• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2019 Mayor of the Avenue... Just-passn-thru

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Suzanne is October's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have a pair of Major Mitchells’ Cockatoos, Bentley is 19 yrs. Old
Isabelle is 5 ½ yrs. Old

I also have a pair if lovely Mutation Australian red-rump Parakeets
Chipper is a very beautifully marked Opaline and Pearl is a very lovely intense Blue.
They are 3 yrs. old

2. What got you interested in birds?

Growing-up my family always had exotics, birds, monkeys, farm animals
My roots go back to pre-Fidel Castro “Cuba” I was born in Miami Florida. But my family also lived in Cuba until Castro régime took over.
In Cuba many people had parrots as part of the household.

In Florida my family raced thoroughbred horses we had a 50-acre boarding and racing farm.
I grew up with many animals. My mother would let me bring the baby goats to bed with me to sleep.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

So many things… the diversity of species, each one so beautiful in their own unique way.
Order and consistency, all nature demands order. Through observation, in order to thrive we must have order and continuity. They have given me an opportunity “a gift” to be mindful and have purpose.
I will try to uphold my commitment to honor the gift that thy are.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Mindfulness in the moment. They keep me grounded, when I am having meltdowns they look at me so quietly.
I realize I have to be strong for them, they depend on me, I made that promise to them.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

When my Rosie Breasted Cockatoo "Kiwi" passed away.
Bentley and I were so deeply grief stricken.
My sweet boy B-bird “Bentley” crawled inside a box that KIWI liked to play in, and rocked and rocked, with his head down, it was heart breaking. They were good buddies.
I decided to find him a friend, I came across a local breeder who had a 6-month-old Major Mitchell Female. Isabelle has brought so much joy back into his life and mine. She’s such a sweetheart, she has made all the difference in Bentley, he has come out of his shell. He has always been shy and apprehensive. Miss Isabelle has been showing him how to have fun a relax. She's our Sweet Sweet Miss Isabelle

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Family room, we are all mostly in that room

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes, I purchased a safe celling fan, they have double Java Tree
The patio door has a double screen door

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I like to follow Chan the bird Man, Love watching him with his Macaws free flying. I would like one day for him to give me a few training tips on recall with my birds. I don’t have any interest to free fly them outdoors, but for safety reasons I would like them to have that skill, we do recall in-doors. Chan can help me get the birds used to harness. I also follow a couple bird clubs on Facebook

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

My back yard turned into an avian enclosure

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

My dream bird has always been Major Mitchell Cockatoos back in the 70’s and 80’s
They were so expensive. They have come down considerably in price.
I think the little Gang Gangs’ are precious, but at $30,000 not happening LOL !

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Chipper & Pearl are the first to wake up, I start-up the lever espresso machine, while the boiler is heating up, I uncover the birds, Feed the fish and turtle in the pond. Press my espresso, froth the milk for a latte. Open the top of the MM2’S cage, Isabelle is the first to fly over to the Java Tree. Make our Latte sit at the table, Isabelle and Bentley hang out till we finish coffie. Then I get them motivated to do their flight laps, after that, hang out on their Java tree, While I do chores. Around 2pm They put themselves back into their cage, snack a little on their food, take a nap until about 4pm. Then they are ready to come out and get more flight time in before settling down on the Java tree waiting for dinner and watching TV or whatever else I’m doing. Isabelle likes to help in the kitchen she sits on my shoulder while I do dishes, or she like to steal veggies when I'm preparing our dinners.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

A lot of work, commitment, veterinary cost for exotic/ avian is triple the amount you would pay for dog and cat, and even their care has become very expensive.
Research the species you are interested in. Be realistic about your expatiations and the long term commitment.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I did what I thought was right at the time, given what resources were available , we all evolve hopefully into something better then what we once were . I believe it's all cumulative and we never get done, growing and learning. Todays technology has offered so much available information. I believe the future care givers of all the animals, will continue to embrace the ability to empower themselves and others to do what's right for all creatures we share this planet with.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Gardening, water gardening, koi keeping, Classical Piano

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Thank You for appointing me Mayor of Avian Avenue for October
I’m deeply honored and appreciative.
From our flock to yours … thank you for the recognition

20171214_115513.jpg 20180804_184118.jpg 20190110_191647.jpg 20180326_174120.jpg

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations!!! Well deserved! :congratsbig:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:congratsbig:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations!!!

I loved reading your interview especially the part about you taking goats to bed lol what a cool mum!

We had some little red rumps in our back yard the other day, such beautiful birds no matter what colour they are.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! I learned so much about you & your flock in that interview.

:bighug:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
What a great choice and an awesome interview!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:congrats5:

Great choice for mayor! I loved reading more about you and your flock and I have to second what Shezbug said about your mom. I'm so jealous! Wish I could've slept with goats as a child! :joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.