• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts for budgies

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to start giving my budgies some nuts as treats while I'm training them (so that they don't just always get millet). What are some good, healthy nuts that they might like?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Most nuts are too large for budgies to eat easily and they are also too high in fat.

I would probably try broccoli. My budgies love it and it is a healthy food.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most nuts are too large for budgies to eat easily and they are also too high in fat.

I would probably try broccoli. My budgies love it and it is a healthy food.
Well, I would put them in the blender. I know they wouldn't be able to eat the whole thing. :lol:

I do feed them broccoli, but I don't know if they like it enough to accept it as a treat.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Put nuts in most blenders and you’ll end up with nut butter. You’d be better off to chop them up by hand. I agree with Destiny- use something like broccoli or millet instead.
If you’re really wanting to use nuts then choose the healthier options such as almond and walnut- both these are easy enough to chop into tiny bits.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Put nuts in most blenders and you’ll end up with nut butter. You’d be better off to chop them up by hand. I agree with Destiny- use something like broccoli or millet instead.
If you’re really wanting to use nuts then choose the healthier options such as almond and walnut- both these are easy enough to chop into tiny bits.
Okay, thank you.
They certainly won't be getting nuts often. They would only get them as an occasional treat. If they even like the nuts. :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Okay, thank you.
They certainly won't be getting nuts often. They would only get them as an occasional treat. If they even like the nuts. :)
Yeah I’m not so sure I actually know of any budgies that are keen on nuts but I also don’t know if too many are actually offered them.
I do put a few halved or quartered pine nuts, broken up almond slivers, and tiny broken bits of walnut in my budgie seed and pellet mix... he never touches them but the wild birds love them ;)

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I’m not so sure I actually know of any budgies that are keen on nuts but I also don’t know if too many are actually offered them.
I do put a few halved or quartered pine nuts, broken up almond slivers, and tiny broken bits of walnut in my budgie seed and pellet mix... he never touches them but the wild birds love them ;)
Budgies are so picky! :laughing2:

Bevolson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bev Olson
So happy to find this forum.
I am training my budgies and also wanted something other than millet because my budgies are not really ever hungry and not so interested in millet.
Millet works for about 3 tries then they walk away.
The answer for me was wild grass seed.
They are crazy for it.
I have been using the 'stick click treat' method I found on birdticks youtube.
Sceptical about my own success I persevered and it worked like a charm.
You will know, I assume, that the 'stick' is the end of a chopstick.
I am charmed that my green budgie named Bill is lined up on the top of the cage waiting to train when he is ready.

Bev in Timaru NZ

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What kind of grass seed are you using?! I doubt we've got the same species here, but you never know.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What kind of grass seed are you using?! I doubt we've got the same species here, but you never know.
There are tonnes of fresh grass seeds budgies love.

This might be a good place to start

Bevolson

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bev Olson
There are tonnes of fresh grass seeds budgies love.

This might be a good place to start

Sparkles99

Great video
Thanks
Yes 'Poa grass' if I heard it correctly. The gentleman on the video said it was a budgie favourite.

In my neighbourhood this 'budgie favourite' grows outside an empty house.
Because the house was unoccupied I became emboldened until one day a window flew open and I was told off for I trespassing.
Fair enough too.

All is well though because I have been invited back anytime. The man was intruiged with my story.

This is my story.
My 9 year old grandson has not conversed with me for about 7 years.
He is autistic and I was irrelevant to him until after I hatched a plan to get him interested in training my newly acquired adult budgies with me.

Success.

Although the 'Poa Grass" was the catalyst, now that I have stripped the only source of this grass from the neighbours front garden the birds have taken an interest in millet.
I am sure you will recognise the causation here was that the birds had to get to know me and feel safe with me.

Thankyou so very much.

Bev