• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts? In shells? What's the general consensus?

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve never seen cashews in shells or whatever it’s external casing is called (I thought the outside was a fruit but I’m not sure).
Cashew casings have acid in them. Many people are disfigured. You couldn't give them to your bird. I avoid buying cashews, on account of this. Workers are paid piecemeal, so wearing gloves might mean not earning enough - it slows them down.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cashew casings have acid in them. Many people are disfigured. You couldn't give them to your bird. I avoid buying cashews, on account of this. Workers are paid piecemeal, so wearing gloves might mean not earning enough - it slows them down.

Wow, I generally try to buy 100% Aus made, grown, owned products.
I am pretty sure most of the nuts I buy are grown here (I usually buy them online but could not with the floods for the last purchase) but I will be extra vigilant about the cashews now that I know this. Just checked and the brand that we got last time from the local supermarket is form Vietnam- I expect they will also have similar issues to the women in India that article is about :(

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie my macaw loves all shelled nuts, and loves cashews.
My cockatoo only likes pine nuts and pistachios. Ocasionally she will have a peanut if she's in the mood.
Otherwise she tosses them.
@Aviphile I had a chuckle of the image of your diva eating a tiny pine nut, shelled or raw lol

ems08

Walking the driveway
One word of warning/question in this topic. Occassionally I've given Riley a pistachio in it's shell (Quaker, roughly the size of an IRN) and he just eats what he can get to without cracking it open. I don't known if he really knows his own beak strength. That would be fine, except once he stuck his top beak in the crack of the pistachio and got it stuck! :eek: I realized like 5-10 min after giving it to him that he was pacing around his cage "holding" it and scratching at it with his feet. I managed to get it off, but it took pretty signficant force. I've been chicken to give him another one in it's shell. So @RN48 I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye on them until you're sure your birdy can crack them open in their own!

RN48

Meeting neighbors
They are not related. Macaws are a South American species.

Parrots do likely have different requirements; we know that macaws do better on higher fat diets vs Amazons who are prone to obesity. We know that African Greys require higher calcium diets and that cockatiels do poorly on an all pellet diet. I am not sure what specifically we know about Ringnecks yet; a lot of what we know is still in its infancy as we are still learning.
That's what i thought that they were a South American species and obvs Indian ringnecks being an Asian species and I do know just by my own two birds that "one size fits all" doesn't apply to our feathered friends

RN48

Meeting neighbors

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Wow, I generally try to buy 100% Aus made, grown, owned products.
I am pretty sure most of the nuts I buy are grown here (I usually buy them online but could not with the floods for the last purchase) but I will be extra vigilant about the cashews now that I know this. Just checked and the brand that we got last time from the local supermarket is form Vietnam- I expect they will also have similar issues to the women in India that article is about :(
I buy human grade organic nuts from my local supermarket because vets have told me the nuts and seed put into pet food is the lowest grade

RN48

Meeting neighbors
My cockatoo only likes pine nuts and pistachios. Ocasionally she will have a peanut if she's in the mood.
@Aviphile I had a chuckle of the image of your diva eating a tiny pine nut, shelled or raw lol
That does sound cute on both accounts

RN48

Meeting neighbors
One word of warning/question in this topic. Occassionally I've given Riley a pistachio in it's shell (Quaker, roughly the size of an IRN) and he just eats what he can get to without cracking it open. I don't known if he really knows his own beak strength. That would be fine, except once he stuck his top beak in the crack of the pistachio and got it stuck! :eek: I realized like 5-10 min after giving it to him that he was pacing around his cage "holding" it and scratching at it with his feet. I managed to get it off, but it took pretty signficant force. I've been chicken to give him another one in it's shell. So @RN48 I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye on them until you're sure your birdy can crack them open in their own!
Thank you so much for this! And yes I do always watch them when giving them new things they haven't had before to ensure there own safety but I think if that happened to me I'd be in the same shoes as you so I might deshell some and then when I'm home give the the shelled ones

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
JaKhu (B&G Macaw) eats walnuts, pecans, almonds, filberts, pistachios & pine nuts in shell. My U2 & CAG get almonds, pistachios & pine nuts. I've never had any issues feeding my birds in shell nuts. I used to by shelled macadamia nuts for my previous macaw, but my dog ate one & got lethargic, dizzy & was drooling, so no more of them.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Imagine her holding a tiny safflower seed and opening the shell and eating the kernel. She use to do it a lot but not much anymore.

Mine get the occasional peanut I don't have a problem with them, I buy roasted in shell human peanuts. Peanuts have a pretty good amino acid profile. Some people will say "I don't like their fatty acid profile". If you are comparing omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids then every single popular nut has a higher omega 6 to omega 3 profile. ALL of them... Walnut, Almond, Cashew, Pecan, Pistachio, Macadamia, Hazelnut, Brazil, Pine, Peanut, and Pili.

Yeah I know all about aspergillus and the infection Aspergillosis. I also know that the spores are in every breath we take, it's in all the foods we eat and aspergillus and penicillin look so much a like the they are literally classed together. A healthy immune system is all you need.

Years ago we bought a house that wasn't as big as we needed but we loved the location and the lot, just like the house we bought in 2019. We had an extension built on and they talked us into using spray foam, how great it was and so on.... Right after it was done, just a few weeks later the extension caught fire and the cause of the fire was electrical fire due to the spray foam. I lost 2 birds due to that fire. After the fire we had water damage and mold. Mold testing came back as Aspergillus/Penicillium. Yeah I'm educated, I know it personally, I lived with it!

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
JaKhu (B&G Macaw) eats walnuts, pecans, almonds, filberts, pistachios & pine nuts in shell. My U2 & CAG get almonds, pistachios & pine nuts. I've never had any issues feeding my birds in shell nuts. I used to by shelled macadamia nuts for my previous macaw, but my dog ate one & got lethargic, dizzy & was drooling, so no more of them.
Problems after just one? I'm surprised, was it a small dog? With 2 hyacinths I have quite a lot of mac nuts around the 2 shelties that I have. We crate the dogs at supper time so they aren't around trying to get foods that the birds throw down or sling. After supper I sweep the floor before I let the dogs out. Piper comes in at around 19 lbs and Cameron 30 lbs. My vet told me that unless they ate a lot it probably wouldn't have much of an impact on them (I know just an opinion) So far we haven't experienced a problem but I am careful.

You can give them the benefits of macadamia nuts by making macadamia nut butter or buying it or drizzling macadamia nut oil over some other food.

RN48

Meeting neighbors
I do the same because I eat more nuts than my birds so they just share my supply.
I don't eat nuts really but I'd rather feed my pets better quality food stuffs as pets should get the same quality of food as humans

RN48

Meeting neighbors
Awesome thanks for the advice - not awesome about your dog though hope there okay