• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2011 Mayor of the Avenue...... Bridgette (KiwiBird1980)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Bridgette (KiwiBird1980) as November's "Mayor of the Avenue"

She is truly an asset to our community, please join me in welcoming her
:pinkgrin:

I loved your interview Bridgette and getting to know you and Kiwi a little more :pinklol3:

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Currently, I only have 1 bird. Kiwi is a sun conure and he is a year and a half old.

2. What got you interested in birds?

When I was young, my neighbor had 2 cockatiels and a bunch of budgies. None of them were tame, but I loved to watch them. My mom let me buy 2 budgies. I was probably 5 or 6. My mother was terrified of them, but I loved t watch them fly around the house and play with each other. They passed away, unfortunately. Then, for Easter, my grandmother bought VooDoo (cockatiel) as a gift for me. Once he came home and settled in, I realized I would always have birds because they are so enjoyable.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Kiwi really has grounded me. I can't just take off on whim and go away for a long weekend. I have to plan things and make arrangements. I think he has made me more mature in my decision making. I was always a very spur of the moment kind of person, but now I find myself thinking things through more often.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I feel like having birds has taught me dedication. They have such long lifespans compared to other pets, so you really have to be willing to dedicate your lives to them. I find myself planning things around him, like vacations and who I allow into my house. He comes first so, if someone doesn't like him, they really aren't welcome here. I refuse to cage him because he makes someone uncomfortable.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time I saw Kiwi fly outdoors. Even though he was harnessed, it seemed so natural and free. I swear he was smiling.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Kiwi has access to my whole apartment. When I first got him, he was clipped by the pet store, but I knew I was going to let him be flighted. I tried to make my apartment as safe as possible for him so I wouldn't have to restrict him. I have an open floor plan, so there really is no way to keep him out of certain areas. His cage and hanging play gyms are in the living room and his Wingdow is in a kitchen window, so he spends most of his time in those two rooms.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I have vaulted ceilings and I'm pretty short, so hanging things from the ceiling is a challenge. I hung his gyms in the doorways so I would be able to reach him. He also loves the top rack on the baker's rack in my kitchen, so I took everything down and put his toys up there. Both of the windows in the kitchen have been claimed by Kiwi, so one has a Happy Perch and the other has his Wingdow. The blinds always have to be pulled up so he can sit in them.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I don't know any bird people in "real life" and I have never seen any sort of bird clubs in this area. I get my "bird fix" from AA!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

If I could only pick one, it would be a huge outdoor aviary. I think Kiwi would love to spend the day flying unharnessed in the sunshine.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Well, I don't think I really need to answer this, but I will. I want a pair of caiques one day. I just love watching their antics and seeing their energy. Everything about them is just so appealing and adorable to me.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Well, since I'm working from home and sporadically substitute teaching, I will give you a typical day when I'm home all day.
I wake up at 6:30 AM and have a cup of coffee before waking Kiwi. He gets uncovered and let out at about 7 AM. We snuggle for a bit and then I get his breakfast. He always has a warm breakfast and I try to change it up a lot, so that usually varies. When he is done eating, we will usually go for a walk (weather permitting) or he will play with his toys. Around noon, he starts to slow down so he will sit in his Wingdow and watch the world. He likes to nap for about an hour somewhere around 1 or 2. When he wakes up, he is usually hungry so he will eat some Bountiful Harvest or his pellets. Then he plays some more. At about 6/6:30, he has his fruit. When he is done, I clean his cage and refill his food/water. He gets put back in his cage and covered around 7/7:30. I wish he would stay up later but he gets so cranky!

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

There is so much more to having a bird than just "buy cage, insert bird." I think, more than any other pet, research is vital prior to getting a bird. There are so many dangers that you would never even think of. They are also so much more expensive than the average person would think. Additionally, the research never stops. I learn new things about him all the time and I think I am constantly evolving and changing as a bird owner.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

This is a tough question because I'm so smitten with Kiwi that I wouldn't really want anything to change! I think if I had done research and really considered what kind of bird I wanted, I wouldn't have had Kiwi - I would have a pair of caiques. I had never even heard of caiques before joining the forums, so I'm kind of glad I didn't because I can't imagine life without Kiwi. I know sun conures get a bad rap for being loud, but Kiwi really isn't loud. I'm happy that I bought Kiwi on impulse, but I can see how that could have been an absolute disaster.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I used to be really into Yoga, but I have gotten away from it. It's hard to hold a pose when you have a sun conure perched on your head. I love scary movies and reality TV. I am an avid reader and especially enjoy Tudor fiction. In the summer, I like to hike. We have a lot of beautiful trails around here.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I just want to thank you for picking me to be mayor! It's super sweet. I also want to say how glad I am that I came to AA. It really is the best forum ever. :heart:

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Congratulations! A well deserved title. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats, Bridgette! I enjoyed your interview! It is nice getting to know you a little better!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I really enjoyed your interview!

Matt

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
way to go BRIDGETT I was wondering when your time would come, great interview to

hugssssssssssss doll

andor

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Oh gosh.... they'll make ANYONE mayor, these days ;)

Just being.... me.... congrats Bridgette. Enjoyed reading all about handsome Mr. Kiwi

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations Bridgette and kiwi:D well deserved......:hug8::hug8:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Congrats Bridgette, loved the article. Now we will get to cleaning up any corrupt officials. ;)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Congratulations Bridgette!!

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Thanks, everyone. :hug8:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Big congrats. Loved the interview.:cheer:

purplekat61

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kat
Congratulations Bridgette!! Enjoyed the interview also. Always nice getting to know people better!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Bridgette loved your interview and getting to know you a little more. So glad you are here on AA with Kiwi!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.