• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

October 2011 Feathered Estates Showcase ~ Bea (Explorer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am very excited to display our Estate Highlight for October which focuses on the Multi-Room setup for tiny/small birds. Bea (Explorer) has created wonderful spaces for her fids to enjoy their playtime during the day all the while fitting in creatively with the family dynamics! Enjoy!

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?

We are so happy to have three little Parrotlets in our house.

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?

Thankfully, No.

3~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
Aside from the cages itself, the inside and playstands surrounding my babies, changes constantly. I love to purchase new stands, finding new toys and ways to get them excited to play.

4~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
Always on the hunt for something new and exciting for our babies, I have been buying my toys, foods, playgym and even toy making supplies from a variety of websites. I also love seeing what everyone else has and have gotten many ideas over time from other members and them sharing where they got their supplies.

My favorites are:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/
I Love this place. Receiving a package is always as if you are getting a present.. even though you paid for it, everything is wrapped very nicely. The prizes are very fair and the shipping is fast and well packaged. I also love hunting around their website for that 10% coupon and finding new things for my babies in the process. The coupon is always there and free shipping over specific purchase amount.. Its totally worth it for the cost conscious like me.

http://www.mybirdstore.com
/

My favorite purchase there: I got our scale Avian Scale there for a great deal when I took advantage of one of their sales. So be sure to check back often.. Oh and of course,they too, have a nice selection.

http://www.chopperstoys.com/
Also nice selection
I believe, it always pays to shop around.. and as much as I spend on my supplies, I can’t afford not to.

Those are the favorite stores with positive experiences.. There were a few that I am sad to say, my experience was not so good. But I will leave that for another thread.

Lastly here a great website/store for Supplies..
http://www.cabirdnerds.com/

5~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
At the moment, it is our latest playgyms purchased at MSBS.. they are wonderfully versatile, easily to clean and I love that the table top playgym comes apart (it has two loose stands just sitting on top .. great to remove to customize and at the same time.. cleaning!!
There is also the latest toy that Apple currently enjoys and this little girl is so picky when it comes to toys. She loves it so much, I went back online and purchased 4 more.

6~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
I have drawers full of ropes, beads, and many other toy making supplies, it is fun to upgrade existing toys and sometimes I make little necklaces that they can play with while perching on me, lol better than eating my buttons.
I am not as crafty as some.. but so far, all is good in the toy-making department

7~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
~ Harry loves all kinds of toys, he is by far the most playful. He does not like being touched too much but is crazy for sitting on me and also playing with his toys. It is a joy to watch him go at it in his cage. So, he is not picky at all in that department.

~ Apple on the other hand, is not a playful bird (Its all about cuddles and scritches for her).. She has long ignored toys until I realized that she was more of a forager. Needles to say, now has lots of shredding ability in her cage now.. basket material, weaved items and of course paper.

~ Gizmo too, is not much of a player.. unless he is trying to impress the others.. or wants to be picked up. Gizmo can not fly yet. His wings were cut so badly.. even after a molt and many months later, he still has feathers on his wings that look shredded. Gizmo spends all his time out of the cage as soon as his best friend (my son) comes home, then he is on his playgym, his shoulders or the top of the cage.

That being said, all my babies always have foraging toys, toys I make and of course loads of out of the cage time with us.
We constantly change the setup.. Only a few items stay a constant because they love them so much.

Under that category would be Harry’s white orb .. (boy he was upset when I removed it)
Apple’s Tent (she has two that I switch out) .. Apples coconut Perch outside her cage
Gizmo’s ring toy.. (he loves to climb thru it) and Gizmo’s tent perch.. he does not go to sleep without it.

8~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
My ex husband made this amazing Manzanita tree.. He actually cut down a tree and made me a wonderful tree for indoors.. AFter it was completely dry, treated and had a solid base, we found that the birds really did not like it so much. The wood was too slippery.. It had a lot of branches at different sizes so roughing them all up was not what I wanted to do to those beautiful dark brown branches.
A year after he made this for us, he adopted a unwanted Conure on Craigslist. That little fella, has no problems with the branches, so the tree went back to my ex’s home :) and Zathara (conure) is loving the tree.

9~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
When I don’t like something or better said, see them not reacting positive towards changes I make, we just change it. Harry and Apple live in the living room right next to my couch... so I can have a constant eye on them and I can quickly see what they love and what is not such a big hit.

10~ What do you like most about your setup?
I really love that I have so many playstands to mix things up. I have invested so much money in toys and other parts, that we never get bored. Cleaning the cage is often a new opportunity to mix things up, making cleanup time a fun project instead of a chore.

11~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Harry, is the tentative one when it comes to changes. I will never switch everything out.. but replace strategically. He is still scared of the new playstand.. but that is ok, each in his/her in their own time. Harry is not much of a player outside his cage anyways. He prefers to be right next to me or inside his cage. But he is still a baby, so that might change.
Apple is the fearless one in the family. She has to check new things out and really never gets scared.
Gizmo is the big sweetheart that is tentative but he accepts and trusts us completley. So while he might be timid at the beginning, he is a trooper and in no time comfortable.

12~ Any future renovations planned?
Always!
I am always looking online and peeking around in pet-stores.. Its fun for me and for my babies. Just not fun for my wallet ... those are the times I think to myself that it is good when you are not married.

Overall Setup in the living Room

I love to have my babies close by and since I spend a lot of my free time in my living room, they too, are setup there.

Apple’s Cage:

Apple was my first, her cage because she is more of a shredder, has more shredding toys than anything. She likes to be on the floor to eat her goodies, so I have a nice bath in a steel cup setup for her on the bottom as well as her fresh fruit or veggies of the day. Apple loves her tent. Her night time ritual is, that she is first wrapped in a soft blanket to fall asleep on me around 7:30pm. (yes, completely covered) Once she is asleep, I put her down on a soft cushion until I myself go to bed and then I unwrap her and put her in her tend.. a few soft peeps and its lights out and Night Night time for my little Princess. (No cage cover)

Harry’s Cage:
Harry is my little player, he is not so keen on being hands on and even being out of the cage. He loves playing with his toys and feels very safe and happy in there. He will entertain himself for hours on end with the toys I have stuck in there.. He does not like the cage floor, so all his food, water/bathing bowl, toys etc is all placed high. I interchange the dishes daily with fresh fruits and veggies next to the regular dishes that hold his seed and pellet mix. When Harry is out of the cage, he will not venture out and only be on my shoulders or top of my head. Harry’s cage get’s covered around 9pm with part open so he can look out if he hears me moving about.

Gizmo’s Cage:

Little Gizmo is my son’s Parrotlet but I consider myself his Godmother. I make sure to teach my son everything on how to take good care of him and also to keep a close eye on things to make sure Gizmo is well taken care of. When my son comes home from School, he gets to go out of the cage, helping him with homework, playing eating until it is bedtime for both boys.

Gizmo is the only one that loves to swing. Its his favorite hangout when inside his cage. He too, does not like his cage bottom, so most of the action is happening on top. Sleeping habit is his beloved perch tent. He disappears in it when he wants to go to sleep and it’s lights out (cage covered)

On a sidenote, Gizmo travels to his 2nd home. (my son’s fathers house) He has the exact same cage-setup there. Every other weekend he travels in his PakOBird carrier, when my son is spending the weekend with Dad.

Weight In Time:
I believe a proper Avian Scale in your home is very important. I weigh my birds every other day to make sure they are nice and healthy.

My PlayGyms:

1. Pyramid Playstand ... small enough to move around like the kitchen or bedroom and at the same time, the little cups are nice for veggie treats. On the downside, the colored wood stains when you try to wash it with water as well as putting paper towels on the bottom to catch droppings is a little bit of a pain. (picture of stored under Apple's cage)

2. Latter Playstand.. a little bigger than the Pyramid stand, nice to hang toys from and put food on the top. Paper towels also are easily put on the bottom for a quick cleanup.

3. Newest Playstand natural wood, table and cage top versions.. These are by far my favorite portable playstands, the natural wood is nice to clean, papertowels fit easily (the Table stand has two removable tops.. making it 3 pieces to customize) Toys, hang easily, the cups come off easily to switch and clean. The cagetop stand is great because you can put it on top or even fasten it sideways onto the cage (with strong bars) I have the 3rd version also on order and it will complete my collection to suit our needs.

4. Playstand on Wheels.. The playstand is very versatile. I can roll it to where it is needed. Loaded with toys, easily cleanable and a great overall hangout for all my babies. While it does not look so pretty, I wrapped sisal rope around the edges to make it easier for climbing. It is also great for self grooming and shredding.

A place to Store it all:
This is where I store all my supplies. I have taken pictures of the drawer contents, but I did not really clean it up. There is a system in it all. Each drawer holds a general category of items..
drawer 1 - Extra Screws, nuts, pieces
drawer 2 - Toys
drawer 3 - Perches
drawer 4 - Toy making supplies, buttons etc
drawer 5 - Toy making supplies, strings, baskets, wood beads and so much more
drawer 6 - Large ropes, nest box (don’t ask) and other miscellaneous items such as the PakOBird backback straps.

Link to storage drawers:
http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g354/BeatrixF/Drawer/

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A wonder land for wee ones :) I really enjoyed seeing this :hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your set up is great! I love the playstand with all of the ropes and toys!

Matt

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Thanks for the organization tips! I needed to see that! We've only had our birdie since June so we are still learning. I have toy pieces all over the place. Funny thing is I already have some drawers I can use- just didn't think of it! I love all the toys and play stands! Beautiful set ups! What is the little plane thing? Was it for birds originally or modified? Very cute!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful interview and beautiful setup for your tiny birds.:)

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
wow! what a great home for them! luckiest parrotlets ever!

but i wonder how you get away with white couch covers? :chin:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
awesome setup thanks for sharing

Explorer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
B
:hug8: Thank You all for your nice comments !

Thanks for the organization tips! I needed to see that! We've only had our birdie since June so we are still learning. I have toy pieces all over the place. Funny thing is I already have some drawers I can use- just didn't think of it! I love all the toys and play stands! Beautiful set ups! What is the little plane thing? Was it for birds originally or modified? Very cute!
That little Airplane is made for birds. I always put treats in the body for whomever is on it to take out :) It looks like they are riding the plane when sitting on the little perch on back :heart:

wow! what a great home for them! luckiest parrotlets ever!

but i wonder how you get away with white couch covers? :chin:
:hehe: well, first, I think I am really lucky they usually deposit their droppings on the play stand or me lol and for accidents I swear by Poop Off Wipes :)
Oh, and the covers come off and can be put in the washing machine
:dancing:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Congratulations, Bea! Awesome set up!!! Very well deserved! :heart:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations!! Fantastic set up!!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
What a clean, bright, happy looking room! :D

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Wow! How fantastic! I want to be you when I grow up ;) My hubby thinks MY birds are spoiled. You've done a great job for your babies and have given some excellent ideas! It's obvious you love your fids!

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
:omg:Clean, bright, airy, fantastically PERFECT--obviously well-loved & -cared for birds. Congratulations well deserved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.