• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2019 Mayor of the Avenue... Fergus Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Elly is November's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Two Budgies! Fergus (Green) and Fiona (Blue) Fergus came in June of 2017 (guessing he was around 4 months old) and Fiona came in November of 2017 (guessing she was around 3 to 4 months old) So both of them are about two years old now.

2. What got you interested in birds?

Since I was a child, I have always been interested in birds. When we would vacation in Colorado, a couple of times I found injured (or very young) birds and attempted to rescue them so they might heal and fly. My Mother actually loved birds as well, but would never allow me to have one because she thought they would be "messy".

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Tons of feathered fun.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience! The patience to move slowly around these skittish little ones gets easier the older I get!

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Sadly enough, it would be Lucy Budgie passing away in my hands in her old age, and crying my heart out.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

My bedroom (the room I am in most of the time)

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I made room for their cage, and oh my gosh, their 'supplies' began overrunning every nook and cranny honestly.
'Supplies' meaning mostly TOYS of course. Then there's the huge 'travel cage'... their food, first aid supplies, dummy eggs (just in case), whiskbrooms, paintbrushes for cage crevices, copper scouring pads, OH MY, I think you all get the picture.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I do belong to a couple of groups on FB, and now joined one on Reddit, but my absolute FAVORITE and the only one I would take advice from is right here at Avian Avenue!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I don't really have the space for it, but in my dreams I have one of those HUGE walk-in aviaries that you don't even have to duck to enter. It is full of beautiful green bird-safe plants, natural perches, and of course - TOYS!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

When I was a child I dreamed of owning a Mynah bird! Again, my Mom wouldn't let me have a bird, so I dreamed LARGE ha ha!

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Uncover my babies, get their chop for them, open the cage doors, open the blinds and curtains for them, make sure there is food and water in both cages (main cage and travel), blow the empty hulls out of dishes. Decide if it is a nice enough day to take them outside in their travel cage, if not, move them to the sunny window in living room. See if the little buggers are in the mood to eat millet perched on my finger. About 7 p.m. the cage doors are closed and their little light goes on by them. It's t.v. time until about midnight, then I sing to them before covering their cage for 'night night', and tell them I love them.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I have learned LOTS of valuable information from my friends here at AA, and I would not trade this for love nor money. Having had Fergus and Fiona since they were a few months old, and I had a scare when Fergus flew out of the bedroom into the kitchen behind the stove - I have decided they might do some silly things in their toddler stage and if I get another baby I will watch for this to happen. I don't think I could take the panic which ensued after the stove incident a second time!

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

Keep trying to provide a healthy diet of seed, pellets and vegetables (mine don't like fruit), and keep on top of which toys are safe enough to leave in their cage without me panicking or having nightmares about toy issues!

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love home decorating, money saving tips, seeing my grandchildren, playing cards, playing a few games on my pc and phone, talking on the phone to friends (especially if the friends have birds, or will listen to my latest brag about what my birds did today!)

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I had dogs for years when I was younger and did a lot of volunteer rescue work before I retired. I had the honor of raising two guide dogs for the blind for a major guide dog school. The first one (Lance - Black Goldador) passed and when he graduated I got to meet the man he was placed with, a wonderful older gentleman in Florida with a marvelous family who showered Lance with love. The second one (Charlie - Black Lab) returned to the school for training at 14 months old. He was doing fine for about four months until displaying fear of overhead objects in a mall with his trainer. He never overcame this, and I elected to fly him home to Texas so he could live the rest of his life with me. Charlie lived until he was 13 1/2 years old, and I really wasn't sure I could get past his death in 2010. Thank goodness I now have Fergus and Fiona, and they have brought me so much happiness!
I am so excited to receive this honor, and I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! Very well deserved :starshower1:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
THANK you everyone - I am so excited! And I may get to meet one of our members today (Karen)... she's coming by to get a cage if all goes as planned! :D

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats3: A perfect selection!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
THANK you everyone - I am so excited! And I may get to meet one of our members today (Karen)... she's coming by to get a cage if all goes as planned! :D
I was so jealous when she told me about that... someday :smuggrin:
I do have a coupon for you if you’d like 20% off a pet store purchase :angel3:
(I have ten and can’t use any of them!)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A walk in aviary would rock! I hope someday it happens for you :) even if you converted a bedroom, how cool!

Thank you for sharing! Lucky little budgies :loveshower:

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I was so jealous when she told me about that... someday :smuggrin:
I do have a coupon for you if you’d like 20% off a pet store purchase :angel3:
(I have ten and can’t use any of them!)

I know, I wish you could have come too, she said she was going to bring you but it would have been an hour back from work, darn it - yes, maybe we will get to meet some day I hope! @faislaq was SO much fun, and we talked a mile a minute... probably could have talked all night if she hadn't had to get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.