• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odin's tail and tiny stature

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
The more I read, the more I am finding that compared to "norms" Odin is incredibly small. He is about 4 inches from top of head to bum. Not including tail.... that's the next concern. I was at a pet store out of town this weekend and saw a tiel, he was huge compared to Odin.

Is it possible he is much younger than the store said? Is there such thing as runts with birds?

Also, his tail is down to one attached feather, I have done enough reading to know that this is normal, he is clumsy. But now I am wondering if it is due to age? How would I know for sure how old he is?

Not that it will make much difference in his life with me, but maybe nutritionally I should be giving him something?
I will post his pic from yesterda so you can see the tail and his size. Though there is not alot to compare it with.... odie.jpg odin.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There isn't really a way to tell a tiel's age. First molt usually occurs around 6 months so that can give an guesstimate. Tiels come in all different sizes. As long as he's eating, normal poops, etc. I wouldn't worry. Do you know how much he weighs? Sunny only weighs 74 grams which is on the small side for a tiel but his vet says it's a good weight for him. He's just little (but don't tell him- he thinks he's big. ;))

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
@sunnysmom .... LOL at the small joke! Odin thinks he IS indeed a Norse God! I have not weighed him, I don't have a scale. I will see what I can do.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Odin looks young to me. Can you get a gram scale to weigh him? Can often be bought at stores like Walmart or Target. (not sure what stores are in Canada)

Some birds are naturally larger than others. Some have different metabolisms than others. Some eat different foods than others. Some are specifically bred to be larger!

I have one cockatiel that often weighs less than 90 grams, one that hovers around 90 grams, another that is easily 96-106 grams, and one that is often pudgy at over 110 grams!

I have heard of cockatiels being bred for size, anywhere from 180-250 grams! :eeeek: That's about as big as my mitred conure! :scared3:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can get those postage/kitchen scales from any store, really. I got mine at Costco.

What does the vet say about his size/weight? If the vet's not worried, I wouldn't be worried.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our Igor is the smallest of the tiels- barely 94g. Mocha is 105g and Goalie, our girl, is 125g!

@Monica - a 250g tiel is crazy- and a bit scary!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Our Igor is the smallest of the tiels- barely 94g. Mocha is 105g and Goalie, our girl, is 125g!

@Monica - a 250g tiel is crazy- and a bit scary!
Oh my goodness- all of your tiels are Goliaths compared to Sunny. :wideyed: And I can't even imagine a 250 gram tiel. That's almost 4 Sunnys............

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd was a Maxie Pionus but he was very skinny his whole life with me. He averaged 214 grams and had bad feathers on one wing so he never flew well and tended to walk everywhere and make short hops. He also had Huge thighs.
He also was very loving and happy with his lot in life. He lived 31 years with me and was wild caught in the late 70's as far as I can tell with his brother Ferd who I got as a package deal. Ferd was big, calm, and outgoing, Nerd was cautious, nervous, and small. Ferd died a few years in and Nerd soldiered on with me.
As long as he's happy and eating well I wouldn't worry too much, he's just a mini version.