• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Official" Opie and Oggie Thread

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You'll get there it's just going to take time for him to realize the right way to treat someone he cares about.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I believe it, Oggie wants to be cuddled so bad. He is obsessed with trying to get me to pick him up :(
When he sees me near the cage he rushes over, lifting his little foot and going "Og-gee?"
When his cage is open, if he can see me he will try to figure out a way to climb to the floor like he's going to come find me.

He would be everything I ever wanted in a bird.. if I can ever figure out why his loving includes so much tearing of my flesh.
There's a Galah at a rescue I volunteer at that's like this, like she'll call for me when she sees me and follow me around from the floor of the aviary. Here are a few things I've noticed that can set her off, in case any of these can be applicable:

- If I seem to be leaving her, putting her down, etc.
- If someone comes near us who she thinks might try to take her from me
- If someone comes near us who she doesn't like
- If another bird comes near me, especially if they try to come near her on me
- If I pay attention to another person when she thinks I should be paying attention to her
- If it has been a while since I've seen her and she needs me to know she is mad about it
- If she's REALLY excited and just decides that's how she has to express it

I can be a little bit of a glutton for punishment, and I love her to bits, so I've kind of just accepted that handling her is rolling the dice. I try to avoid any of the above situations, and after a good number of facial wounds, I've done my best to keep her off my shoulders (she loves to hang out on my shoulder, though, and is stubborn). Anyway, I hope this helps!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks @keirieski17
I do suspect one of his triggers is thinking in going to leave him. Another is me preventing him from going up to my shoulder. I don't know if I could handle a facial bite that bad, so he is not allowed there for sure.

Some of it's still very mysterious to me though.. like the second time I did let him on my shoulder, and it was just me and him in the bird room with Opie in his cage. But the second he got up there he started viciously attacking my hair and clothes.
Little psycho :dead:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I wish I had pictures for you guys, but Opie wouldn't let me take any
He picked up a foot toy and played with it!
I'm soo happy!

He hasn't "played" at all until today. Just eats, begs for treats, and moves from perch to perch to sit.

I was able to glance over my shoulder and watch him holding it and twisting it.. but I tried to take a sneaky pic over my shoulder and as soon as he saw my phone he said "eep!" And threw the toy down like it was hot, then pretended he wasn't doing anything. :hilarious:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret and MC took a long time to play with toys, too

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Have you tried the crying bit??? :sneaky:
Maybe BEFORE you pick Oggie up... love on your fingers, kiss them, pet your face--- you might feel stupid.... BUT better than getting bit! Happy lilt in your voice when you handle him.

The issue I've had [for the last 25yr or so] w/ him screeching as I walk by--- has almost stopped now, thank goodness... When I come into the house I get an excited tone in my voice, put my items down and return, still excited, to give them a small treat! Sometimes I forget, and he's still quiet after a few min... then I REALLY give him a treat!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Maybe BEFORE you pick Oggie up... love on your fingers, kiss them, pet your face--- you might feel stupid.... BUT better than getting bit! Happy lilt in your voice when you handle him.

The issue I've had [for the last 25yr or so] w/ him screeching as I walk by--- has almost stopped now, thank goodness... When I come into the house I get an excited tone in my voice, put my items down and return, still excited, to give them a small treat! Sometimes I forget, and he's still quiet after a few min... then I REALLY give him a treat!
Last time he bit me, after I finally managed to get him off, I washed off the blood and calmed myself down and then went back over and showed him my hands and fake cried/whimpered and told him how much it hurt.
I'll try it pre-emptively!
Hard to work up the courage to give him another chance though lol

donutweall

Walking the driveway

I feel like understanding this should be really obvious, but I don't quite understand the thinking behind doing this suggestion (I think it's probably a good suggestion, I'm just being dense and need someone to explain it to me :()

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I feel like understanding this should be really obvious, but I don't quite understand the thinking behind doing this suggestion (I think it's probably a good suggestion, I'm just being dense and need someone to explain it to me :()
Of course-- NO ONE wants to get bit... especially by a pet you're trying to love on and be loved back. So not only the physical pain, but emotional [ie-- WHY??? does he do that?].

I found w/ my LBs that 'immobilizing' their head and looking them directly in the eye, saying 'no bite'... then releasing them and loving on them... worked to slow down and stop their biting.
With the Senegal, the fake crying and kissing fingers REALLY seemed to train him that he shouldn't bite. Of course, I interject an angry 'NAUGHTY'! along w/ the crying.
The Senegal's are very emotional birds... empathetic, and want to please you. VERY food motivated.
Hope that explains it a little better... This is only my experience... so.....

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have been following your journey quietly, and I love seeing your story with them!! You are doing great, and I think they landed in exactly the right home:)

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Thanks @keirieski17
I do suspect one of his triggers is thinking in going to leave him. Another is me preventing him from going up to my shoulder. I don't know if I could handle a facial bite that bad, so he is not allowed there for sure.

Some of it's still very mysterious to me though.. like the second time I did let him on my shoulder, and it was just me and him in the bird room with Opie in his cage. But the second he got up there he started viciously attacking my hair and clothes.
Little psycho :dead:
You're welcome! I'll let you know if I can think of anything else that sets off my crazy girl

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
The post above reminds me... some birds DO NOT like to get tangled in our hair... Some put up w/ it, and some DON'T! :sissfgt:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Opie was chewing!!!! :bliss:

He has "investigated" this toy once before, but only for a few moments despite me showing him that his favorite treats are in it. I would have given it to Oggie instead if he hadn't done that much (I know Oggie would appreciate it).

He does get into his caitec foraging wheel but only to throw the pellets on the floor in case one of them is a sunflower seed in disguise.
And as I mentioned he picked up a nut and bolt foot toy the other day, but again only for a few moments (because he saw me looking at him :o:) and never picked it up again.
Otherwise, 2 months with no evidence at all of him doing anything other than sitting in different places and eating.

Look at what he did just now :loveshower:
20210722_084301.jpg

I actually should get around to ordering one of these specifically for Oggie too.

.. and just as I was typing this he also came to the cage door and chewed a little on his rope net!

Also just for prosperity, yesterday was his first non-green poop. He came to me eating fruit flavor zupreem and I've been slowly mixing in higher ratios of natural zupreem to get rid of all that dye. He leaves them all for the very last but at least he eats them :roflmao:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Go Opie.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Yay opie!! We never gave up hope!! @Elysian you are amazing taking care of these two beauties! And it is paying off everyday with new rewards! So happy for them. My new personal nickname for oggie is the joker, so funny bunch so mischievous lol

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Yay opie!! We never gave up hope!! @Elysian you are amazing taking care of these two beauties! And it is paying off everyday with new rewards! So happy for them. My new personal nickname for oggie is the joker, so funny bunch so mischievous lol
The other day someone showed up at the door and Oggie fell(fluttered) off his "porch" when they knocked.. but before I even got up he had just ruffled himself off and started climbing his emergency ladder back home. I imagined him grumbling curses to himself the whole way.

Kind of surprised he did not use the unexpected floor time to toddle over and climb my leg instead. Though that would have surely ended up in bites and crying and freaking out the person who knocked. :roflmao: