• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight - Carolz7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
October 2015 Feathered Estates Highlight
:starshower1::starshower1::starshower1:

Carolz7

I am very pleased to announce this month's showcased member Carolz7 with her bird room setup.

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for? My bird room is setup for 2 macaws. One green wing and a blue and gold macaw. I have a huge walk in aviary for them to play in during the day. Then we have our sleeping cages. When i am home and in the bird room they get to play outside of the aviary.

1179.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg 027.jpg 818.jpg 011.jpg

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird? No

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
I have been making my own toys for many years and that does help on the budget. Since i am aware of how expensive toys are and how fast they are destroyed i offer very inexpensive toys on my own website.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is? Toys are hung from the ceiling for more climbing and swinging and playing. I found the best way to hang toys from the ceiling by using the light tracks. You save your ceiling from damage and can hang up to 300 lbs i believe my husband said, the engineer, and all you need are 3 screws on each track.

2014-10-22 17.56.18.jpg

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures? One of the best so far that my guys enjoy are telephone books. They love to shred and watch the mess grow on the floor as they rip the pages off. Drill a hole in the book and hang with a zip tie. Hours of cheap fun and be sure and ask friends and neighbors to save the telephone books for you.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor? For many years i totally ignored foraging, just did not see the point in having the bird have to work so hard for a treat or nut. Well since i have my blue and gold macaw, she goes nuts for foraging. In the morning while they are having breakfast, i start to load up all the foraging toys. She goes nuts just cannot wait to get to it. I buy each and every new foraging toy that comes on the market. She loves every single one.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)? The least favorite of my bird room has to be the floor. Inside the aviary i use paper from a large roll. The rest of the room is always an issue as to how to keep the floor clean and not to drag bird mess into the rest of the house. My bird room is inside this time for the first time since i started with birds about 13 years ago. The mess like pellets or nut shells will stick to your feet or shoes and before you know it you are dragging it threw out the house. I have just invested in a hair salon vacuum which has been absolutely amazing. Several times a day i just reach for the broom and sweep all the pellets, nuts or bird dander or feathers right to it and it sucks it right up. The best investment ever. The worst is dragging out the vacuum for cleaning. With this the vacuum is always on and ready to suck up any mess.

2015-08-30 15.20.23.jpg 2015-08-30 15.20.34.jpg

11~ What do you like most about your setup? I love my setup i have a sofa bed in the bird room and a tv and love taking my afternoon naps in there every so often. It is so funny how quiet they get when they see i am sleeping. I enjoy my bird room since it is there place to do whatever they want to.

2015-03-27 18.29.17.jpg

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor? My birds have always adapted very well to each change i make in the room or any move we have made, which thus far has been 3 times so far.

13~ Any future renovations planned? What i really would love to add is a french doors so the cages could be moved outdoors for cleaning. The cages are very heavy and cannot go threw the door. I have to clean them inside. I always choose white cages since you can see exactly where there is a mess. I find that a hand held steamer is wonderful for cleaning cages when you are not able to get them out doors. You do end up with a huge mess but placing old towels or sheets on the floor works great to catch the water and all the mess.

2014-10-26 12.02.04.jpg 2015-03-27 18.29.00.jpg IMG_20140102_141302_1600x1200.jpg

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing your amazing setup!

Matt

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a great setup!!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is a gorgeous setup. Congrats. And I am looking forward to some toys for Bella.

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Congrats.
That setup is very awesome! :yourock:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Very nice! I love your aviary and how bright the room is. Thanks for tip on the hairdresser vacuum too!

Status
Not open for further replies.