• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off we go again!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That is all very confusing.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Soap opera

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
*Eastenders theme plays ominously*

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It started out so simple. 8 birds, 4 pairs, 4 HUGE cages. Only one pair began breeding ( Fingers + Cha_Cha). Most of the time all were out together in a large aviary. Big converted double garage. So, very much your set up.

Years go by, alliances formed, and inter birdie rivalries emerged. It didn't help that I have two species, when the birdies don't care which species is which. But I do, I cant be the one who allowed mixed species into this very rare bird gene pool. So I split pairings I didn't approve of, as they formed. This didn't help tensions

But all was relatively calm until the curious GTC's decided to raid Cha-Cha's nest while she was on eggs several years ago. They opened the inspection hatch from the outside and raced in and out excitedly shouting like bratty kids in a mall. I didn't discover this for hours, by which time Cha_Cha had lost her mind.

She never forgave them. She holds on to her grudges. Fingers ( her mate) decided the main culprit was Boo-boo, A big bouncy beautiful hopping male. These two adult males will now fight on sight and to the death if I do not quickly intervene.

Any new babies that come along for Fingers and Cha_Cha are now inducted into the religion of their parents. Num-Nums and Nik Nak thus follow the fatwa that their parents issued regarding collaborating with the frenemies the other side of the avairy, and WBC's have enjoyed a numerical advantage until now.

I reduced tensions greatly by moving Fingers and Cha into the house. But this year they have not settled to breed. There is lots of casual sex, along with lots of less casual arguing. Fingers began to climb out of the next box bearing minor battle scars, so now I don't let them spend much time together.

Then ten days ago, Diva (GTC) laid an egg, WTF? after 7 years. I quickly sequestered her in a breeding flight with Ken ( of Ken and Barbie fame). After 7 years of ignoring Diva, he suddenly took to fatherhood and this pair is currently putting on a show as ideal parents. They have two eggs at present, more any day.

His selected mate, Barbie (GTC), took to plucking her feathers as she didn't like not being allowed into the GTC nest box as usual. So she happily spends the day with me now, often contributing on technical software issues during my conference calls.

And the babies reached puberty. The hormones hit big time this month.

So you see, its all as clear as mud

LOL
Yes, it all makes sense now. Basically, you let them do what they want and intervene when they are in danger. Sounds like a perfect bird Dad! :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Just checked Duvas nest. Two eggs. One definitely fertile, i can see the developing network of blood vessels with a good light

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well we have an update. We are only a week away from Diva's chick hatchdate. She is being a model mum and hardly ever leaves the nestbox, so no issues there, yet

Cha_Cha is a different story. She has been terrorising Fingers, her long term mate, so I removed him for his own safety more than a week ago. Recently she has been very nest active, working the wooden box ( the job of the male) and popping in and out.

I could see her bum expanding, and sure enough, last night she laid an egg. Sisters are doing it for themselves!. No mate. no daddy, no chick, instead a wasted month in view trying to hatch a dud egg ( unless she's developed superpowers)

Maybe as the next egg forms, (she should lay again in two days), she will reconsider her mating options. So I returned Fingers to the family home this morning

I dont know which of us was more nervous

watch this space...............................

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well its end of day one for the reunited couple, and no bickering and screaming sessions yet. This might work

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Oh the drama :D

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Oh the drama :D
Lol

Up at 5am this morning and getting ready for my morning bike ride, I hear a chirp from Cha-Cha's cage and peep in under the covers. The pair are out of the nestbox, mating

So my plan worked. Cha-Cha's second egg, due tonight or tomorrow, has a good chance of being fertile.

Xmas day baby?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
and the 2nd egg arrived on cue last night. Only issue is Fingers still thinks the nest needs work and Cha_Cha doesnt. Hmm some bickering but nothing serious

Meanwhile Diva's first hatchling is due in the next couple of days

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can’t wait to see baby Caique photos—if possible, of course!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I can’t wait to see baby Caique photos—if possible, of course!
BABY IS HERE :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Right on cue, day 26. but very quiet. No peeping all day. When I checked the nestbox at 3pm, there he was, empty crop. completely silent

Quick handfeed ( He peeped his thanks twice!) and photo op, and I popped him back in the nest. I want mama to learn how to be a mom. She is not hand raised so I hope the parenting instinct will kick in

It doesnt help that baby is so quiet. Is he really a caique???????

Ill check on him again before bedtime

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww! Just so precious! :xflove: We are rooting for you, little one!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Awwww! Just so precious! :xflove: We are rooting for you, little one!
Just checked him as darkness falls. (Diva was lured out with a nut). His feet were cool, and his crop almost empty. I'm sure his last feed was the one I gave him a couple of hours ago.

His cold feet gave ME cold feet. I stuffed him again and popped him in the incubator

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just checked him as darkness falls. (Diva was lured out with a nut). His feet were cool, and his crop almost empty. I'm sure his last feed was the one I gave him a couple of hours ago.

His cold feet gave ME cold feet. I stuffed him again and popped him in the incubator
I don’t blame you! Well, good luck with the overnight feedings!! I’ve never had to care for a day old bird. I can only begin to imagine!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I don’t blame you! Well, good luck with the overnight feedings!! I’ve never had to care for a day old bird. I can only begin to imagine!
I'm of an age when 5 hours sleep is lots, so feeding baby will not be a problem. Its gonna be great having a month old baby at Christmas. They're so comical at that age

The latest view on overnight feeding is that baby's parents are unlikely to continue night time feeding. But I wont take any chances till baby is very strong. There will be a huge improvement in a week

Right now its 8pm, a full hour after dark, and baby is jigging round his little nest in the incubator, peeping away, full of life

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m really happy for you! I look forward to watching this little one grow!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Morning feed

The little guy is tiny and constantly squirming. The only way to feed him without choking him is to feed from the side with a syringe and let him eat from the stream running over his beak lol

Its messy, but I wont accidentally kill him by shoving food into his lungs

look at that crop, its almost as big as his head

and the NECK. WTH? HUUUUUGE neck lol