• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd black spot on leg- have you seen this before?

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
Hello all, I was curious to know if any of you have seen a spot (not sure what to call it) like this on a bird before. After visits to the vet, it is still unclear what it might be. Here are some pictures and background info:

2EC8F9B4-217E-400A-8DC9-ACD6E3853068.jpeg
D75136EF-0B06-44D1-BCFE-5E13CF30B73B.jpeg
This was before the initial vet visit. She was having a cuddly day when I noticed this big black spot. When prodding it, it felt hard to the touch. I couldn’t get a super focused picture with my phone, but to describe it, it was as if something was beneath the skin, like a scab or a hard blackhead. In fact, once removed, the vet reported that she was able to jostle it a bit and the large black piece fell out.

She wasn’t 100 percent sure what it was. I had suspicions that it might be because of the band on her leg, or because she had been exploring drawers and dark places recently and scratched herself. After hearing this, the vet advised that we monitor it a bit before doing anything more drastic, and asked that I discourage things that cause hormones (ie: getting rid of the grass tent that she would sleep in, not allowing her to go inside drawers, etc)

9BA8894A-8586-4543-B29E-316BEB4FB5C0.jpeg
This is what it looked like preceding the next visit a couple weeks later. The grey that was deeper inside the hole left by the black mass seemed to be pushing toward the surface of the skin as well. But when the vet picked at it with tweezers, it behaved more like skin than the big black piece did last time. She didn’t feel comfortable removing it.

She recommended anesthesia for band removal and a blood test, so that’s what we did. The results came back today- everything perfect. Liver working well, no visible issues. She did say that the skin on the leg that had the band is more calloused than the other, and I’m applying this prescribed cream 2x a day to see if it helps. Here’s how the leg looks at the moment:

08B5AE30-DCF6-4DBA-A588-CF547C2EF74F.png
I can definitely see a ridge where the band was. Hoping this will get better over time. Any knowledge on the subject appreciated.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feel like it’s from the band, and it looks very similar to the scab my bird had when she had the beginnings of bumblefoot. Regardless, I would probably have the band removed, since the can be a hazard. Your birds a cutie btw!

aDORYble

Strolling the yard
I feel like it’s from the band, and it looks very similar to the scab my bird had when she had the beginnings of bumblefoot. Regardless, I would probably have the band removed, since the can be a hazard. Your birds a cutie btw!
Oh wow, now that I google them it does look very similar!!! Yes, her band was removed Thursday. I bet it feels like a weight is lifted off her.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I have nothing to add except...what a CUTIE!!! :heart: And it looks like the spot is healing up well....something to monitor to look for changes over time.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I missed the part about the band removal. That’s great it was removed, and hopefully now it will heal quickly!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for getting the band removed,,Hopefully that little booboo will heal quickly.