• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Now I can't use firefox

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sorry to tell you this but it really sounds like a personal problem :p I think we are going to give you a banner for the member with the most forum issues:lol:
You beat me to the punch. :)

PEBKAC Linden. :cool:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you run a clean system without a lot of (third party) security/ad blockers/incognito modes whatever and don’t turn up all the paranoid settings on your system you should not have any problems with this site.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry to tell you this but it really sounds like a personal problem :p I think we are going to give you a banner for the member with the most forum issues:lol:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ad block disabled for this site. No other add-ons. All cookies accepted except tracking cookies (that setting is the same across all my browsers). My IP did change yesterday,
Now there's a thought.
Could the host be blocking my IP, or rather blocking a subset of IPs because a few of them have caused trouble? It does happen in hosting that a company will do this to save typing in new IPs every time something comes up. This often blocks a whole subset used by ISPs. I ran my own hosting company, it's common practice.
There's no problem between this keyboard and chair, I just think your host is blocking a subset of IPs used by my ISP.
This being the case, I suggest your host is lazy and inconsiderate and..............

I can work around it. I'll just grab my coat.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The host won't block any IP's. We have a list of blocked ones.

You have the longest list of IP addresses out of any user I've looked at. Some of them you only use one time. Going through your list you do have some fishy ones.
Now if you were using one IP consistently that was giving you issues I could cross check our list but you change IPs more often than I change my underwear. :laugh:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The host won't block any IP's. We have a list of blocked ones.

You have the longest list of IP addresses out of any user I've looked at. Some of them you only use one time. Going through your list you do have some fishy ones.
Now if you were using one IP consistently that was giving you issues I could cross check our list but you change IPs more often than I change my underwear. :laugh:
That could be a problem then. I don't really have access to a static IP. My host is dynamic so I constantly get new IPs. Even my vpn changes a couple of times a day, I think right now I'm in Canada.
Like I said, it's something I can work around. But it's also something for you guys to remember for anyone else that has trouble.
Incidentally I checked my IP this morning when I was locked out and I was only blocked on two rather obscure lists out of 60 listed. The chance of you guys using those lists is remote to say the least.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A thought I had, to provoke a little thinking on your part.
I didn't have any problems until you upgraded the server so is it safe to say the IP filters is a feature of the new server that you never had before?
Now the thought bit:
How many members have disappeared since the server upgrade? And how many of them are because they can't login because of this new feature?
Just because a feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it. It's there in case you need it, and even then it should be fully understood before being activated.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
No the filter is a part of the spam checker portion of the software. Nothing to do with our host

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No the filter is a part of the spam checker portion of the software. Nothing to do with our host
Was this active before the upgrade because everything was fine before.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
The software was the upgrade

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So it's a new thing? How many staff trained up on using it, which lists to use and the consequences of using it?
I'm not here to argue or pick it apart. I found a workaround that I'm happy with. I just wonder how many Firefox users with dynamic IPs are out there wondering why they can't get onto the forums. It's not like they can login and ask.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Who are these supposed members that are being blocked? If they have dynamic IPs as you do, then it would be an intermittent issue, like yours is. In the US, MOST IPs are dynamic... You usually have to pay an extra monthly fee to receive a static IP from your provider. So if it was a rampant issue, I believe we would be hearing more about it.

There are ways to get ahold of people at Avian Avenue if you can't log in. I know this because everytime the forum goes down I get an email or FB message about it... This was prior to be being a moderater. If anyone is having issues they can be free to email or message me.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
There are ways to get ahold of people at Avian Avenue if you can't log in. I know this because everytime the forum goes down I get an email or FB message about it... This was prior to be being a moderater. If anyone is having issues they can be free to email or message me
Also a ton of staff and forum members have vendor websites, instagram, twitter, facebook pages etc... People could reach out that way too if there was a need for login help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also a ton of staff and forum members have vendor websites, instagram, twitter, facebook pages etc... People could reach out that way too if there was a need for login help.
Absolutely! :idea:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
So it's a new thing? How many staff trained up on using it, which lists to use and the consequences of using it?
I'm not here to argue or pick it apart. I found a workaround that I'm happy with. I just wonder how many Firefox users with dynamic IPs are out there wondering why they can't get onto the forums. It's not like they can login and ask.
The list are not something new. We don’t pick lists we use it is built into the software and has always been that way it is nothing new. You are overthinking this and making it in to way more than it really is. This is standard software used by Xenforo, vbulletin etc that controls the mass majority of forums on the internet

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You can pick the lists, there's a multitude of lists maintained by various organisations.
Besides that, I'm just going to state my case so there's no confusion, then we can all live in ignorance again.
1. Since the upgrade and server move I cannot upload any images in Chrome.
2. Since the server move I have to use a VPN to login in Firefox else I get cookie errors.

I'm net savvy. Yes I could have chased someone down on FB to be let in, but why would I? It's not like AA is the only option. Indeed, a lot of people would just give up on bird forums altogether with the experience I'm having.
The net is supposed to be friendly to mobile devices. NO IT AIN'T!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In fact no. You don't like my IPs? That's okay, I don't like having to mess about with vpns just to get on your forum.
The doubting thomas' amongst you should do a historical search on Fasttrak Hosting in the UK.
I'm gone.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I browse this site on mobile 90% of the time and have experienced none of these issues. I use Chrome and upload photos from various sources all the time (both Desktop and mobile). I downloaded Firefox just to test it during the upgrade and also had no issues.

Yes there are other options, but most people who have been here a while enjoy the community they've grown to be a part of and they don't want to just start over.

Are there specific members you are concerned have been unintentionally blocked?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I just double checked everyone of your MANY IP's against our blocked IP list. Not even close. Your most commonly used IP's start with 92. or 213. we are not blocking a single IP in that range.

This is not an IP address issue.

The cookie issue is usually a http issue. Meaning you followed a link that did not have the https. Yes it will redirect you BUT if you are logged in that would be the issue.
As far as the uploading... I have nothing for that.