• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd feather color

mangobird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sam
Hi everyone, I got offered a black cap caique and am 100% planning to get him, but his feather color is very odd. The owner said he’s pied, but could this be indicative of health issues? I don’t want to bring in a bird that’s sick that could cause issues for my other fids. I’d love some opinions. Thank you :)

958C1F27-3CA6-458C-B602-C588D7243765.jpeg

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I don't know of a pied caique either (but I'm no expert). In my experience, my caique, Mickey, was under a lot of stress last fall from red flour beetles....I feel so bad for putting her through it :wideyed: :sad1: (these bugs were in her food). The beautiful green feathers on her back started to have a few yellow spots, which actually looked pretty but I knew that it was a sign of stress. I corrected the problem and her feathers are coming back in full green....I think that she has 2 left with yellow spots (hasn't molted them out yet). That coloring may be a sign of stress....vet check is required before you get the bird.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have a hen who used to pluck. When the feathers grew back some were yellow. She is on exactly the same diet as the other 7 who have no feather issues. A trusted breeder says she has a similar bird. Stress related. Vet checks ony girl showed nothing unusual

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
So if you get the bird, it will cause an immediate change in his environment, which is great. Get a new bigger cage. New diet based on fruit and veg. And you should see results. But there may be liver issues behind this and the only way to be sure is vet tests