• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2016 Mayor of the Avenue... sunnysmom

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that sunnysmom is October's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Currently, I do not "own" a bird. We haven’t gotten another bird since our sweet Sunny passed away in July. We don’t know his exact hatch day but he was hatched in 1996 (although we celebrated Oct. 13 for his hatch day). So he was or almost was 20, which is pretty old for a cockatiel. His passing was still very unexpected as he seemed to be doing great. I’m still heartbroken over losing him and think it’s still too soon for us to get another bird(s).

I do have an adorable little godfid though- Sunshine, who is @cassiesdad's cockatiel. I got to meet Sunshine over Labor Day weekend, along with some of Bob’s other fids, and Bob very kindly asked me to be Sunshine’s godmother. :)

And as of Wednesday evening, I have a little foster lovebird from our local animal shelter. As I'm writing this we don't know too much about him yet - if he's even a "he". But we thought fostering would be a good step to help us heal some over losing Sunny and help a bird in need in the process.

2. What got you interested in birds?

Sunny. LOL. I grew up in a small town and we didn’t have birds in any pet stores, etc. I never knew anyone with birds, and really had never thought of having one as a pet. The only birds I had been exposed to were my great aunt’s chickens on her farm. Then, Sunny’s former owner passed away and left Sunny to my fiancé in her will. I came home from work one day, and there was Sunny. I honestly wasn’t sure that we were the right home for him. We knew nothing about birds. (Well, my fiancé thought he did…. But in reality, didn’t.) But Sunny had other ideas. I think he pretty much fell in love with me from day one. The first time Sunny came out of his cage (on his own- we didn’t want to force him) he climbed out, walked across the top of his cage, put his head against my shoulder and looked up at me and purred.:xflove: My heart completely melted, and I knew then for sure that we were meant to be his forever home and I promised him that I was going to do everything possible to give him the best life I could.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Joy.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Sharing my life with Sunny has given me a deep love and appreciation for parrots. I really had no idea how smart, funny, affectionate, etc. they were until we got him. Now, I’m semi-obsessed with them. I love reading about everyone’s birds on the forum and learning all I can.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

It took Sunny several months before he would leave the room his cage was in. His cage was definitely his security blanket. If you tried to take him elsewhere, he would just fly back to his cage. Eventually, we got him to go into the living room. However, those were the only rooms he’d go in. Then one day I was home from work with a stomach bug. I thought I was feeling okay enough to get up and make a cup of tea. I put Sunny on top of his cage but then realized I was going to get sick and ran into the bathroom. (Sorry for the story about vomiting.) Sunny started flock calling to me but I couldn’t really answer him and made some type of semi-audible response. The next thing I knew, Sunny came running into the bathroom as fast as his little legs would carry him, with his crest straight up, looking like a little warrior. He didn’t know what was wrong but overcame his fear of unknown rooms to come and protect his momma.:xflove: It was so adorable. (Eventually, he became a little adventure bird and loved to explore everywhere.)

And a funny story- we were visiting my parents. Sunny loved to climb up and down my mother’s cloth couch. Ours at home is leather so Sunny couldn’t do that at home. So Sunny was sitting on the arm of the couch, and my mom walks over to him, shakes her finger and says “Don’t you poop on my couch.” He looks her straight in the eye, turns his little butt and poops off the side of the couch onto the floor, swings his butt back to being over the couch and looks back up at her- like are you happy? I didn’t poop on the couch. My mother was speechless. It was hysterical. :hilarious:

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Our living room became Sunny’s personal kingdom. We kept his main cage in another room to sleep in but during the day he lived cage free in the living room. Our living room has pockets doors so we would close them when we weren’t home and he could stay in there. When we were home, he pretty much had free reign of the house but would stay for the most part wherever I was. We had different play areas set up for him in the living room, a food area, and we had a carrier in there also that he liked to take his naps in.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We did all the typical things- gave up Teflon pans, candles, scented detergent, etc. Our living room became his room. We really stopped having guests over past a certain time because Sunny slept downstairs, and we didn’t want to disturb him.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I’m a member of the Pittsburgh National Aviary where I can go and admire birds. :) I would love to belong to a bird club but am not aware of any here.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I always wanted to put an outdoor aviary on our back porch for Sunny.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Sunny was pretty much the perfect bird so I guess he really was my dream bird. I am also fascinated by Galahs. I just don’t know if in reality with my work schedule that we would be the right home for a too, at least for now. I also met a canary-winged parakeet once that I was pretty smitten with. However, I really do love cockatiels.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I would try to give myself an hour before work just to spend with Sunny. I’d get his breakfast ready and also change his seed and water dishes and prepare whatever other food he was to have during the day while I was at work. Then, we’d have morning snuggles and scritches, basically until it was time for me to leave. I’d always do an inspection of the living room before I left to make sure the fiancé hadn’t left anything out that Sunny could get into and check to make sure everything was bird safe. Then, we had good bye kisses. Which as much as I hated leaving him, was the best part about having to leave. He would march over and put his little head up for kisses. Then he’d walk about a foot away and run back for more kisses. :heart: This would go on for however long he would want them. (And I wonder why I was constantly racing not to be late for work?)

My fiancé used to get home early afternoon. So Sunny wouldn’t be alone that long. Once the fiance’s work schedule changed, I started having our bird sitter come over two or three times a week in the afternoon to spend time with Sunny. The two of them really hit it off from day one. And it was nice because she would always send me pictures and an update of their visit while I was working.

As Sunny got older, his bedtime got earlier and earlier. So I would never make any plans after work but would go straight home to get Sunny’s dinner ready and then of course more snuggles and scritches until bedtime. On weekends, I spent as much time with Sunny as I could. I always kept Saturday mornings open for “momma and birdie” time when he and I would clean his cage, he'd get a bath, etc.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

As terrible as it may sound, I think what I learned is that most people shouldn’t own parrots. I think it really takes a certain type of person and that’s not most people. As wonderful as having a parrot is, taking care of your parrot really becomes your life. My entire schedule pretty much revolved around Sunny and his care. And I was very happy to do it. Finding our wonderful bird sitter did start to free us up more but even before having her, it didn’t bother me that I couldn’t do certain things because I wouldn’t be home to put Sunny to bed on time, etc. Sunny was more than worth it to me. And when I was home, Sunny was my constant companion. Having had a dog, rabbits, etc. growing up, I think having a parrot is much more demanding, and I don’t think a lot of people are prepared for that and perhaps willing or able to make the life style changes that need to be made to have a happy bird. I also think too many people don’t take the time to educate themselves on parrot care. I’ve talked to too many people that had birds that didn’t let their birds out of the cage, didn’t take them to the vet, etc. and it was because they didn't know any better. It’s sad.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have joined a bird forum as soon as we got Sunny. I didn’t really know they existed and that first month or so with Sunny I really wasn’t sure what I was doing and had so many questions. I had bought a book on cockatiels and read stuff online, but a lot of that info is dated.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

People with parrots have other hobbies? ;) LOL. I garden in the summer. I like to read. I also enjoy going to plays and musicals when I can.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Just thank you for selecting me. And thank you to everyone for all the support you have given me after losing Sunny.

Cherish each day with your birds. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congratulations! wonderful interview...you were such a great mom to Sunny...I believe there is a reason he came into your life...and I wish you all the best with your foster lovie :hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Congratulations and thank you for sharing those wonderful heart warming Sunny stories.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are a wonderful choice for Mayor. I've always been impressed with your knowledge of parrots and of course, your deep love of Sunny.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Great choice for Mayor! Congrats!!

Status
Not open for further replies.