• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Official" Opie and Oggie Thread

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Try an organic carrot (I clean and cut into large hunks). They're inexpensive and good for them. You can crunch one in front of him even. Remember to show and eat yourself, then drop one in his bowl after its moving close to your mouth. See? I could eat it but I want to give to you. That's beak activity for them to crunch up then..... actually eating.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I gave them some carrots on their first weekend and they didn't touch them, but I wasn't sharing food with them yet - I'll try that again.

Figured out Opie's forbidden pleasure though.. he was eyeing my breakfast and kept spitting out all of the nibbles I offered him, but staring very intently at the tray. I held the whole tray out to him and he reached over, grabbed the edge and yanked it even closer so that he could take the one thing I had not intended to offer - a little cube of cheese :angelic:

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I held the whole tray out to him and he reached over, grabbed the edge and yanked it even closer so that he could take the one thing I had not intended to offer - a little cube of cheese :angelic:
I love reading your experiences with them. But this is the cutest funniest thing by far lol

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
All birds seem to love cheese so use it as a way to get to his heart in tiny doses. We all like cheese but it's not good for us either. Like I said, they pick who they pick and eventually you two might find something that is only for you two alone. Nerd did that with my sister. She was to give him breakfast treats on her days off, then scratch him till he decided he'd had enough. He would get very put out if she didn't hurry with the treats and scratches and I always got a report how the morning had went. :xflove:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks to @Macawnutz !

I sat in the room and opened a box of new toys so the boys could see them from a distance.. most will go on the playstand I ordered when it arrives.

But I have particularly been trying to get Opie to do some foraging, so I went ahead and stuffed this with treats. He came out and watched me, so I put it on his balcony.

He hasn't "used" it but he definitely already checked it out! This is the first "thing" he has interacted with since he came home!

20210612_123424.jpg

Also a "win" for my jealous side, my boyfriend came and tried to pet him while he was out of the cage. He definitely flashes his eyes every time my bf talks, and deliberately moved closer to him, but wanted NO touching and wouldn't take any food from him (until I took pity on their relationship and broke out a crumble of my fig newton stash).

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh yes! I remember this order. If I recall it said LIKES: I Don't Know! :D Right?

I'm pretty sure I sent a good bunch of toys that will get them used to chewing again. Your amazon should be on a little tougher wood but just message me before your next order and we can make adjustments if needed.

He is a cute little guy. :)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh yes! I remember this order. If I recall it said LIKES: I Don't Know! :D Right?

I'm pretty sure I sent a good bunch of toys that will get them used to chewing again. Your amazon should be on a little tougher wood but just message me before your next order and we can make adjustments if needed.

He is a cute little guy. :)
Yup that was it lol. If Opie doesn't destroy it I'll give Oggie a chance to check it out, he is better off than the amazon but does need to start doing some activity other than eating and climbing.

But at this point either of them destroying something would make me so happy!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
We got weighed!!!

I had to use the fig newtons but Opie stepped out on a dowel and was lured onto my t stand. He weighed 271 grams which seems about perfect according to google. If I can trust google. There aren't a whole lot of good parrot sites with information on yellow *shouldered* amazons, they always want to re-direct me to yellow headed or yellow naped.
That means I can be a bit stricter about what I let him eat and have a better idea of whether he is starving himself. Phew.

He wouldn't touch my birdie bread :meh:

Oggie weighed 142, which also seems to be within a normal range for a senegal. As expected he gobbled up the birdie bread without hesitation.

I've taken to leaving their cages open most of the day since they really don't try to venture off of them. Can't wait until their playstand arrives.. I really wanted to get a natural tree type stand but right now one of the pvc pipe structures was more reasonable, I've already spent waay more on toys than they really needed yet :roflmao:

After getting Opie to step on my dowel without much trouble, I'm really hopeful for our relationship. Maybe this time next year he will let me touch him. :xflove:

The other half of the room they are in is our "gym" and a plant rack. We spent yesterday getting the rack set up (its a project that has been on hold for a bit) and turning the treadmill around so we can actually see and talk to the boys while using it. We're going to be growing microgreens without soil on the plant rack - using led grow bulbs so they don't heat up, and the front of the rack is draped by a blackout curtain so it doesn't hurt the guys eyes. Hopefully they enjoy the product!

I did have to break out the vacuum yesterday because sweeping under their cages just wasn't cutting it, and they were starting to attract some ants. That was not fun for them. :( Glad they have mostly forgiven me this morning.

Still can't get anyone to play with toys though!! :sour:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I was just looking at Oggie and Opie's surrender sheets again, there is very minimal info there but I wanted to see if there was a previous weight listed..

Didn't find that, but I did find a section I missed before where they circled "cage dominant" for Oggie. How weird. I've reached into his cage to fix things or scratch his head plenty of times :wideyed:

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe the got some facts switched around during intake?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh dear - I'm a bad parront :crycry:

1... I always leave the blinds open for Oggie to look out.
2... I don't always check on him immediately when he "screams" because so far it's never been for any discernible reason, and I didn't want to encourage him doing it for attention.
3... I was focused on my work and didn't realize our lawn guy had shown up until I heard the dog barking and the mower go right by my "office" window.

