• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nutrition for pellet free birds?

Jogging around the block
I've made the decision to not feed my fids pellets and wanted to know how to give them complete nutrition hopefully without the vitamin supplement I am currently putting in their water. They get mostly sprouted seed and chop, then once a week some scrambled egg (eggshell included in powder form) (no oils or non stick pans, it just takes me forever to scrub the egg off the bottom of the pot). Is this a complete diet? I'm scared to take them off the vitamin supplement until I know it is
*I agree to disagree to the people who feed pellets, everyone has their reasons. This threads purpose is not to talk about pellets*

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've made the decision to not feed my fids pellets and wanted to know how to give them complete nutrition hopefully without the vitamin supplement I am currently putting in their water.
You can’t because you don’t feed the wide variety of natural foods they would eat in the wild. Pellets and supplements are balanced to provide vital nutrients in their proper ratios which is very important.

Your decision is to the detriment of your birds health

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are they outside in unfiltered sunlight a few times a week? Are they getting a source of iodine?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You may find this helpful. I know Jason Crean also has a Facebook group (or he did at one point). @finchly I think knows the group name

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I've made the decision to not feed my fids pellets and wanted to know how to give them complete nutrition hopefully without the vitamin supplement I am currently putting in their water. They get mostly sprouted seed and chop, then once a week some scrambled egg (eggshell included in powder form) (no oils or non stick pans, it just takes me forever to scrub the egg off the bottom of the pot). Is this a complete diet? I'm scared to take them off the vitamin supplement until I know it is
*I agree to disagree to the people who feed pellets, everyone has their reasons. This threads purpose is not to talk about pellets*
Good for you! It may not be a complete diet YET. But you’re on the right track.

I will tell you from my personal experience that going this route is harder (on you) than dumping on pellets twice a day. But you’re sprouting, so you’re doing the hard part. I try to cook mostly vegan for the hoomans, so the bird diet is an extension of that.

Your chop needs to be as varied as you can make it. For example, not 5 veggies in a week but maybe 30.

Nuts are important for small birds as well as large, I soak overnight then grind up and sprinkle on top.

Are you giving quinoa, oat groats, rice, other grains?

Those are the highlights. Do join Dr. Crean’s group if you’re on FB. It’s Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition.

PS you can scramble eggs in a little water, add a bit as needed. Keeps it from sticking. You can also boil eggs and mash them shell and all.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your decision is to the detriment of your birds health
Actually… most of the nutrients are heated out or simply dissipate while sitting in some dusty warehouse. So may I suggest it’s not Screech whose decision is detrimental, but those who go with processed “food “ full of chemicals.

We may not be feeding the exact diet from the wild, but a good approximation. Mine are checked and aren’t deficient in anything. Whereas the majority of pet birds are deficient in vitamin A.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Not pushing back on your decision, but if you can explain what's driving this decision we may be able to help you meet your concerns and help you put together a diet that works for your birds.

Sort of like if someone's a vegetarian it makes giving food suggestions easier if you know whether their concerns are the ethics of meat eating or if there's some physical/medical reason why they can't eat meat.

Edited for typos.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sort of like if someone's a vegetarian it makes giving food suggestions easier if you know whether their concerns are the ethics of meat eating or if there's some physical/medical reason why they can't eat mean.
Uh no, they just leave out meat.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know a woman who is a retired breeder who only fed her birds seeds and chop. No pellets. So it can be done. I just think it takes a lot of diligence to make sure your birds are getting the proper balance of vitamins, etc. And I think outside time is important for them to get Vitamin D. In general, I am not a big fan of putting things in their water though.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm curious on why the change in diet?:)It may help me give my birdies a better diet, because I really care for my birds, is it better to give other stuff as well? Not just pellets and veggies? Sorry for the curiosity, I just love learning more on our precious birds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They get mostly sprouted seed and chop, then once a week some scrambled egg
Remember, there´s a big difference in what you give them, and what they actually eat. Be sure you are monitoring the food to know what they are consuming.

