• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noticing differences in photos

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Alright, I got a video of what she does. She’s not biting or chewing on them, she just sort of holds it and plays with it with her tongue?

Also this is the first time I’ve seen her put her foot up to rub her head, it’s adorable :heart:

That's so sweet :xflove:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Does Isadora seem to preen excessively? Over-preening is what Opie does to some of the feathers that grow in for him. It gives them a raggedy appearance.

And, I think you didn't put her back together correctly in those last two photos, lol!
Sorry, I forgot to reply to your first part :rolleyes:

She Doesn’t appear to preen even half as much as Tteok does. He’s constantly cleaning himself (not to an excessive amount from what I can tell - no weird feathers or bald spots, just CONSTANT FLIPPIN DUST EVERYWHERE). She doesn’t even seem to do the feather chewing while anxious - she’ll be on me and being her weirdo self and then do it for a second. I stop her every time I catch it, and she doesn’t go right back to it or anything. I almost wonder if it’s unconscious, like how humans bite their nails.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That's so sweet :xflove:
It’s super cute with the foot, but this feather thing is about to make me lose my crap :arghh: I am super anxious about plucking just because of the damage I’ve seen it do

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
It’s super cute with the foot, but this feather thing is about to make me lose my crap :arghh: I am super anxious about plucking just because of the damage I’ve seen it do
Hopefully whatever it is isn't too bad :fingerscrossed:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
She is so adorable !
I always encourage med and large parrot owners to put a perch at the door. Because over time standing the habit if a standing on doors and entry ways is hard on feets , increases chances of arthritis.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
She is so adorable !
I always encourage med and large parrot owners to put a perch at the door. Because over time standing the habit if a standing on doors and entry ways is hard on feets , increases chances of arthritis.
I have one on order :D She really doesn’t stand there often or for long periods - she’d just finished getting a drink. Otherwise she’s a nosy goober trying to see what everyone else is doing/eating/looking at

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
All my cage doors have something to fiddle with and chew. The excitement of coming out or about to come out of cage leads to redirected chimps and toss. I don't know exactly how to phrase this? It's like nervous energy?? And I give thrm something there to release it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have one on order :D She really doesn’t stand there often or for long periods - she’d just finished getting a drink. Otherwise she’s a nosy goober trying to see what everyone else is doing/eating/looking at
I hear you. Its just a convenient place they often hang out at. and puts pressure exactly in the spots thst would lead to bumble foot abd joint issues. But over a long time @ like no right this minute danger.

But its such a common sight to see with larger parrots ( keep your eyes out in posts you will see!) And all the foot issues I've seen in older large parrots....would really be less if they didn't spend years if doing this.

Its kind of a soap box? Issue for me. I really want to encourage all med and larger parrots to have a big perch here and get them off your cage doors!!!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Is there no way she would bath mine like me to click my fingers in a bowl of water obviously need to be a big one for her haha :rofl:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
She’s so bloody cute :heart:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She had just been to the vet the week before I got her, and was given the all clear thankfully. From what I was told, she’s been doing this for years.
She may need deeper investigation. Did they run bloods? A crop swab? Check for fungal infection as well as bacterial? If this was done, fantastic news that she is all clear. Behavioural can be more difficult, doing it for years may be an indication that it is behavioural. It would be heathier for her to chew, not herself! :wacky: hopefully with some positive experience with new toys/exercise opportunities this can be curtailed.

With Peanut it helped to have shredding toys and lots and lots of baths. I have many the adorable picture of her standing in a big plastic tub and her lovely feathery pants are all floaty and fluffy in the water... So cute!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
She may need deeper investigation. Did they run bloods? A crop swab? Check for fungal infection as well as bacterial? If this was done, fantastic news that she is all clear. Behavioural can be more difficult, doing it for years may be an indication that it is behavioural. It would be heathier for her to chew, not herself! :wacky: hopefully with some positive experience with new toys/exercise opportunities this can be curtailed.

With Peanut it helped to have shredding toys and lots and lots of baths. I have many the adorable picture of her standing in a big plastic tub and her lovely feathery pants are all floaty and fluffy in the water... So cute!
They did do a CBC, I don’t see a crop swab from the most recent appointment though. She’s got an appointment with my normal avian vet because she also does behavioral consultations and that seems like something she’s in need of anyway.

