• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Object in Nostril?

Milk

Checking out the neighborhood
First of all, Judas has decided he doesnt want pictures taken easily tonight.

Anyway, I checked the forum and I know now I should probably take him to the vet but I'm in the middle of packing my suitcase for overseas and theres no time for me to get him to one! I leave 10am sharp tomorrow morning, and its 11pm now :/

Uncle Judas is a young caique ive raised from about 6 weeks, and this is the first time i'll be away from him for about two weeks. Jude still pulls the baby antics every now and then, and when I was playing with him just before, I noticed there was a seed-looking object caught in his nostril. I know birds nostrils look like they have things stuck in them, but there is genuinely something lodged in there I think he's just picked up while eating.

I tried sucking it out with a straw (to no avail), and very gently (and reluctantly) seeing if my bluntest tweasers were a match (also no avail). I tried a quick shower and he didnt really sneeze, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

The real question here, is will it come out naturally? My family is reluctant to handle Judas (let alone take him to a vet) so I'm a bit worried as I'll be gone for a tad.

On a seperate note, does anyone with a caique notice their bird's breathing? Judas seems to struggle a bit after flying and I'm not sure if its just because its a lot of excersize for his fat little frame or if he might have a lung issue.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Both issues should be looked at by a vet. Labored breathing could get serious quickly.

I sucked debris from a macaw nare once. Literally put my lips on his face and sucked. It worked and he found it hilarious. He makes me do it often now.