• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Official" Opie and Oggie Thread

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For size info.... View attachment 389641 View attachment 389642 View attachment 389643 View attachment 389644

I don't put this bowl in Secret's cage because it could scratch up the powder coating. I sit it on the floor of the shower with the shower running for sound more than anything.

Remember, temperature of the water is also important. MC liked colder water, Secret liked the tepid room temperature stuff (hence the water bowl)
I tried water bowl with Inca... Not interested. But he loves shower, so I transfer him to a shower cage and put him under shower... Sometimes he gets drenched in rains also.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby loves his shower cage and once he finally decided our showers are safe he'll do the shower eagle and make all his happy noises while he plays. Eventually he'll just sit under the warm water and soak and one of us will reach in and if he's ready he steps up and drips all over us.
When he's ready for a shower he'll start dunking his head in the plant water pitcher and cups of water.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Today is awful.. re: my 911 thread for Cypress the budgie..

But I have a moment to note that I came out of my hot little quarantine/hospital room and Opie is full on chilling on my bfs shoulder playing video games..

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Here is the picture from yesterday. :swoon:

It's so awesome but actually makes me feel bad for Opie too...
He is a GOOD bird. Like really good. So quiet and polite, gives clear warnings that he does not like me and loves this man, showed absolutely no inclination to bite when eventually removed from the shoulder.. didn't even rush the shoulder like Oggie does, he waited on bf's hand until it was clear he was allowed to move up.

.. But the man loves his dog. The only reason this happened yesterday is because Cypress was so sick, I asked my SiL to come get the dog and watch him while we ran around.
So this ideal image here? It's not going to happen often. At all. When the man is home, the dog is out.

I know we have time and I'll keep working on our relationship.. but this image nags me.. is it really fair for me to keep a GOOD, clean, quiet, polite bird that WANTS to be loved (just not by me).. when he's likely not going to get much return on that love?

Not that I would EVER re-neg on my commitment to Opie, but if there was a possibility of finding someone he really liked who also liked him equally.. :sad7:

224519963_10222731479768257_1885835586331805693_n.jpg

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Give it time, I bet eventually he's going to branch out, especially if most of the time he doesn't get to sit on his shoulder and hang out.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, it finally happened - Oggie took the plunge!
When I am working I wheel his cage over to one side of my desk (just far enough away that he can't climb over) and Opie's playstand to the other side of my desk so we can all safely hang out.

Oggie just launched himself off an outside perch and *almost* made it to my desk. He landed on the floor, looked around, then made a bee-line toward my leg calling out "Hiii!!"

I had to flee lol. Poor love.

I need to give him another change to not bite me... just not during a meeting.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds do have perfect timing, no? Lol! Poor Oggie just wanted to have a climb! :embarassed:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Pippen gets all excited every time I move or come over and talk to her but so far she always wants to bite or pinch me if I try to touch her or have her jump on my arm when she's out.
I just keep telling her she's a pretty bird and carefully offering a finger or the nail for her to nibble and try grab or bite. I figure eventually she'll realize that if she truly wants to touch me or get scritches biting and pinching aren't the way to get it and she'll adjust till we're both happy. When she's in the place she was when we first got her she was so gentle and happy to be safe that she was a love sponge but then the honeymoon was over so she got very assertive and nippy.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Well, it finally happened - Oggie took the plunge!
When I am working I wheel his cage over to one side of my desk (just far enough away that he can't climb over) and Opie's playstand to the other side of my desk so we can all safely hang out.

Oggie just launched himself off an outside perch and *almost* made it to my desk. He landed on the floor, looked around, then made a bee-line toward my leg calling out "Hiii!!"

I had to flee lol. Poor love.

I need to give him another change to not bite me... just not during a meeting.
Thanks for the smile.......

And just take some time with Opie. Amazon's rule.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
this image nags me.. is it really fair for me to keep a GOOD, clean, quiet, polite bird that WANTS to be loved (just not by me).. when he's likely not going to get much return on that love?

