• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd comfort noise?

RaisingMan

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
A little background: I used to foster for a parrot rescue about ten years ago. It was a trial by fire; I was young, thought book learning was enough, and learned I was an idiot but also that I loved parrots and learned quickly.

I also owned a green cheek that I fell in love with from the rescue and adopted, but had a terrible husband at the time that sold her while I was on deployment. All so he could buy weed. But that's an entirely different, heartbreaking story. My point being, I'm no expert, but I'm not entirely a newbie.

So, my (probably dumb) question is...is a "haaaa" sound from a happy conure normal or should I already be making a vet appointment for possible respiratory issues probably brought on from the stress of being rehomed? He will hop to my shoulder, fluff up his head, give me the "love you" eyes, then open his beak like a yawn and make a "haaaaaaa" noise. I would say it sounds almost like a hiss or a wordless whisper, but he's definitely not angry lol.

There are no other signs of illness: no tail bobbing, no fast breathing, poops look as they should, he's active (though I'll admit I haven't had him long enough to know what his normal activity level is), no shivering, really nothing I can tell, but that doesn't mean much with a bird hiding his issues.

I'm a nervous nelly when it comes to bird illness because I've seen first hand how quickly a sick bird deteriorates. Most of the fosters I took in were already sick and in treatment; many passed or were rushed back to the vet for lengthy stays. It was never pretty and always a heartbreak. So, if it seems like I'm being too careful or a hypochondriac, that's the reason.

20191207_132336.jpg Picture of Mango looking handsome perching on my daughter's knee as an advanced thank you!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi! Welcome! I can't answer your question, but I wanted to say you have come to the right place.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's almost impossible to tell if anything is wrong with your baby from a photograph. Watch him closely for any symptoms and if you see anything unusual get him into the Vet. If you continue to feel uneasy about his health without symptoms - take him to the vet for your own peace of mind.

Most of us old timers don't take chances and take a new bird to the vet for a wellness check within the first week of getting them.

RaisingMan

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
It's almost impossible to tell if anything is wrong with your baby from a photograph. Watch him closely for any symptoms and if you see anything unusual get him into the Vet. If you continue to feel uneasy about his health without symptoms - take him to the vet for your own peace of mind.

Most of us old timers don't take chances and take a new bird to the vet for a wellness check within the first week of getting them.
Oh, the picture was just for fun!

I do have an introductory vet appointment (mainly just to get Mango used to the new vet and answer any questions I have) set up in two weeks with an avian vet. He was vetted a week before he was rehomed to me also, and was given a clean bill of health, but I know a lot can happen in a week especially with stress.

I know conures also make a lot of odd noises, so I was hoping to see if anyone else's conure might make it as a content noise, or if it was truly something to watch.

Either way, I'm going to watch him closely! I'm also going to set up a daily weight log, just in case. Again, I'm a worry wort lol. Thank you for your advice! :thanks:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great picture :)
I hope all goes smoothly at the vet.

@DoubleTake has sun experience

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
What a beauty!

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
Suns and jendays are known for some weird sounds! My sun conure has always made weird little noises, and the vet thinks shes just fine :)

That sucks about your ex! I have no idea of how anyone could do that to someone!
Good luck with your new family member <3

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Great picture :)
I hope all goes smoothly at the vet.

@DoubleTake has sun experience
Couldn't tell ya without seeing a video of it. Does he do it everytime? Does seem like wheezingm? If the bird seems normal, it was probably something he picked up from his previous family. Seeing that you have a vet visit, let's all hope for the best.

RaisingMan

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Couldn't tell ya without seeing a video of it. Does he do it everytime? Does seem like wheezingm? If the bird seems normal, it was probably something he picked up from his previous family. Seeing that you have a vet visit, let's all hope for the best.
He does seem to do it every time so far! I don't know why I didn't think to ask his prior mom...I'll send her a message tonight and see if it's something she had done with him. I gotta learn how to keep it simple, lol!

I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow and post it! It'll be good to take to the bet as well. :thanks:

RaisingMan

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Suns and jendays are known for some weird sounds! My sun conure has always made weird little noises, and the vet thinks shes just fine :)

That sucks about your ex! I have no idea of how anyone could do that to someone!
Good luck with your new family member <3
He was quite the person. I try not to hold onto that part of my life so I'll leave it at that lol. That was ten years ago, and it's taken me that long, and a stable and supportive partner, to consider another bird. She was my little buddy, and I miss her to bits even now.

I'm glad to know in advance that Mango will be prone to weird noises! My vet will probably put me on the "crazy bird mom with a ton of questions" list by the time Mango hits adulthood... :laughing7:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I haven't gotten this to happen while the camera is rolling, but Rupert occasionally lets out a weird, airy noise, but it's usually after he's landed after flying... or sometimes when he's spooked by something.

I know our species aren't the same, but this is what he does when he's happy. Look at that little tongue!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That's a happy camper right there. Nerd used to look at me with happy eyes and say ERK! signifying all was right in his world. He was a Maxi Pionus but they all have happy noises they like to make.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
That's a happy camper right there. Nerd used to look at me with happy eyes and say ERK! signifying all was right in his world. He was a Maxi Pionus but they all have happy noises they like to make.
That sounds hilarious! Yeah, he's a pretty easy-to-please bird. :)

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Unfortunately I’m not qualified to answer this question but had to post just to say thanks for the Mango pic :loveshower:

And also @Peachfaced thank you as well for the Rupert vid:heart:
What cute lil beans !

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I haven't gotten this to happen while the camera is rolling, but Rupert occasionally lets out a weird, airy noise, but it's usually after he's landed after flying... or sometimes when he's spooked by something.

I know our species aren't the same, but this is what he does when he's happy. Look at that little tongue!
:lol: Rupert is so adorable! What a funny little sound :cloud9: :loveshower: