• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2012 Mayor of the Avenue..... Iskra (Sparkles)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Iskra(Sparkles) as November's Mayor of the Avenue. :heart:

I love your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better! :pinkgrin:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have an indian ringneck girl Ringo and a senegal boy Lino. Ringo is 5 and a half years old and Lino will be 2 in a month.

2. What got you interested in birds?

A very special cockatoo. I saw one at a pet shop where I live. I was walking in and someone said- Good day! in a very robot like voice. I turned around to see a bare eyed cockatoo on a cage looking at me and the second I looked at him, he lowered his head for me to scratch it. I fell in love instantly. He wasn’t for sale, he was the owners pet. I came by that pet shop, every so often, just to talk to him.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Joy, plain and simple. I can be having the worst day ever and I hear Lino talking his heart out and I just can’t help but smile. They are loud, messy, all over the place, opinionated, stubborn, but they make me happy.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I was lucky enough that I was raised around animals my entire life. Growing up I had a dog, three cats, turtles and fish. My parents believed that having animals around will teach both me and my older brother and sister about responsibility and it did. I think a huge part of that I take into my work, too. I’ve learned that there’s someone else to take care of and that I can’t just go about my business regardless how that will affect them. It, also, thought me to be more understanding and have a lot more patience than normally I would have. My boyfriend jokes that sometimes I’m like a chipmunk on steroids as I’m hyperactive and do a lot of things at once. They thought me to be a lot calmer and understanding. Well, at least around them. No one is perfect! They don’t operate on the same level as we do and we can’t make them to, either. I think these are some qualities that I’m not sure I would have learned without my parrots and my other animals, for that matter.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

First time Ringo stepped up for me. She was parent raised, afraid of humans and for months she wouldn’t have anything to do with me. I practiced with her every day and I remember, I was studying for a physics exam, I held my right hand up with an apple in it. I think I was like that for at least one hour, because I didn’t even feel the pain. At one point, she felt brave enough, landed on my hand, stole that piece of apple and ran back to her playground. We slowly took it from there and I can cuddle her now, and she trusts me 100% percent. She, truly, is my friend for life.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

All round my house! Their cages are in the living room. They have a playground in the living room , also and playground next to my worktable. I allow them to fly around. I think I will be changing and adding a few new things in the future.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Mostly small things. Removing paintings from places so that they wouldn't chew them up, learning to put away everything that’s not in use. Nothing too difficult. They are, at least most of the time, well behaved, or they have trained me well.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I’ve started a forum in my mother language for people in Croatia to get information about keeping parrots. There are a handful of parrot owners here and most don’t know what to do, especially when there’s a medical emergency. Before our forum, people would bring their pets to non avian veterinarians, who couldn’t help them, well not the way they need at least. It sounds unimportant to most, but now they have information on where to find AV near them, basic information, etc. We do our best.
9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

A large outdoor aviary for them to be in during summer months. I always take them with me to our seaside house and they love it there. I think this would be a nice upgrade for them.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Oh, you mean I can’t steal Lea and Zuri?! :eek:Joke aside, I would love a cape. They look so goofy and I love their colors. Lino made me fall in love with the Poi family and to me these parrots are a perfect fit for me. They are independent enough, love to play, smart, hyperactive…what’s not to love?

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I try to let them out before I leave home, if I’m running late I just give them fresh foods, water, change toys, etc. When I come back home, I let them out. We have one rule and that’s as long as they behave, they can be out as long as they want or at least until their bed time. If they start to pick a fight, off to their cages they go. They picked up on my system and choose to behave, so they get to be out and hang out with me. Smart birdies.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Expect the unexpected. From an international point of view, issues with owning parrots appear where you least expect them to turn up. Croatia is entering the European Union in a few months, which means I had to postpone any bulk ordering (or any ordering on certain products) until all the laws are tuned in, so to speak. These are some logistical things, as a parrot owner you really don't think about until you have your package trapped somewhere in a customs office. As I can’t get anything here, I have to come up with ways to get some of the items here, either by tracking down local artisans or by simply, making them myself.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I don’t think I would have done anything differently. I look at everything from 100 angles, than decide on a course of action. On the other hand, after Lino’s puberty finishes, ask me than what I think about this question.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to do arty stuff! I like to paint, make polymer clay jewelry, etc. There are a few galleries that have my art hanging around. I think, comparing to parrot things, only other items that occupies that much space are my art supplies. I love to read. I’m an avid reader. Loooove to cook and bake, but it seems I do more of that nowadays for my parrots, than me.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I would like to say that I feel very humbled and privileged to be named Mayor of the Avenue. This is an amazing place where people all around the world came join in and learn together, from each other. I think that those small pleasures in life are to be able to share your knowledge and learn from others.
So, thank you Avian Avenue for being such a friendly community.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Very well-deserved! :parade:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats! :dancing:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! That was a great interview!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wonderful interview and congratulations!!!! :loveshower::loveshower::elefant::elefant::dance6::dance6::congrats::congrats:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Congrats Iskra! Well deserved, I loved your interview :dance4:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran