• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nutriberries V Pellets

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have always sort of treated Mojo with a nutriberrie when she has been out of her cage and have always had some in her foraging bowls in her cage and she absolutely loved them she is also eating Harrisons high potency pepper and maintenance and roudybush daily maintenance seed as treats when she is a good girl and does what i ask. KiKI is still mainly on Seed enjoys the occasional pretty bird small bird pellet but also loves a nutriberrie.

I have started adding a nutriberrie into there dry food daily and it is always welcomed i like the fact they hold them with there feet whilst they eat them if they drop them they have to go and get them back from the base of there cage and they both love them.

i am considering increasing the amount of nutriberries i give them as part of the daily diet ( they both get chop twice daily ) i will stil happily feed them pellet etc. i just think from watching them both sitting on a perch eating a nutriberrie v head down in a bowl eating a pellet is much more beneficial they are having to work a bit to eat there berrie,also both KiKI and Mojo will eat any flavour of nutriberrie ( almost ) i bought a multi buy form a UK retailer and there was a back of Cockatiel Mojo doesnt want to know KiKI destroyed hers.

Is there anyone just feeding nutriberries or using them as the main part of there birds diets ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@webchirp goes through a lot of Nutriberries :lol:

I like them but my birds always eat the seeds and leave everything else, so I put them in the treat category for mine. If your bird is eating a considerable amount of them, then you could comfortably feed more of them.

They are fantastic foraging incentives :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They do love them when foraging and would rather a nutriberrie over millet or a sunflower seed. I did read something on the lafaber site saying they are ok to use as a complete food but i am a bit cynical sometimes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
IMO they are if your bird is eating a significant portion of them. After all, if you ground up all the ingredients and made the into a pellet, the nutrition would be the same. The downside is for birds that don't eat anything except a few pieces off of it. Ripley, for example, eats the safflower seeds and literally nothing else. So for HIM, they cannot be a complete diet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I agree- if they’re eating it. I mix NB with other foods, they can have more than one but they get other stuff too.

I also use cockatiels size for my medium parrots. In fact with most foods I size down.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just had this talk with Dr. Orosz and Donnie's Mom and Dad. They come to my house and then I drive them to Toledo to see Dr. O. Soooo, Dr. O did say you have to watch how much of the nutriberries they eat. If you give them too many, they'll pick out the goods and dump the rest. I've found that two in the morning and two at night get eaten with little waste. I do go through a lot...20lbs a month.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the replys

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I leave them in my CAG's treat bowl all day, I think he has more fun throwing them on the floor of his cage since they make a loud thunk. LOL he does nibble on them and he throws them to get to his fav the pumpkin seed. It just makes me feel better, while I"m at work that he has enough food.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I leave them in my CAG's treat bowl all day, I think he has more fun throwing them on the floor of his cage since they make a loud thunk. LOL he does nibble on them and he throws them to get to his fav the pumpkin seed. It just makes me feel better, while I"m at work that he has enough food.
Both Mojo and KiKi either drop them or throw them on the floor but will then actively go and look for them during the course of the day.
The ones i give them before bed however are consumed over there bowls with no waste.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I use them mostly as forging treat. Bebe get them about 2 a week mixed into his every day pellets and seeds.