• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2017 Mayor of the Avenue... cosmolove

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Erica is October's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Ralphie -- Blue Crown Conure -- 7.5 years old
Wilma -- Eclectus -- 2.5 years old
Millie -- African Grey -- ~6ish years old

2. What got you interested in birds?

Way back in high school I worked at a pet store that at the time carried large birds. I fell in love with two cockatoos Elvis and Celeste. The store had an untame older pair of lovebirds that no one wanted to naturally I wanted them! They taught me so much! Once they passed I knew I wanted another eventually. At this store we would get "rewards" for meeting our numbers which were $20 in store credits. I saved up my credits for almost two years and then I met Ralphie and couldn't live without him!

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Stress.....Just kidding! Well only partially! I always stress and worry about my birds like I'm sure we all do! They also have brought a lot of purpose into my life. I am very thankful to have the opportunity now to rescue "misfits" that no one wants and give them a soft place to land. The birds bring so much happiness and help my children learn about responsibility.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

The biggest lesson I learned from birds was to respect their space and they all don't want you in their face! [Trust me, I had a green cheek conure lip ring once as proof]. I've also learned that often all they need is time and love, which ironically I've found works with people too! Working with birds that haven't had the best life really shows you how proving you care and being willing to take the extra time goes a long way!

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Wow I have so many, its hard to pick just one! Probably my favorite memory had to do with a little handicap lovebird that I no longer have. We rescued him from a petstore that had ignored an injury on his foot which ended up getting infected. When we found him I purchased him right away and took him to the vet. They had told me he probably only had another day or two to live based on the infection. I remember the day after he came home from having his foot amputated. The next morning he woke up and was all happy and chirping away and literally when I looked over at him he was completely in his little bowl rolling around in his seed. <3

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Currently that is a loaded question. Right this second I have one in the "bird room", one in the living room, and one in QT because we just rescued her. Eventually they'll all be in the bird room which was previously a master bedroom.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Non-stick cookware! All these years later and I still get some food stuck to my pans!!

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I'm in a local FB bird group but its not very active so this is my primary place to talk birds :D

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An outdoor avairy!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I would love a golden conure or a rose breasted cockatoo. I doubt I'll ever buy a bird from a breeder or pet store again so I am perfectly content with whatever falls onto my lap that needs my help!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Mornings while getting ready for work we talk to all the birds. We leave the TV on for the african grey when we're gone because she is alone currently. When we get home after the dogs get outside they each get individual out of cage time or at least open door time. We let them decide if they want out or not. They have about the same bed time as my kids so around 8pm kiddos and birdies go to bed :)

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

The quicker you learn that your bird wears "the pants" the easier your life with get :p

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Way back when I first started in birds I automatically assumed anyone with a plucked bird was an inadequate owner and that plucked birds weren't pretty enough for me to own or deal with. Now I am the proud owner of a half nakie eclectus and a grey that chews her feathers. I wish I could get them to stop but they're still worth giving a home to even if they aren't in perfect feather! :)

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I am also owned by Siberian Huskies so as a family we often go hiking and mountain climbing with the kids and dogs :)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I can't wait to continue to get to know everyone here and you all have reminded me why I fell in love with parrots in the first place! Thank you so much for everything you have taught me thus far and everything you will continue to teach me!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratsbig: Great interview!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!
:fairy2:
I enjoyed reading your interview.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I loved reading your answers and getting to know you more! You sound FANTASTIC AND CONGRATULATIONS!! :hug8::dance4:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Congrats!!!! :cheer:

I enjoyed reading this interview.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Congrats!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
What a nice interview, I loved the part about the lovebird with the amputated foot!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
:giveme5:
Congratulations!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month