• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Noticed some drainage from Pretty's nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
She's been acting normal. Gave her a big chunk of balsa for Christmas so she's been enjoying herself chewing it all up. She'd made the chunk fall off the top of her cage so gave it back to her and noticed she has alittle bit of drainage from both nostrils. I know she didn't have it last night.
And now looking at her it's already drying up. Can looking down cause them to have drainage from their nostrils?:confused:
Should I take her in or watch her for a day?

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
She's also started making a noise like she's trying to clear her nostrils. I'll try to video it. Her nostrils dried up but then the one ran enough to have it go down her beak.:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you put her up to your ear to hear if she's weezing or making funny sounds?

Ginger

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Little brat stopped doing the noise as soon as I got out the camera.:rolleyes:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Can you put her up to your ear to hear if she's weezing or making funny sounds?

Ginger
I can't but my hubby should be home in a bit and he can. She doesn't let me handle her but she lets my husband do anything with her.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Susan you might try bringing her in the bathroom and letting it get steamy. That might help open her nasal passages if they were plugged. Just make sure the house is warm so it isnt a big temp. fluctuation coming out of the bathroom. Do you run a humidifier?

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I think I'm going to take her in. While she's still acting pretty normal she is occasionally putting her head forward and opening her beak.
Course right not she's up there chewing on the end of a shoe lace.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Do you run a humidifier?
No I really need to get one. Kinda hesitant though since when we had one before in our old place it caused mold to grow on the wall in the closet.:eek:
What would be a good not so expensive one that doesn't have a choice of ionizer? My kids like to occasionally flip switches so I can't even take the chance of that.
Waiting on hubby to get home. And of course he left his phone behind this time which never happens.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Does it sound like clicking or ticking?

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What kind of bird is Pretty? A Lovebird?

Ginger

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Ginger she's a Red Belly. It's sounds like if you were to blow air out of your nostrils. She's also shaking her head a bit and then it comes out only her one nostril right now.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Ah, okay I would take her in, it sounds like maybe she has an obstruction in one nostril and needs a saline or antibiotic flush.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I think I'm going to take her in. While she's still acting pretty normal she is occasionally putting her head forward and opening her beak.
Course right not she's up there chewing on the end of a shoe lace.
I think you would be wise to have her checked out.

No I really need to get one. Kinda hesitant though since when we had one before in our old place it caused mold to grow on the wall in the closet.:eek:
What would be a good not so expensive one that doesn't have a choice of ionizer? My kids like to occasionally flip switches so I can't even take the chance of that.
Waiting on hubby to get home. And of course he left his phone behind this time which never happens.
Susan the key is to not OVER humidify. You can get a cheap hygrometer at places like Walmart that will tell you what the humidity level is. You want to opt for about 50%. If you live in a cold climate I guarantee your air is dry. I have a Holmes in the birdroom, no filter, just a cool mist and it was probably about 40.00 or so. Refill with clean water EVERY day, empty the basin and rinse with hot water EVERY day. Once a week, I fill the basin with white vinegar and let it soak and half fill the tank with water and some bleach to sanitize. I really think you can avoid alot of health issues by keeping the air comfortable. It is good for the humans too. :) Also in your former place you lived there could have been issues before you ran the humidifier. It probably was not well insulated etc.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
My husband just got home and listened to her chest and heard nothing but her little heart he said.
I'm going to call the vet and see if we can get her in later today. My sister is flying out today so was wanting to see her one last time before she left.
You can kinda see the drainage in this picture.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Got her an appointment for 3:30. It almost seems to be getting worse to the point where she's blowing bubbles almost out of that nostril. She's doesn't seem to be having difficulty breathing. No tail bobbing or anything. She's also stopped making the noise but she's just resting in her cage right now. I'll see if she's eager for a pine nut like she normally is.
I covered 3 side of her cage, going to wheel her in the bathroom her in a bit to get some steam.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Got her an appointment for 3:30. It almost seems to be getting worse to the point where she's blowing bubbles almost out of that nostril. She's doesn't seem to be having difficulty breathing. No tail bobbing or anything. She's also stopped making the noise but she's just resting in her cage right now. I'll see if she's eager for a pine nut like she normally is.
I covered 3 side of her cage, going to wheel her in the bathroom her in a bit to get some steam.
Yea, she needs to be seen. Maybe they just need to flush her nares. Please keep us posted

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Susan, I think you are doing the right thing by bringing her in. Sounds to me like she might have an infection going on or maybe something stuck in there. I just dealt with Squeeky having nasal issues and getting put on meds. If it is an infection you want it to be caught early. If the nare is clogged they might do a nasal flush (Squeeky's was a 50% saline 50% antibiotic mix). I really hope that it turns out to be nothing but I am glad that you followed your gut and are bringing her in. Let us know how it goes. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'll let you all know how the visit goes. The vet is about a 40 min. drive. Which this one just from my experience with Betty is ALOT better then the one right down the road. Plus it's the one the owner of the bird store recommends and uses.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I'll let you all know how the visit goes. The vet is about a 40 min. drive. Which this one just from my experience with Betty is ALOT better then the one right down the road. Plus it's the one the owner of the bird store recommends and uses.
Good luck :hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.