• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have not offered my birds any nuts in the shell, except for peanuts. Of course they love peanuts but I don't give those often and I would like to offer some nuts that will be more enrichment as well as be a good treat. I would like to hear some ideas for nuts for Merlin (White Fronted Amazon), Nemo (Meyers Parrot) and Autumn (Green Cheek Conure). And, where do you get them?

Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Almonds. High in calcium and low in fat.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you think that my birds will be able to open them?
You just need to give them a smack with a hammer so they have a weak spot to work on. Don't smack your fingers!!! :D Or give them unshelled.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I personally would stop feeding peanuts or the very least, peanuts in the shell. The fungas on the peanut shell and the peanuts themselves causes aspergillis, a deadly lung disease in parrots. The only think I feed that has peanuts in it is Harrison pellets, which I really wish they would use another nut in place of the peanuts.

My zon loves almonds (smacked with a hammer so there is a weak spot, as john said), walnuts, cashews and pistacchios the most :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
there are also softshell almonds right there in CA.
I need to put my order in soon, we are about out
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/1753-heres-source-soft-shell-almonds.html
wow, I've never heard of these before either. Those are interesting. I feed almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, etc. I don't feed peanuts though cause of the mold spore risk. The conures don't like cashews or walnuts unless they are put in birdy bread, I actually don't think they like any kind of nut except a pine nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.