• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noticing differences in photos

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I had noticed her feathers but I thought they look better now than when you first got her in video etc but then them pictures you have just put up they don’t they look worse

I know nothing about cockatoos and might be totally wrong with my thought but I thought maybe she was a different bred (or whatever we call different types in one one species) and was more fluffy wavy feathers than say dolly like for example you get different fur on shar Pei again I maybe totally off with my logic

I do kind of know what @Pixiebeak saying some photos make her look thin in face body etc but that could be handle of pictures as she doesn’t in videos

and again I know nothing about cockatoos so probably fully talking out my arse sorry:banghead:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tried the triple veggie pasta I had today. Not fans...

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I had noticed her feathers but I thought they look better now than when you first got her in video etc but then them pictures you have just put up they don’t they look worse

I know nothing about cockatoos and might be totally wrong with my thought but I thought maybe she was a different bred (or whatever we call different types in one one species) and was more fluffy wavy feathers than say dolly like for example you get different fur on shar Pei again I maybe totally off with my logic

I do kind of know what @Pixiebeak saying some photos make her look thin in face body etc but that could be handle of pictures as she doesn’t in videos

and again I know nothing about cockatoos so probably fully talking out my arse sorry:banghead:
Those were a bit older - the most recent ones are close ups of her face because she seems to love having her picture taken from 3cm away :roflmao:

I took these just now

Attachments

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@Pixiebeak here are some pics of her down feathers. This is the best I can manage at the moment, Jay works nights so he’s currently sleeping.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
whst do y0u even call that position???? :heart: :pinklol:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Those were a bit older - the most recent ones are close ups of her face because she seems to love having her picture taken from 3cm away :roflmao:

I took these just now
I would have to frame that 3rd one and hang it over her cage! I csnt stand it! So cute goofy cute

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Im painting thst tomorrow!!!
@Kiwi's Dad
You gotta give me a crazy pic to psunt of yours

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
@Xoetix gets no choice lol I've got to give that a try!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I would have to frame that 3rd one and hang it over her cage! I csnt stand it! So cute goofy cute
And you said she looked skinny :roflmao: She’s such a blob when she fluffs hahaha

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Sometimes chewing the edges of feathers can be an sign of illness or a missing nutrient. Before you rush to conclusions consider a check up. Barbering can be complicated to treat, but if it is something dietary/environmental it will be easier to remedy. If it develops into plucking it can be very difficult to curb.

My cockatoo Peanut went through a bad phase of plucking when she reached sexual maturity. She pulled her feathers out of her face with her foot, it was really sad. Luckily we saw the end of it, and she did recover. It was very stressful to treat and with hindsight I wish I did something different because I still feel responsible.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does Isadora seem to preen excessively? Over-preening is what Opie does to some of the feathers that grow in for him. It gives them a raggedy appearance.

And, I think you didn't put her back together correctly in those last two photos, lol!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Sometimes chewing the edges of feathers can be an sign of illness or a missing nutrient. Before you rush to conclusions consider a check up. Barbering can be complicated to treat, but if it is something dietary/environmental it will be easier to remedy. If it develops into plucking it can be very difficult to curb.

My cockatoo Peanut went through a bad phase of plucking when she reached sexual maturity. She pulled her feathers out of her face with her foot, it was really sad. Luckily we saw the end of it, and she did recover. It was very stressful to treat and with hindsight I wish I did something different because I still feel responsible.
She had just been to the vet the week before I got her, and was given the all clear thankfully. From what I was told, she’s been doing this for years.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Does Isadora seem to preen excessively? Over-preening is what Opie does to some of the feathers that grow in for him. It gives them a raggedy appearance.

And, I think you didn't put her back together correctly in those last two photos, lol!
I was trying to show the down feathers :roflmao: :rofl:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Alright, I got a video of what she does. She’s not biting or chewing on them, she just sort of holds it and plays with it with her tongue?

Also this is the first time I’ve seen her put her foot up to rub her head, it’s adorable :heart: