• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nutrition books

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Ok so geting some general idea of nutrition for parrots, and for different spicies. Wondering if there are any books out there though that cover this subject, cause the leeway on various advices still leaves something to be desired for seteling for a feed regime you can be sure you got right.

And I dont mean cookbooks (got several of those), I mean like college grade subject books.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
'College grade textbooks' is very difficult. Many of which were written some time ago... (I know my well recognized textbook for veterinary studies had one one chapter on nutrition- the information was dated back to 1972!). Beyond that- every species is different (macaws vs eclectus vs cockatiels.. all extremely different diets even though they are all psittacine).

A great deal of the 'book' information is written by Avian enthusiests who only have personal anectdoytal data and reach a wide range of conclusions. Many of which can be disproved by recent published scientific data. I only look at recent studies of wild birds and NCBI, etc and apply that to companion birds. Much of those documents are in science-eez (closely related to legaleez). I enjoy reading it, but even I find deciphering the code (and that algebraic calculating!) a headache at times.

Here on AA you will find a vast knowledge of all things birds- housing, care, diet, husbandry. Try to utilize people here- but without a specific 'species'' were are going to be hard pressed to help. Which 'parrot' are you talking about?

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Hey, dont mess with the calculating, big spreadsheets and analyzing is the best :D
(is a science major)

Do you have a curriculum list from the course?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I can not link to outside sources.

But the AA community is very knowledgeable.