It can be helpful to have a checkup 3-6 months after being on the new diet, to see if you are lacking in some departments and then you can alter the diet before it become a bigger problem.

Jogging around the block
Good for you! It may not be a complete diet YET. But you’re on the right track.

I will tell you from my personal experience that going this route is harder (on you) than dumping on pellets twice a day. But you’re sprouting, so you’re doing the hard part. I try to cook mostly vegan for the hoomans, so the bird diet is an extension of that.

Your chop needs to be as varied as you can make it. For example, not 5 veggies in a week but maybe 30.

Nuts are important for small birds as well as large, I soak overnight then grind up and sprinkle on top.

Are you giving quinoa, oat groats, rice, other grains?

Those are the highlights. Do join Dr. Crean’s group if you’re on FB. It’s Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition.

PS you can scramble eggs in a little water, add a bit as needed. Keeps it from sticking. You can also boil eggs and mash them shell and all.
Thankyou for the good info!
I will start putting more types of veggie in then, I currently only have five :banghead:
That's interesting about nuts! I will do that too
I have heard about those grains, although I haven't research enough on how to cook them so I haven't used any yet, I will though
I'm not on FB, but I will try read his info
That sounds a little easier with the eggs, I'll do that
I know a woman who is a retired breeder who only fed her birds seeds and chop. No pellets. So it can be done. I just think it takes a lot of diligence to make sure your birds are getting the proper balance of vitamins, etc. And I think outside time is important for them to get Vitamin D. In general, I am not a big fan of putting things in their water though.
That's good to know, makes me feel like it's a little less impossible haha. Trust me about the water, I'm not either, I just don't want them deficient in anything
Remember, there´s a big difference in what you give them, and what they actually eat. Be sure you are monitoring the food to know what they are consuming.

It can be helpful to have a checkup 3-6 months after being on the new diet, to see if you are lacking in some departments and then you can alter the diet before it become a bigger problem.
Yes, I have learned that from experience with these birds lol. I do monitor what they eat very closely, and they do eat at least a little bit of everything I give them.
I'll look into that about the vet check, sounds like a very good idea.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Scrambled eggs are really easy to make in a microwave and they make much less mess. Many cafes cook their scrambled eggs in the microwave.

Jogging around the block
Yes microwave would be another good idea! Anything with less pot scrubbing :lol:
This mornings food was
sprouts : mung beans, radish seed, crushed maize, oats, buckwheat , canary seed, canola seed, millet (red, french and white), flaxseed, kibbled green peas and sunflower seeds
chop : cabbage , cos lettuce , cucumber, red bell pepper, spinach, tiny amounts of apple, banana and mandarin
picked from our backyard : dandelion flowers, dandelion leaves, thistle flowers, thistle leaves and two different types of grass seed heads

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds won't eat pellets & have stopped eating sprouts. Unfortunately Winston's good habits eventually were overpowered by the other three's bad habits. They will drink water with supplements though. I've bought so many pellet types. It is so true that it's not just what you offer, but what they actually eat. I can't convince them. Fruits & veggies are ignored largely too. They're seed dependent & incorrigible about it. It was such a relief to find the Oasis water drops.

Jogging around the block
My birds won't eat pellets & have stopped eating sprouts. Unfortunately Winston's good habits eventually were overpowered by the other three's bad habits. They will drink water with supplements though. I've bought so many pellet types. It is so true that it's not just what you offer, but what they actually eat. I can't convince them. Fruits & veggies are ignored largely too. They're seed dependent & incorrigible about it. It was such a relief to find the Oasis water drops.
Darn, Sunny took a lot to learn to eat greens, sorry yours haven't been as willing. I'm sure you've already tried this, but mine was/still is a millet addict (any favourite seed) and I just soaked some alone and fed it when the tail was hardly visible. I only had experience with this working with two budgies though, so I can't say it works for most.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you soak the whole millet spray as a whole? That might work! They adore millet.