• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Odie had an accident

odie

Moving in
Real Name
Nicole
A few days ago my cockatiel flew into a fly trap. We called the vet and was told to use veg. oil to get the sticky part off. After we used a mild dish soap to help get the oil off. Problem is two days later he still looks extreamly oily. I called an avian vet and he said it may take a few days to get the feathers back to normal. But somehow I get a bad feeling he isnt going to look the same again. Any advice? I am worried about my poor odie. He seems tired alot but im thinking its because he is not sleeping at night cause he is itchy. :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Nicole. I recommend you get Odie in to see an avian vet. I believe there may be other properties to that fly trap, not just a stickiness. Seems I have been told a few times not to use them around birds. Did you use regular dawn soap? Welcome to Avian Avenue.:hug8:

odie

Moving in
Real Name
Nicole
The vet said, he sees this often. There is no poisens in the trap so there was no need to take him in yet unless he had change in behavior. Im just worried if my odie's feathers are going to be ok. He is so itchy

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
idk bout the 'oil' but if it were to happen again: flour. simple baking flour. my dear lil caique got stuck to a window fly trap and i put handfuls of flour on him and the sticky fly paper. it works 100000000 times better than oil... (for humans too! ;))

the best method i've heard to remove oil is blue dawn dish soap. a dab will do ya, ya dont need alot. and rinse it well. i wouldnt wash him often since it will dry his skin out and THAT will definitely make him itchy. i'm told that oil on their feathers interferes with body temp controls. so he may be having trouble controlling his body temp.

worst case, the feathers will eventually molt out and be replaced by nice healthy feathers.

btw, after my dear lil caique got stuck to the fly paper, i quit using it. :rolleyes:

and as always, remember i'm not a medical professional, have no training at all in parrot care other than reading some books and websites, and am just as prone to poor judgement as the next guy. ;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
When that happened to our tiel, Indie, the two things to use were peanut butter and vegetable oil followed by a gentle washing with Dawn. I have to admit, if it makes you feel any better, that Indie looked pretty pathetic and very sorry for herself after it happened. The flytrap had been hanging in the corner of the laundry room which the birds "never" are allowed into except for the one time Indie got spooked and zoomed in there just a I was coming into the kitchen from the laundry room. I believe your little fid will be okay but they do look very sad. :hug8::hug8:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy

and as always, remember i'm not a medical professional, have no training at all in parrot care other than reading some books and websites, and am just as prone to poor judgement as the next guy. ;)
AND you are a very entertaining writer! Keep it up.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
get him to an avian vet ASAP...insist on it no matter what the vet says..or go to a different vet..and for the love of god, get rid of those fly traps..they should be no where around a bird...one of the most horrific things I ever read was about 7 years ago on another board a ladies birdie flew into a fly trap and despite many washings, the bird ended up dying (I will not go into details.)..PLEASE I URGE YOU GET HIM INTO THE VET..the sticky part of the fly trap is not good to ingest..even if it is not poison..all that gunk...GET HIM IN THERE..I U RGE YOU

odie

Moving in
Real Name
Nicole
I must admit He is looking beter than 2 days ago. And yeah first think i did was throw those traps away. I will wait a few days to wash him again. But I (mist) spray him 2 times a day with warm water and keep the room temp. around 77 - 78 degrees. The only thing that is bothering me is that he seems to be so tired. Could that be cause he sleeps bad due to the itching.?

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
its hard to say why he may be tired. THAT, more than the fly paper, may warrant a visit to the vet. tired, fluffy, changes in behavior are MUCH more alarming to me here. there may be more going on than meets the eye with your lil one.

btw folks, notice that the OP is is Holland. things are different in different countries, as has been discussed here on the avenue in the past. ;)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Unfortunatly I had one of my tiels do the same with a sticky roach trap, it was all over his wing, the vet cut the trap off with a ton of feathers, he was pretty sadden with himself. But Im glad I took him in instead of trying to get it off myself. Just as a precaution, you may want have him seen, like Anne said, he may be trying to preen that stuff off and you dont want him getting any inside his mouth. Good luck, I hope the little guy feels better.:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have also been told peanut butter works well for removing the stickiness, followed by original blue Dawn dish soap. I think you have gotten good advice already. Best wishes for you and your baby.

odie

Moving in
Real Name
Nicole
Just incase you guys were wondering. I took my odie to the vet. He is fine just exhausted! He needs lots of rest and water cause of the oil in his wings. Thanks for your posts! My baby is going to be just fine :dance4:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad you took him to the vet..hope you got rid of that flypaper!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I must admit He is looking beter than 2 days ago. And yeah first think i did was throw those traps away. I will wait a few days to wash him again. But I (mist) spray him 2 times a day with warm water and keep the room temp. around 77 - 78 degrees. The only thing that is bothering me is that he seems to be so tired. Could that be cause he sleeps bad due to the itching.?
That would have more to do with the "struggling" he did while in the trap and all the fuss you had to do handling him to get it off. It was a heck of a workout for him.