• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2012 Feathered Estates Highlight ~ LemonGrass(Ann)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am very happy to announce LemonGrass (Ann) for our Oct 2012 featured Feathered Estates Highlight! Ann's theme is "Set Ups for Small Spaces" and "Set Ups for Small Birds" and she's done a wonderful job creating a fantastic, stimulating area for her birds!

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I currently have 2 cockatiels and my set up is designed to accommodate them.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
None of my birds currently have any disabilities so my set is specifically designed to give them a work out whether it is flying, climbing, or walking. A few simple tweaks would make it more comfortable for a handicapped bird such as adding platforms, ladders, attachment ropes from one play area to the next, etc.

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
The main thing I learned is that investing in quality products is the most cost-effective way to go. I have been through 2 prior (cheap) climbing nets which lasted less than a month before I decided to invest in a sturdy well-built, and subsequently more expensive, net which is holding up great. The same can go for perches - I tried out the really cheap rope perches from Wal-mart and none of them lasted as long as pet-store quality rope perches. It's better to invest in something that will last for a long time rather than get a bunch of cheap things that will break in a matter of days. The other budgeting tip is to splurge during the great side walk sales offered by the vendors here on AA - the deals they offer will save you a truckload of money.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
I am constantly changing my set up. My birds seem to like it that way - they love to explore! All the toys get swapped out weekly and the perches get rearranged once a month. The only thing that has remained stationary is the oddball because there is a permanent hole drilled in the ceiling to hang it.

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
Most of my toys come from Things for Wings simply because my birds go crazy over shreddable toys. Other favorites include BIRDYlicious Creations, Oliver's Garden, Crystal's Bird Toys, My Safe Bird Store, and a local store which I frequent called Parrotdise Perch.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
Definitely the 12" odd ball from Oliver's Garden. It's the single best purchase I have made in terms of toys, the birds are always on it. It is so well crafted with great quality cotton that even after a year of intensive use, it is still in mint condition.

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
I make random DIY toys once in a blue moon. Their favorite is this toy depicted below; I strung multiple paper foraging cups with balsa blocks hidden under. Pine beads are used as spacers. Slits are cut around the cups to give them an opening to shred.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I place foraging toys in the cage only because they make such a huge mess if I place it outside in their play area. My birds have a love-hate relationship with foraging toys; there are times where they go crazy foraging everyday and then other times when they completely ignore it.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
The main issue for me was drilling holes in the ceiling to hang things because I am in a rented home. My temporary solution is to use stick-on hooks which can hold lighter objects (such as a climbing net).

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
I have the king's aluminum flat top flight cage in the largest size available. I wish they made bigger aluminum cages but I do regret not purchasing the dome-top because that offers more room. However, I made the most of it by converting the flat top to a play area by attaching java branches and grapewood branches.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
The birds pretty much have the corner set up as their play area but they are free to fly all around the room. They have a huge window right next to their corner and they love being able to look outside. It is to my advantage as well because I love to photograph my birds and do not use flash ever (it scares them) so I am very reliant on natural light from the window.

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
My birds tend to jump on everything new. They love exploring. I don't feel like age is a factor for them, it is more of a reassurance issue - as long as I am in proximity to them they are very bold and will play on any new toy I offer.

13~ Any future renovations planned?

Oh yes, many more changes to come. I am hoping to purchase some highways from Oliver's Garden to allow me to expand the hanging gym without having to drill more holes in the ceiling. I am also on the look-out to purchase a java tree.

Overview of my set up
The net, odd ball, and anchor are all from Oliver's Garden. The cage is used as the base of external play area

The cage is the king's aluminum flat top.

Their food is stored in the fridge. Everything else is stored in rubber maid containers which fit on the shelf under the cage.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I was excited to read this!
For some reason I thought you had more birds :rolleyes: they are busy little guys that is for sure!

Nice set up Ann, I enjoyed reading it. Looks like you spent a lot of time putting it together for all the AA members to read :)

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yay it finally showed up :dance4:This was my set-up a few months ago :o: Quite a bit has changed since my birds are so destructive.

I've added a jolly ball to their play area and I have a java tree from Kathie enroute to me!

I've got duplicates of about 90% of the sunflower collection in my cart -- I am totally obsessed with that collection and hope to decorate the java stand with those toys.

Thanks for featuring my set-up :o:heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a great read Ann...love your set up!! lucky birdies!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Aww, great pictures, setup and interview! Love seeing birdies well loved! Congrats!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What an amazing setup!

Matt

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Super cute and nice setup! I love reading about/seeing your tiels!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Definitely mind and body-stimulating birdie-gym :D Very innovative :)

lolajenday

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
What a great set up you have. Your birds must be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I know I've said it before, but your complete set-up is my favorite! I really love how there is so much to do and there is a lot of variety, yet it doesn't look like a clusterfrack. :D I hope to make my hanging play area very similar to yours when we move!

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone :hug8: It's an honour to be featured here. A lot of people have AMAZING set-ups and I get a lot of insipiration from looking at everyone's set-ups :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations Ann!!!!! :highfive: I don't know how I missed this thread.. :rolleyes: I really loved your interview and your setup is absolutely fantastic! :D This definitely gives me ideas for my birdys.. :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awesome space and great interview!!

Status
Not open for further replies.