work so hard because of them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ok here is suggestion KEEP ALL CLOTH RAGS IN A METAL TIN BOX OR BUCKET. THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE IN MY RAG BUCKET. I use them to dust with, wash windows mop up spills. They get wash as needed but a 3 1/2 gallon bucket without a lid is where they were stored. NEVER AGAIN.....
Yep... perfect nesting material!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok laying in bed, looking at my phone, SNAP goes the trap in bedroom. What the heck, brave little varmint. He ran right thru the trap, setting off. Ok dude or dudette , I got your number now ,
reset the trap, try it again.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The last few we caught were the luckiest mice on the planet because one got caught by his foot and the other got caught in her midsection rather than having their necks broke so I released them and they both either scampered away immediately or rested a while to recover and wandered off. Since I expanded foamed most of the holes I found and put bait under the house where no animal should be haven't seen any up here for a while. I have one more huge hole they were slowly chewing bigger and bigger where a bunch of TV and network cables come up through the floor next to the wall covered by a computer desk. I also have been trying to keep Dobbys area a bit more clear of the leftover food chunks he drops all over the floor. Getting a decent cheap robot vacuum and a really nice Shark cordless have helped a lot keeping extra goodies off the main floor areas and corners too.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Got one in old glue trap that was stuffed under heat pipe in living room. Little tiny one with big boo boo on it side, bet it was the one caught in snap trap the other night. Set the traps for the night, 2 in the living room ,2 in bedroom, one in bathroom, kitchen and hallway. Now the waiting game.
I vacuumed under Bebe's cage b4 bedtime. Cage covers are clothes pinned at the bottom of the cage, cage legs oiled so little binders can't get into the cage.