From what I recall seeing of her previous cage, it didn’t have any big toys in it. Honestly that could be my memory misconstruing it, because the only things I recall seeing in there with her were food dishes, water dishes, and the lorikeet, but I can be 100% wrong about that. She’s definitely made short work of every toy I’ve offered her, lol.

I tried doing a bath yesterday, and I ended up more wet than her because apparently she’s just water repellent :roflmao:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They did do a CBC, I don’t see a crop swab from the most recent appointment though. She’s got an appointment with my normal avian vet because she also does behavioral consultations and that seems like something she’s in need of anyway.

From what I recall seeing of her previous cage, it didn’t have any big toys in it. Honestly that could be my memory misconstruing it, because the only things I recall seeing in there with her were food dishes, water dishes, and the lorikeet, but I can be 100% wrong about that. She’s definitely made short work of every toy I’ve offered her, lol.

I tried doing a bath yesterday, and I ended up more wet than her because apparently she’s just water repellent :roflmao:
Mine shower me when they bath it’s like come on flock member get wet too :rofl:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Xoetix

I am glad she is destroying toys. Well done her!

A few years ago my zebra finch, Peppy, pulled out his feathers from his breast. He did it suddenly, after NYE and fireworks.... The avian vet did a crop swab and found he had a fungal infection. Fungal infections can go unnoticed for years before they have a flare up. The vet suggested if was likely from his previous home and the firework stress caused him to have a flare up. We immediately treated him with antifungal medication. It was a very long treatment about 3 months. But he is now fungal free and his plumage is generally much brighter! Since the fungus he stealthily brought into our home likely passed to Zippy, Zippy too was treated!

Clearly Peppy's situation is different. I am just highlighting the story since there can be stealthy illnesses that arent obvious and sometimes the changes in behaviour are an indication the birbs don't feel 100%.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@Xoetix

I am glad she is destroying toys. Well done her!

A few years ago my zebra finch, Peppy, pulled out his feathers from his breast. He did it suddenly, after NYE and fireworks.... The avian vet did a crop swab and found he had a fungal infection. Fungal infections can go unnoticed for years before they have a flare up. The vet suggested if was likely from his previous home and the firework stress caused him to have a flare up. We immediately treated him with antifungal medication. It was a very long treatment about 3 months. But he is now fungal free and his plumage is generally much brighter! Since the fungus he stealthily brought into our home likely passed to Zippy, Zippy too was treated!

Clearly Peppy's situation is different. I am just highlighting the story since there can be stealthy illnesses that arent obvious and sometimes the changes in behaviour are an indication the birbs don't feel 100%.
That’s good to know! Her appointment is a week from today, so hopefully I’ll have a definite answer on that.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A whole artichoke if fun for them to rip up
Do I need to do anything to the artichoke? There’s the fuzzy thing inside, do I need to worry about that?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has pretty good feather quality compared to a lot of cockatoos. I think tritons have generally looser feathers (more umbrella like) than a lot of other sulfur cresteds do. That might contribute to some of the perception that she has poor feather quality. That said, it does look like her feathers are not as good as they could be. Especially on the shoulders as you pointed out. She may be doing some low key feather barbering but honestly looks like she could also really use a good soaking bath. Also, perhaps a little more protein and veggies in her diet. If she were mine, I'd handle it by giving her a good spray bottle bath or rinsing in the shower once every 7-10 days whether she likes it or not. If she isn't throwing herself around trying to get away from the stream, then she can handle being sprayed for a couple minutes every now and then. I'd also be making sure she gets some good legumes in her diet. I give mine a decent amount of sprouted seeds and the mix I buy has a lot of beans and overall a pretty nice variety of protein. I have noticed in the past that when I switched my birds to a lower protein pellet, the amazons got ravenously hungry. But the cockatoo got stress bars on the feathers and generally developed worse feather quality. They don't need a lot of protein, but I do think it's important to make sure cockatoos get slightly more protein than some other species and really good quality protein.
Also, anecdotally, being a cockatoo, the curly feathers on her shoulders are probably from some barbering. However, when I first got one of my yellow napes, she had curly feathers too and some really thick skin on her feet. I thought a bath would fix it, but it only sorta helped a bit. What really fixed it was getting her a better diet. Within 10 days of getting her to eat pellets, sprouts and really pushing the vitamin A rich squash and sweet potatoes, she started to transform. It might not be a good comparison cockatoo vs. amazon but I do think they have somewhat similar dietary needs.