• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2016 Mayor of the Avenue... MandaExotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that MandaExotics is November's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have one female cockatiel who is approximately 10 years old named Nafesh. I also have a lutino Indian Ringneck Parakeet who is approximately 8 years old named Rainbow.

2. What got you interested in birds?

My IRN, Rainbow. I never felt a connection with any bird until I met Rainbow. It wasn't a love story; Rainbow was not socialized when I met her and for some reason a growling IRN in a too small cage spoke to my heart.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Order, my birds help keep me in a routine that keeps us all healthy and happy. I also eat healthier thanks to these two.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience. I'm not perfect but I've learned how to comply with their (friendly) demands and they seem to know how to make me smile and laugh in return too.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

I used to always call Rainbow my "Pretty Bird" when I interacted with her. One day when I went to leave the room she shrieked "riiiiittttyyyyyy iirrrdd" and noticed that I came back for a couple minutes right after. For a while Rainbow associated "Pretty Bird" as a beckoning call for me to come to her. My mother's Christmas present to me that year was a shirt that said "Pretty Bird".

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I have a bird room as well as sections in the bedroom for them to lounge and sleep depending on where I will be the most.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Yes, my bookshelves are all covered up or all of my books have been placed in storage boxes ever since Rainbow discovered she can go from top to bottom and try to shred all of them. I keep all of my closet doors closed when Rainbow is out because she likes to play hide and seek in them. I have hanging bird gyms throughout my place as well. Nafesh likes the back of my couch so I ordered a cover I liked for the back of it for her.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Just this forum.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A walk-in aviary.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Silkie chickens: I like their size, the eggs are a plus, and I just love their demeanor.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

As soon as I come home I hear a couple protests from Rainbow, she hasn't been fed "the good food" yet and clearly that should be the priority. I feed her a bit of something to keep her occupied while I give Nafesh her daily shower option (her sinuses do better that way). Usually Nafesh will hop up and down on her perch as she's happy to see me. Once I let Nafesh decide if she wants to get wet I give her some free time on either the couch, on my shoulder, or on her favorite play stand. Once Nafesh settles down I take Rainbow out for the rest of the evening where she either sits on the stand next to her cage, Nafesh's cage, or by the computer. Sometimes she will perch on me for a bit but she usually prefers to perch next to the stand by the computer. She goes back in her cage when she is ready for bed.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

It is a different kind of relationship than with any animal I've had. They definitely pick up on your emotions and want to be involved in the things that you do, on their own terms.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I've made my share of mistakes as a bird owner but I've also learned from those mistakes. I don't regret getting my cockatiel Nafesh but she really does a toll on my allergies, I will not be owning another cockatiel. I didn't plan on a specific bird so much as I just knew when I saw them.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I enjoy other animals (especially snakes and arachnids). I also love to read and if I ever get the time again I like to cross-stitch.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Living with a bird does involve more cleaning but it is a rewarding experience. Thank you for selecting me, there are many great members on here!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Congratulation on the choice of MandaExotics. A valuable and knowledgeable member of this forum.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! (And I love Silkie chickens too. :) )

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: I loved reading your interview!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
great interview! And got to know Nafesh and Rainbow a little better! Congratulations!
Nafesh is an unusual name. Does it mean something? I like how it sounds!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats (we had silkies once when I was growing up)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
great interview! And got to know Nafesh and Rainbow a little better! Congratulations!
Nafesh is an unusual name. Does it mean something? I like how it sounds!
Thank you :). Nafesh is technically supposed to be spelled "nephesh", a Hebrew term roughly translating to "soul". I didn't correct the spelling since I didn't see the need to; the former owner told me she acquired her cockatiel around the same time she lost custody of her daughter so she wanted to give the cockatiel a name with personal meaning. When she moved across the country for a new job she was looking for someone to re-home her cockatiel to and I decided to take her and haven't heard from the former owner since (which was years ago now).

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you, Amanda!

Status
Not open for further replies.