• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off we go again!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Oh yes, for the drama fans. We were scheduled a power cut last night from midnight till 2am

WHAT?

I have a newborn in an incubator!!!!

Emergency plans were drawn up, but the cut never happened (Where did I leave my morning litre of vodka?)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful Dad! And sorry about the unplanned/planned power outage. Well, at least you are prepared for it....whenever it happens now, lol!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Baby 2 arrived today. Big strong and wriggling. I considered pulling it for handfeeding since it had an empty crop at 5pm. But I decided to wait a while and it had a full crop at 9pm.

Mama's instincts kicked in. So I have the best of both worlds.

First time Mama gets to raise a chick, without the stress of two, since I'm raising the other one

This by the way is the very rate Green Thighed parent species

Good times

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats! Glad they are feeding # 3. Caiques are crazy. I have one that feeds babies until one day she doesn't. I have another who will only feed the last baby. Won't feed anyone until there are no eggs left. Finally I have another pair who has broken eggs, seemingly on purpose. Mostly, I feed them myself. Keep up the good work and have fun! :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Congrats! Glad they are feeding # 3. Caiques are crazy. I have one that feeds babies until one day she doesn't. I have another who will only feed the last baby. Won't feed anyone until there are no eggs left. Finally I have another pair who has broken eggs, seemingly on purpose. Mostly, I feed them myself. Keep up the good work and have fun! :)
Thanks for the good wishes Laurie, and thanks for taking my panicked texts when I was trying to evaluate risk to the new baby.

I love this forum and its members!

...my people.....

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
LOL thanks Laurie. It is exciting and sometimes stressful trying to keep babies alive. The indecision and risk assessment is nerve wracking. I want Mama to practice looking after babies. I want baby to learn how chicks are cared for from mama. This Mama was parent raised, but its her first chicks. How much does she remember about her parents beheaviour in the nest? So, pull or not pull?. How much risk is baby facing?.

Nature doesnt care if 7 babies die while new mama practices. But I Do

The feeding is easy after the decision is made.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

The big dark ( closed) eyes make baby look like he's wearing sunglasses lol

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That baby is adorable. The movements make me think of the bob and weave of a boxer:lol: