• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd question about pionus head petting

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
I have an easy time petting most birds, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong with my pionus.

She will sometimes get her head feathers all fluffed up like she wants to be petted. I've tried petting her head many different ways, but she usually just gives me like 2-5 seconds to attempt to pet her, then rams her head against my hand and loses interest.

She always rubs her head against my hand in the direction of her feathers, rather than the opposite direction (how most birds like to be petted). I don't know if I'm just bad at petting her, or if she just doesn't like petting that much, or what. If anyone has any unique experience petting this type of bird, I'd appreciate any advice. :) Every time she fluffs up her head feathers then doesn't like my petting, I feel like I've let her down somehow lol

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I'm not an expert on Pionus behavior, but it sounds like she might be ramming her head because she likes it. Especially if she's molting, she may want to rub up against you more roughly. Also, not all birds like to be pet in the opposite direction of their feathers. It really depends on the bird and can differ a lot depending on the species I've noticed. If you really get the sense that she's disliking it, try petting gently in the other direction.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Andre does not like his feathers ruffled. Even when he scratches his own head he puts his foot up there and opens and closes it in the feathers. It may be a personal preference for certain birds.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leia also sometimes likes her head stroked in the direction of the feathers rather than scratched. She sometimes butts her head into my hand like a cat if she wants more focused "preening" over her eyelids, ears or beak.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Toro, my Pionus, doesn't seem to like getting petting very much. Usually she allows it for about 10 seconds or less and then gets uncomfortable and moves her head away. Some birds are just more cuddly about it than others :)

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
My guy only likes his head scratched when he wants it. He does allow me to go the opposite direction with his head feathers.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Head scritches are my 2 pi's favorite thing in the morning when they get uncovered. I open the cage scratch their heads feed them and then have to leave for work.

MyPiOwnsUs

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
My WCP is fussy about head scritches too (she's fussy about everything, really). She prefers more how my husband scritches, which is super lightly, just kinda slowly caressing the tips of her head feathers, whereas I'm the mama bird, so I tend to get in there an preen (although I try to do it like papa does, especially when she's not molting). But even when I do it right, it's only usually for a few seconds and she's over it and gives me a "meh" and half-mouths me to go away, which I do. I don't force it; we do everything on Cricket's terms and luckily she communicates well. In general, she's a hands-off bird (she likes to be near us, but not on us or touched a lot), but sometimes, usually during molting season when she's itchy, she'll let us give her a marathon scritch. But for the most part, it's a couple seconds and a "buzz off!" And I've seen her rub her head against her toys in the direction of her feathers (both directions actually), so I figure it just must feel good. It's very cute. My take on it is that Pis are known for being kinda pushy and demanding (YMMV, of course, since all birds are unique), so when Cricket is being a fuss-budget, I feel proud that I've got a healthy bird who feels comfortable enough with us to be herself.

Oh, and as far as "most parrots" are concerned, if it helps any, my new vet described Pis as "just kinda different" from other parrots, in his experience. I think he was speaking mostly to their independence, as opposed to some of the clingier breeds out there. Again, clinginess is up to the individual bird. Our bird is clingy in the sense that when we're out of the room, she'll cheep (sometimes call loudly, but it's rare) for us to come back. She wants her flock in the same room with her. But in terms of physical clinginess, no way. She's good. :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Sorry for late reply..
Every time she fluffs up her head feathers then doesn't like my petting, I feel like I've let her down somehow lol
A Pi can fluff her head for two reasons. 1. She want you to preen her. 2. She is exited.
If it's #2. Don't touch her.
If anyone has any unique experience petting this type of bird, I'd appreciate any advice. :)
You are doing something wrong or she doesn't trust you. Once you have learn what she wants and when she trust you, you will have a lot of head scratching moments.

MyPiOwnsUs

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
You are doing something wrong or she doesn't trust you. Once you have learn what she wants and when she trust you, you will have a lot of head scratching moments.
Not necessarily. Some birds are just more hands off than others, or her bird might be having a hands off moment. My WCP wants more scritches during breeding season (when she gets clingier) and while molting (when she's itchy and needs her head preened), but if she's neither, she doesn't want many scritches and/or she doesn't want them for long.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not necessarily. Some birds are just more hands off than others, or her bird might be having a hands off moment.
If they beg they are not hands off. And that was the question I answered too.

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
Yeah she's a really friendly bird, not nervous or hands-off at all, so that's why it seemed a bit weird. I experimented with some things after reading the information from the responses here. She's growing in a lot of new feathers right now and seems to like the side of her face rubbed rather roughly, which someone here suggested so that was very helpful advice. Sometimes lately I try to hand her a piece of food, and she'll rub her head on the food if she wants the side of her head rubbed, lol. I guess just strange preferences. Thanks for all the advice :)