• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off we go again!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Caught Fingers and Cha_Cha doing what comes naturally when I got home this afternoon

They didn't breed at all the last two years, and indeed for a long time Cha-Cha wouldn't tolerate her mate in her cage, except for sleeping

So this will be interesting to watch

There had been a lot of nest activity these last couple of weeks, but also a lot of aggression from her Ladyship.

Lady caiques are MUCH MORE warlike than the males

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you let them keep the eggs & raise the babies, or do you pull them?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Both. I pull them if there seems to be a feeding problem

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Oh boy. More feisty little cakes.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
¨Please do not post photos of birds in dangerous situations. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on bird care. We are here to educate and help each other do the best we can do for the birds' best interest. This may bring up discussions on topics such as birds & other pets. Over the years we have seen many of these situations become losses. As Avian Avenue is a close community of people, we take those losses as our own. To educate and bring awareness of these potentially deadly opportunities we ask that you do not post photos of your birds in dangerous situations. This may include:
  • Photos with predatory animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, etc. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen even with very well behaved cats and dogs who are taken by surprise. Cat saliva can be deadly to birds. Saliva toxins can kill within a matter of minutes or a few days. Scratches and bites from both cats and dogs and other animals can cause severe injury and/or death.¨

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
You're right of course. I don't let Any other animals near my babies. But the meme is just so funny

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well we have a new egg this morning, but, as usual with my caiques, theres a story attached

Its not Cha-Chas. There was a big screaming match in the avairy last night where the 3 ( 10 year old) Green thigheds live together. Agression is elevated at this time of year, and there has been night time bickering in the nestbox for the last few nights

Last night I thought this cant go on, went in and separated out the hens. Its never my boys ( sorry ladies, its aways the hens). I opened the hatch, reached in to the nestbox ( hands covered of course) and found them both in the entrance fighting. Grabbbed them and popped them in separate cages.

This morning out they went on the lawn so I could survey the situation. Nest box door ajar, ok that was me, lets fix it. Opened the door, OMG, there it was.

Ten years waiting for an egg. TEN YEARS!. Tell me again how you love caiques but you're worried they will breed and you dont know how to handle it?

I popped the egg in an incubator while I check the lay of the land. I'll know if its fertile in a few days. The chances are more than 80% its infertile, Ive seen no mating activity ( caiques are VERY obvious), and whichever hen it is, this is her first egg.

But which of the hens is responsible?. I have to find out so I can isolate the pair.

Meanwhile the Yellow thigheds have their own issues. Cha-Cha will not tolerate her mate Fingers in "her" cage except for regular afternoon mating. She's demoted him to toy boy. When I open the cage he leaps out on to my hand, eager to get away from her. He purrs in pleasure to be put in a small cage and eventually moved out on to the lawn

Obviously solo confinement is better than lots of space in a big flight with a madwoman

These are the Days of our Lives......

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This thread is basically a soap opera. I'm expecting someone to be whacked on the head with a bust of Queen Victoria any day now. Fingers watch out...

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Just went in to the avairy after my bike spin. Diva sitting overhead with a HUUUGE bum. So we now know the mommybird

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A soap opera... now we need a name!

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
Caught Fingers and Cha_Cha doing what comes naturally when I got home this afternoon

They didn't breed at all the last two years, and indeed for a long time Cha-Cha wouldn't tolerate her mate in her cage, except for sleeping

So this will be interesting to watch

There had been a lot of nest activity these last couple of weeks, but also a lot of aggression from her Ladyship.

Lady caiques are MUCH MORE warlike than the males
i love caiques.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well the first egg was infertile so i threw it out and all went quiet for a few days.

I had to move out Barbie and Num-Nums who liked to share the sleeping arrangements with the breeding pair. There was (and remain) some sulky birds as a result.

Barbie has taken to plucking again to punish me for the change, so I'm applying the same remedy as last time. Change everything. Lots of movement, playtime in the garden, bottlebrush etc. She's clever that girl, cleverer than I am. someday SHE will be writing these updates after she's buried me in the garden.

Meanwhile Barbie's ex, new mate for Diva has taken seriously to the role. I mean he is threateningly VIOLENT if I get anywhere the nestbox. This is a birdie who normally lives in my ear.
But no mating activity that I can see yet. Perhaps its none of my business(!) but Cha-Cha and Fingers used to go at it like having a sandwich in front of me. No big deal.

So I don't wanna disturb the nestbox too much. Diva was parent raised so she should know what to do without any input from me lol

Meanwhile hormones rage everywhere, 8 birds in 7 cages

ho hum

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my!! That is a lot going on! I’m glad you can keep them all straight. I would need a flow chart, lol!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am so confused by your set up John, LOL! It sounds like lots of activity and fun though. I aim to have separate cages for each pair and then the ability to let them out in pairs into a larger flight area and also possibly a outdoor area. We are not there yet but the babies keep coming. I love your updates :)

I was so happy my BHC's came out today and were civil. They stepped up on a perch when bribed with a whole jar of pine nuts and did not try and kill anybirdie while they were out so it was a win. I keep thinking Rainey might step up on my bare hand and not bite me but she has trained me not to try it. LOL! She looks so sweet but I am not fooled :) She is my problem child. Gave me four babies this year though and they are a hoot!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I am so confused by your set up John, LOL! It sounds like lots of activity and fun though. I aim to have separate cages for each pair and then the ability to let them out in pairs into a larger flight area and also possibly a outdoor area. We are not there yet but the babies keep coming. I love your updates :)
It started out so simple. 8 birds, 4 pairs, 4 HUGE cages. Only one pair began breeding ( Fingers + Cha_Cha). Most of the time all were out together in a large aviary. Big converted double garage. So, very much your set up.

Years go by, alliances formed, and inter birdie rivalries emerged. It didn't help that I have two species, when the birdies don't care which species is which. But I do, I cant be the one who allowed mixed species into this very rare bird gene pool. So I split pairings I didn't approve of, as they formed. This didn't help tensions

But all was relatively calm until the curious GTC's decided to raid Cha-Cha's nest while she was on eggs several years ago. They opened the inspection hatch from the outside and raced in and out excitedly shouting like bratty kids in a mall. I didn't discover this for hours, by which time Cha_Cha had lost her mind.

She never forgave them. She holds on to her grudges. Fingers ( her mate) decided the main culprit was Boo-boo, A big bouncy beautiful hopping male. These two adult males will now fight on sight and to the death if I do not quickly intervene.

Any new babies that come along for Fingers and Cha_Cha are now inducted into the religion of their parents. Num-Nums and Nik Nak thus follow the fatwa that their parents issued regarding collaborating with the frenemies the other side of the avairy, and WBC's have enjoyed a numerical advantage until now.

I reduced tensions greatly by moving Fingers and Cha into the house. But this year they have not settled to breed. There is lots of casual sex, along with lots of less casual arguing. Fingers began to climb out of the next box bearing minor battle scars, so now I don't let them spend much time together.

Then ten days ago, Diva (GTC) laid an egg, WTF? after 7 years. I quickly sequestered her in a breeding flight with Ken ( of Ken and Barbie fame). After 7 years of ignoring Diva, he suddenly took to fatherhood and this pair is currently putting on a show as ideal parents. They have two eggs at present, more any day.

His selected mate, Barbie (GTC), took to plucking her feathers as she didn't like not being allowed into the GTC nest box as usual. So she happily spends the day with me now, often contributing on technical software issues during my conference calls.

And the babies reached puberty. The hormones hit big time this month.

So you see, its all as clear as mud

LOL

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my! That has been quite a soap opera for you! I’m glad Barbie has been able to hang out with you!