• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

November 2010 Mayor of the Avenue..... Amy (Willow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Amy (Willow) as November's "Mayor of the Avenue"

Please join me in welcoming her :)

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

Willow, an Orange Wing Amazon was hatched in June of 2003, so just turned 7 years old this year.

Aspen is a Red Lored Amazon. She was hatched in May of 2003 and also just turned 7 this year.

Mulberry is a Cuban Amazon. He was hatched in May of 2001 and so is 9 years old.

Cypress is also a Cuban Amazon. We believe Cypress was hatched around the spring of 1996, and so is about 14 years old.

Maple, a Mealy Amazon and we think he was originally imported in 1988, so he is 22+ years old.

2. what got you interested in birds?

I walked into a PetSmart and saw a gorgeous big, "plain" green bird in a cage. A group of people were gathered around and he was ignoring them all. I walked over and he sidled over to the side of the cage that I was standing nearest to, and slyly put his wing out to how me all his gorgeous colors. He was a Military Macaw. I went home and researched parrots and parrot rescue and decided that someday I would have parrots, when I had a big room I could let them fly and live in without cages.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

I was working at the Humane Society of Greater Miami when a good Samaritan brought in two baby parrots who had been in a nest in a tree that had fallen in a storm. I and a friend ended up co-fostering one of them. At that time she just had a few pin feathers coming in, and we had no idea what kind of parrot she would turn into, but she turned out to be an Orange Wing and thus my love of Amazons was born.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Live in the moment and enjoy the "now," - don't worry about tomorrow. Delight in the sunshine, and a warm rain. Eat with recklessness, toss what you don't like, don't be afraid to express your emotions - shout when you are happy or need something, bite when you are angry :)

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Hmmm, they are all memorable moments! But
I think the experience of raising Willow from a tiny chick with a splayed leg and seeing her grow into a happy and healthy Amazon is the best of all.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

In the warm weather they have a 12 foot wide, 24 foot long, 10 foot high aviary, with access to their bird room indoors. If it's too cold, they are in the bird room and have sleep cages so I can clean the room.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Oh yes! They have one of the bed rooms as their bird room, plus in the winter they have my bedroom too, and I have the living room, LOL! When we built the aviary, we cut a huge whole in the wall so the two bedrooms have a giant open "window" between them.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Only online.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love to someday have a 4 season sunroom/greenhouse or a geodesic dome for them. That's my dream!

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I love so many for many different reasons. I have met a few Black Palm 'Toos and they have been amazing. I used to bird sit for a Galah who stole my heart, I adored her to no end! Greys, especially Timnehs, intrigue and fascinate me. I love all of the Amazons, in particular am absolutely taken with the Yellow Lored and Vineaceous as well as the Lilac Crowns (in addition to the ones I have, of course!) A different parrot I am fascinated with is the Amboina King Parrot - they are *just* stunning in photos but I have never seen one in person.

11.Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I wake up, and make sure they have food and water and spend time talking with them. I like to give fresh sprouts in the morning, they stay good all day long for them to munch on as they please. After work, they generally get a warm mash or fresh veggies and fruits, and lots more talking, chatting, cuddling if they allow it, riding around with me with they like and I'm working indoors, etc. They are free to do as they please during the day in their room or the aviary, and my father is generally working around (he lives next door) and chats with them and brings them a treat or whatnot as well. :)

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've found them to be very adaptable, and we don't really stick to strict routines which I think helps them stay that way. They have no problem readily accepting new foods, toys, aviary/playroom/cage arrangements, various crazy arrangments of new fresh leafy branches to chew, etc.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I'm not 100% sure . . . I think I would begin clicker training with them right away . . . that is my winter project this winter!

14. What other hobbies do you have?

MY dogs! :) I love to train them, we play in agility and Rally obedience, I am very active with New England Border Collie Rescue as well. I love to hike, kayak, snow shoe . .

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :D What a wonderful interview!! :dance4: I am sooo jealous of your aviary especially!!! :) What lucky birds you've got and what a deserving Mayor!!!

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Congratulations!!! Woohoo! :starshower: :starshower:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats Amy! :starshower: I loved reading your interview and getting to know you a little better. :D

Attachments

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Congrats!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations!!! What a moving and inspiring interview, I absolutely loved reading about your birds and your experiences. Your "What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds" made me laugh, but also realize the truth in some of these things :)

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations amy I loved yoru interview.:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
Thanks everyone! A big surprise to be asked, and an honor!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congratulations :dance4::dance4:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month