Found Opie in his cage with the door closed behind him, hanging from the corner in terror. He was so upset he wouldn't even take a treat.
Found Oggie walking around on the floor looking so confused. I can only assume he was startled off his "porch". He let me put him back in his home but immediately started pacing around.

Blinds are closed, radio is on to try to drown out some of the sound..
Ugh, this plus the vacuum yesterday - they probably hate me.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
oh the poor things, I wouldn't say your a bad paront. sometimes these things happen you all are still learning and that's something you never thought to be on guard about. im sure with time all will be well. sometimes even when things are great we always get pushed 2 steps back. Thats what makes us learn and just keep on trucking thru!!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I guess no one is too traumatized.. they both willingly came out for dinner snacks.

Oggie let me pet him like usual, and Opie let someone REALLY pet him for the first time ever..

Of course it wasn't me.. was the man randomly passing through the room, of course. The way Opie blissfilly closed his eyes and ruffled his feathers though.. oh god, my heart.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Last update for today because I haven't shared images yet..

Changing the boys papers for the night and Oggie kept getting in my face..
Finally realized he wanted to tear the paper! He played with me!

And Opie is throwing a fit.. I didn't know why but after he rushed me to jump in the paper tray and tried to dig for scraps, I think it's because he has no seeds in his pellet bowl tonight :(
Which goes to show he probably really does to be cut back..

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret is scared of lawn mowers. The bird will bail from her playstand when she hears one. She's learned she is safe in her cage though. When she's flown down, I've found her headed towards her cage.

Camsan

Meeting neighbors
Just caught up on this thread. What a beautiful pair you have with Opie and Oggie! :heart:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Hey @Elysian hope all is going well with the flock!
Going pretty well I think!

I was torn between doing 30 days quarantine or 60, but like someone pointed out.. its hard to keep the air flow separate anyway, and I really wanted Opie and Oggie to be more socially integrated - so we went with just the 30.
They now have their cages out in our main living area.. Oggie is next to the budgies (but not where he can reach them) and Opie is right next to my work desk.

Opie still doesn't play with any toys, ever, but he had become brave enough to climb on his playstand. I did also see him take a pellet out of his foraging wheel for the first time today. I have the net arranged so he can climb up or down on his own if needed, but he hasn't wanted to.
20210630_115945.jpg
20210629_083807.jpg

He makes it very clear that he has no interest in being touched, but he is *very* food motivated so it is easy to get him back into his cage when needed.
He also had no objections to letting me carry him with a t perch when he accidentally jumped off his playstand.
Despite not wanting me to touch him, he is not aggressive to me and he even begs for my food from time to time. He ate a nibble of oatmeal right off a spoon. The budgies think spoons are death incarnate, so that was pretty awesome.

Oggie is a little obsessed with me and it breaks my heart. If he sees me within reach, he wants to be with me. He will do whatever he can to try to find a way off his cage and over to my desk. Every time I open his door he climbs up to my eye level and raises one foot, cocks his head, and gives this little "oo?" sound. He wants me to hold him.

20210629_083801.jpg

But I can't let him touch me :( We've had two more bite incidents despite my best efforts because if I mistakenly come into a range where he can reach me at all, he will do his best to find a way to get on me and climb to my shoulder.
Unfortunately once he is on my shoulder he attacks everything - my shirt, my hair, and definitely my fingers. Its brutal. He clamps on and doesn't let go even if I pick him up with my other hand. Leaves my fingers with small cuts but a lot of crushing pain.
It's a little harder to move him back into his cage since I have to keep out of reach, and the t perch just becomes a path to my arm, but I can lure him pretty well with a treat.
I still give him scritches and talk and sing with him, so hopefully he isn't too disappointed or lonely.

He doesn't play with toys much either but he has chewed a few things up, and loves to climb.

They are both excellent eaters.. this week they've tasted oatmeal, watermelon, broccoli sprouts.. Opie vastly prefers fruits over veggies but he will eat some carrot.

Opie definitely loves the dog. His cage is high enough that the dog cannot reach him unless he deliberately comes all the way down to the cage floor, and there are plexiglass panels preventing the dog from touching him through those lower bars.. but when they cross paths Opie will indeed climb down and get eye to eye with him.
They will never ever be out together, but its still baffling that he likes the dog more than he likes me haha.

Everybody seems to sleep really well once the lights are out, and Oggie has started grinding his beak regularly.
Opie still only makes that one hiccupping noise no matter what he is trying to express :)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
OHH HOW WONDERFUL OF AN UPDATE! I’m sorry that opie isn’t really hands on but everything sounds like a beautiful relationship blooming! And as for Mr. oggie he is a trickster like the joker lol. I wonder if there’s a way to let him know it hurts you? Sadly I’m sure and yell of oww will only excite him and make the bites worse. But omg him dancing to baby’s shark is the cutest thing I’ve see all day! So glad the boys have a good appetite!