• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd new behaviour from lovebird

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Does anyone know what this behavour is? My lovebird just started doing it. Shes about 11 months give or take a couple weeks so I assume it has something to do with hormones. Otherwise her behaviour hasnt changed. She also isn't DNA'd I just call her a she.

She tends to do it if I give her a treat, especially if its behind her. She isn't clipped and gets lots of flying time and has a huge cage. Sometimes its accompanied with leaning forward and raising her tail slightly. I don't touch her anywhere but the head and neck.

Attachments

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I think it’s just a display of excitement or stretching her wings. It may be hormonal but I wouldn’t worry about it as long you continue not to encourage her to see you as a sexual partner

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I do think this is hormonal female behaviour, especially as your hand is involved a lot.
I'd like to hear from @Zara on this.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It does look a little bit like the display females make when they want to be mounted, so it could very well be hormonal.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It does look a little bit like the display females make when they want to be mounted, so it could very well be hormonal.
I agree.
You know, my Sydney does a half wing stretch just like this whilst going through the motions with his girlfriend. I am assuming him male, no eggs in years, I feel he is too old to be a female late layer.
I would stop feeding the treats from behind.. more so because that is what my boys sometimes do to each other, they regurgitate on the others rump (but re-eat it).
I wouldn´t say this display can help you sex your bird any more.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
K thats what I thought. She hasn't done any other hormonal behaviors yet apart from occasionally trying to find dark spots in my blankets but I try to take her out quickly.

When do lovebirds start laying eggs? and assuming she is female and starts laying what should I give her so she doesn't become egg bound.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When do lovebirds start laying eggs?
Anywhere after about 5- 6 months old.

and assuming she is female and starts laying what should I give her so she doesn't become egg bound.
Daily flight time in the room, very very important.
Daily veggies.
Pellets are good.

You know, my Sydney does a half wing stretch just like this whilst going through the motions with his girlfriend
Here is a video, it´s quite old now, but you can see all the different moves. My males do these things. If you open the video on youtube I put time stamps in the description box so you can click them to see the different things. I listed this wing movement as ¨wing flick¨, because sometimes it is extremely subtle, other times it is almost like a hen.
Also, there is Adelie demonstrating what hens do :lol:

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Thank you! That what she seems to be doing. I do all the things you listed in preventing egg binding so fingers cross that never happens. Thats why I often prefer males since Im always nervous that she might get egg bound :/