• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2011 Mayor of the Avenue.......... Matt (expressmailtome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Matt (expressmailtome) as October's "Mayor of the Avenue"

Please join me in welcoming him
:)

I enjoyed reading your interview Matt and getting to know you and Michael a little better :heart:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have one bird. His name is Michael and he is an almost 3 year old Blue Throat Macaw.

2. What got you interested in birds?

When I was a child I saw a beautiful Catalina Macaw behind the counter at a pet store. After that I began reading as much as I could on birds. A few years later I brought my first bird: a sea green Peach Faced Lovebird.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Michael brings me amazing amounts of enjoyment every day.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned that we can never stop learning about our birds. There is always more that we can learn about how to keep them as happy and healthy as possible.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time that I held Michael and gave him head scritches he raised his head feathers and closed his eyes. He just sat there like that for about ten minutes.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Michael lives in the main front room. He has his cage and stand to be on in there.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Not really. Just the basics: nothing non-stick to cook with, a good air filter to run and I never had anything scented anyways. I think that that is pretty much it.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Nothing local. I am a member of AFA.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love to have an aviary outside for Michael to be able to fly around in during the nice weather.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Not right now. I want to give Michael all the attention that I can and for me that can only happen if he is the only bird.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I start the day opening Michael up for the day. I change his water and refill his food cups. Then before I leave I put the radio on for him. When I get back he comes out. He loves to climb on the outside of his cage for quite a while. I think that he is trying to find a way out from a different view. We spend some time playing together which is mostly him enjoying head scritches. After that he will go to his stand. He then gets his dinner back at his cage. He is
a very slow eater so this takes about an hour during which he likes to be spoken to. After dinner he comes out and plays on his cage for a little bit. Finally, he will get some more head scritches and then go to bed for the night.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

When you own a bird you have to expect that the unexpected will occur. You always have to be prepared in case something goes wrong. Michael has a folder with all of his information in it. Things like: name, hatch date, band number, breeder, diet, vet contact information, etc. In my opinion this is very important so that if anything happens to me someone else can come in and have a good start on caring for Michael.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I think that I would have pushed more different foods on Michael when he was little. I would let him pick what he wanted to eat and that has limited the fresh foods that he will eat. He certainly has a very good diet with a nice variety but it would be nice if he were more willing to try new foods. I just keep trying.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

No other hobbies really. Most of my free time goes to Michael or here.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I just want to say that I think that this site has some of the friendliest and knowledgeable members that I have ever seen. I love how members are so willing to share information and help others.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations Matt..a wonderful interview!!!!!!!!!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A truly wonderful choice. Loved the interview :hug8: Congratulations, Matt.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Congratulations Matt! Nice interview. We need more pics of Michael. :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
:chipmunks::chipmunks:Congratulations Matt, loved reading up your life with your dear bird. He is so lucky to have you looking after his needs. Cannot think of a nicer person that this has been given to.:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you everyone!

Interesting that Michael is a really slow eater :confused:
He will take a few bites and then he will stop and mumble a bit. Also, after each time that he raises his head from eating he goes and wipes his beak clean on his cement perch.

Matt

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats to you Matt! Great interview!:dance4::dance5::dancing::laughing12:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats, Matt! I enjoyed getting to know you and Michael a little better and especially liked reading about your Michael folder!

Attachments

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue