• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odin

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Meet Odin, also knows as Odincito, Psycho-Kitty, and Gato Malo. He's 8 years old and a total weirdo. We adopted him 6 years ago and it's been an interesting ride. His original name was Wodan, which just isn't easy to say. If you're up on your mythology, Wodan is an early form of Odin, so the change was easy. He answered to it, so that was all that mattered.

We were told he was a grumpy kitty and would need someone who could deal with him. I turned a feral Maine Coon into the best cat I've ever had, so I was up for the challenge. Not long after he joined us we started to see some odd behavior. Screaming, hissing, really defensive and aggressive actions. It wasn't an easy time, but we made slow progress. Calming pheromones for cats are a great thing. Earlier this year, we discovered he was suffering from kidney failure. Eight is really young for a cat to be experiencing that, and after going over his history with the vet, it appears that he may have had this all of his life. The screaming, hissing and such may have all been related to discomfort and pain. Now that he's on a prescription food made for cats with kidney issues, he's a completely different cat. He's become a complete cuddle kitty. He actively seeks me out for attention and affection. There is no more of the hissing, and snarling. Just love. He's still weird - he goes into the shower late at night and screams into the drain. I tell him to stop trying to summon the devil in the middle of the night.

His health is stable. I wasn't sure he would see his 8th birthday, but he did, so I'm happy about that. My last cat lived to be 17. I'm realistic that he probably won't make it anywhere close to that. In the meantime, I'm giving him the best life I can.

The name Odincito came from my 3-year-old granddaughter. She was super impressed with him. Odin, on the other hand, was not impressed with the small human that wanted to pet him.

He's not impressed with the birds inside. He really wants one of the outside birds, but he hasn't figured out how that will work since I won't let him outside. My blue crown conure, Wasabi, bit him one day, and since then he's had a healthy fear of the birds. I've done nothing to discourage his fear. That being said, he's also a cat, and because of that, I'll never leave the birds alone when they are out of the cage. It would be hard to be angry at him for grabbing a snack if the opportunity presented itself. It's what cats do.

Attachments

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
What a pretty kitty:heart:
Especially for being a draindevil summoning weirdo lol Cats are definitely “unique” :wacky:

Glad his health is stable now, hope you have many more years together!

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Aww he’s adorable!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aww cutie! I'm going to post about my cats here shortly, I have two black cats. Actually they're my third and fourth black cats, I had a pair of girls for many years. Black are my favorite!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I play a few games with him. Once in a while he will get very demanding with me. It's like I have to pet him that exact moment in time and he doesn't care what else I may be doing. In return, I follow him around the house. I don't talk to him, or touch him, I just walk behind him. It goes on for a few minutes and he gets really annoyed with me. He starts to meow and makes noises like he's getting agitated. The more he walks, the more I follow him. Eventually, he gives up and either flops down on the floor, or goes behind something and then waits for me to give up and walk away. I'll go sit down and almost right away, he's in my lap purring. I will tell him it's time for bed and he will start to follow me towards the bedroom. I'll slip into another room and then come out behind him when he passes. He doesn't like it that I've managed to sneak up on him. In return, I'll be walking down the hall, and he jumps out of the bathroom at me. When I do get into bed, he lays on me in one way or another. I'm his personal pillow. Usually, he will be on my chest with his head under my chin. This is fine until he gives me a love bite on my neck and then runs out of the bedroom.