Not that I would EVER re-neg on my commitment to Opie, but if there was a possibility of finding someone he really liked who also liked him equally
Providing them the best possible life is the commitment we make to our birds when we take them in, but that can manifest in different ways.

Your sentiment is a very mature one, rather than the "forever home" dogma that can cause issues of its own.

(I agree with @Dartman, about giving it more time, though)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Dolly would walk across the floor/ come to me & climb up my leg. I was deathly afraid of her nipping toes if I was barefoot. Pois seem to want to search out there fav's. Dolly never bit much but when they do its murder...Lucky you!

:rofl:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Providing them the best possible life is the commitment we make to our birds when we take them in, but that can manifest in different ways.

Your sentiment is a very mature one, rather than the "forever home" dogma that can cause issues of its own.

(I agree with @Dartman, about giving it more time, though)
Thank you for that!

I definitely want to make sure he is the happiest, healthiest bird he can be. I can already see he has the capacity to be such an amazing companion.

I will not think about it again for at least a year though.. see where we are at on gotcha day, and come back here to read it and compare.
Hopefully we've made enough progress then that I can say for sure he's on that track. Happiest and healthiest as he can be.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
bee-line toward my leg calling out "Hiii!!"
:rofl:My heart would just absolutely mellllttt.

:wideyed: ...watch this...

It ONLY happens during loud movies when we are on the other side of that little alcove wall.

:omg:
OMG that's amazing. Love that he's talking but that laugh would make me shudder while watching a scary movie LOL! I bet his old mum was a movie lover from the happy laughing during loud parts!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Haha he just keeps freaking us out. I set up that camera specifically to catch the laughing, but that was definitely the FIRST time we ever heard any talking!
He never talked at the rescue either.

I cut out most of us reacting to it but you can hear my boyfriend say "Is he talking?" And me going "Did you hear that?!" Lol

I had to listen to the play back about 50 times to be sure but I think we had a pretty clear "Good boy Opie" and "Pretty bird"

Wonder if he will ever talk in 'public'!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I think as he gets comfortable he'll talk around you. Nerd never talked, he spoke wild Pionus, Lurch talked from the moment I got him and said foreign sounding words and lots of English and kept learning new ones. Sometimes I could hear him practicing his favorites over and over when he was alone.
He would say hello in every intonation imaginable and others. I gave him a treat one day and he said OH BOY, he never said it again.
Dobby says I'm Dobby, Dobby good boy, Dobby boy, a lot of whistling and sounds.
Pionus aren't known for talking and usually sound like drunken pirates but they can say things very clearly when they want to, depends on the bird.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Haha he just keeps freaking us out. I set up that camera specifically to catch the laughing, but that was definitely the FIRST time we ever heard any talking!
He never talked at the rescue either.

I cut out most of us reacting to it but you can hear my boyfriend say "Is he talking?" And me going "Did you hear that?!" Lol

I had to listen to the play back about 50 times to be sure but I think we had a pretty clear "Good boy Opie" and "Pretty bird"

Wonder if he will ever talk in 'public'!
I used to call them 'closet talkers'... when they wouldn't speak in front of a person, only in private.
When I got my first big bird, a Double Yellow Head, people didn't say he could talk. Just got him home, I was in the bathroom.... and I heard a voice... "hello"... freaked out, thinking someone had come in! Boy, did I laugh! :rofl:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Oggie won't come out of his cage :(
He hasn't been out since Tuesday when I picked him up off the floor and helped him go back in.
Usually when I go to change his water twice a day he tries to rush out.. but for 3 days he has been coming to the door, hesitating, and staying in.

I decided to dedicate today to him and I have his cage pulled up to the coffee table so he can climb right over to me. He isn't even coming to an outside perch!

I lured him once with scritches and a treat but after he got the treat he went back in to eat it. Now I'm a tiny bit worried.. his cage is closest to the budgies.. the vet said he should be safe from their germs because they aren't airborne but...