• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not twenty any more ....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So ...was riding yesterday and my seat is getting better after not riding for 16 yrs so J and I were cantering along and she was acting more antsy the whole ride ..throwing her head and responding to my leg more then she normally does ...normally she is a lil plody ..but not yesterday so I was happy with that but what I should have been is a lil concerned ..so anyway we were cantering along and we came to a turn in the arena and normally I have to leg her on a turn so I legged her on and in a blink of an eye I found myself bucked off on the ground ...now her owner said I was holding her to tight with her head and she pulled me off ...but I have been bucked off by allot of horses in my many years of riding and I know what it feels like and I know she bucked me off ...so I got back on and proceeded to finish my ride very sore ...and wondering what really happened cuz it happened so fast :huh:

Skip to this morning ...could barley get out of bed can hardly walk ..have a huge bruise on right my butt ..my back is in terrible shape and my right shoulder is screaming ...when I was in my twenties or even in my thirties I could have walked away with minimal issues but at 48 not so much ...so I am having to treat my wounds and my broken old body for a few days before I get back on I think ..Im suppose to go riding again tomorrow but I dont think I can ..I would like to ..but I just dont l know this old lady may need more then a day to heal :facepalm:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you're okay. Yes, the things we could do/recover from in our twenties............

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im glad it wasnt worse thats for sure ...but today I feel like I got hit by a car :omg:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww, sorry, that sounds painful! I can only imagine! I don't dare do some of the things I used to when just bending the wrong way can send my back out!

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I can definitely relate to this! At 53, a fall means at least a week of pain and bruising and stiffness. But considering how many times in the past I have been seriously hurt (dislocated hip, cracked ribs, broken back - just to name a few), I'm most relieved that I'm still able to get up after a fall. I'll take the pain and stiffness as long as I can avoid a more serious injury. Knock on wood .....

Hope you feel better soon!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I know there are things I dont do as well just because Im getting older and the fibromyalgia doesnt let me ..but this is my dream ..riding again it brings me such joy ...even though every ride is painful ...and I know this is going to be a huge set back for me ....Im more then a lil heart broken this happened cuz I dont want this to be more then a set back for my body ...I guess Ill just have to give myself the time to heal and see what happens :(

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
It doesn't have to be a permanent set back for you. Let yourself heal, and you'll be back in the saddle again. Now, you may need to find a more placid horse if this becomes a regular occurrence. Riding is supposed to be fun, not physical torture. But eventually you'll sort out what works best for you! :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Well right now cuz of the Fibro there is allot of pain involved even when walking and trotting its just the way it is ...I have only been riding again for about a month about 3 -4 times per week and going very slowly ...riding for only 1/2 hr to 45 mins at a time ..I am getting a stronger seat and not so painful while riding and afterward ...trying to go at this as slowly as I can ..so when I was cantering which I have only done a few times on J I think it was a combo of things that happened to make her buck ...so for me I am going to go back to building my seat back with walking and trotting ...it would be allot easier if it wasnt so painful to ride ..but it is what it is ...I tried a western saddle at first but that was even more painful then my english saddle and I couldnt even feel my horse under me using a western saddle so I have been using my english saddle on her and that could be part of Js issue being a western horse ...she just isnt use to the close contact of an english saddle ...so I think no cantering for now and just take it easy with walking and trotting to build my seat better and get her use to my saddle ..I thought of going back to the western saddle but it is just to bulky and is way more painful for me to ride in ... I never thought it was going to be this hard going back to be honest but I am older and have a chronic pain issue now ..I just hope if I go back and take it slow it will all work out :)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
It's amazing that you ride with Fibro! Even that is a huge accomplishment! That said, I believe anyone who falls off a bucking horse would feel terrible after! Huge :fairy2:to me!! I have hyper flexibility in my joints which causes my knees to swell and bend the wrong way :omg: and it is awful just walking! So YOU ARE MY HERO!!:dance4:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It's amazing that you ride with Fibro! Even that is a huge accomplishment! That said, I believe anyone who falls off a bucking horse would feel terrible after! Huge :fairy2:to me!! I have hyper flexibility in my joints which causes my knees to swell and bend the wrong way :omg: and it is awful just walking! So YOU ARE MY HERO!!:dance4:
Thank you so much ...Well like I said its painful ..every ride hurts like hell but its my passion ...I grew up ridding from the time I was 10 I think to the time I was 32 when my horses passed ...then 16 yrs of nothing besides this longing to ride again but I couldnt afford to buy another horse or keep one ...then this great opportunity fell in my lap and I had to follow it and see if I could ride again ..my Drs said take it slow ..see if you can ..we upped my pain meds ..and Im trying it hoping that if I go slow my body will allow me to slowly progress ...its like adding any exercise when you have a chronic illness ..and Fibro is suppose to get better with exercise ...I know its doing my mood a world of good ..Im happier and engaging more with my family and friends ..Im not so depressed and feeling like the hole is right in front of me and that alone is worth it ... ;)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I believe you will be able to do this! :dance5:no problem with rest and taking it slow. It sounds fantastic for you and you get huge :hug8:for how you are so uplifting! I take a lot of meds to keep me going and I've got my family but hearing (reading lol) makes me very happy. Thank you so much! :fairy:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Thank you for the support @Familyof12 ..riding is so uplifting for me it has done wonders for me mentally ...just being around horses again has made me a happier person ..even though its very hard work its good hard work ...it gives me such pleasure and for a while there I didnt have much pleasure in my life or I couldnt see what pleasure there was in my life ...having something your passionate about in your life is so rewarding ...dont get me wrong I love my birds and couldnt live my life without them they have helped my life in ways I cant even express but riding gets me out of the house and gets my body moving and was something I have been missing for years ... :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Tyrion I'm sorry you hurt. I have had many horse related injuries and they suck. I too have really bad fibro and if I got bucked off I'd be in bed for a year!!!! OMG. I am so sorry. Take it easy sweetie.

:sadhug2: