• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not the best of times

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Here are some photos of Alex during our lockdown.

Alex during the first morning that we were allowed to exercise after 35 days. For the last eight years, the little guy was outdoors three times a day, visiting the park, so our hard, military and police enforced level 5 lock down was terribly hard on him.

Lock down Alex 3.jpg
Lock down Alex 2.jpg

During our level 4 lockdown, we were allowed outdoors to exercise from 06H00 to 09H00 and although still dark at 06H00, I tried to utilise the maximum amount of time outdoors in the fresh air.

Lock down Alex 1.jpg

Alex on day 18 of level 4 lock down (we have not been told when the lock down will finally end, beyond the fact that there are 5 levels, so still three levels to go) around 08H45, looking much brighter.

Sea wall Alex.jpg

Alex walking along a low section of the sea wall near his apartment a few hours before lock down begun on 26 March.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Alex has certainly grown into a beautiful macaw. Bet he is happy to be outside after the lock down, but you probably are too.

Here in Arizona we are starting to open up - pretty fast.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
We are still only allowed out for three hours a day, unless essential workers, but are making the best use of the time.

Thanks Mary Lynn, yes Alex is looking good and weighing in at 1300g. I remember you commenting on the terrible clip he was given at his previous home and how little he seemed when he and I first got together.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Alex has certainly grown into a beautiful macaw. Bet he is happy to be outside after the lock down, but you probably are too.

Here in Arizona we are starting to open up - pretty fast.
Yea, maybe little too fast, Did you see all those people clamored at the salt river? :eek: I do, do, do understand things need to reopen, but geez people, it's not a free pass to Disney!! There were lines of people waiting to get into the Arizona mills mall,,the little Spanish kid I work with on the weekends said " Why Ro,,why?" You no need do go to Mall,,I told him I dont know honey..

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's the old "It will never happen to me" syndrome. Sorry I can't take a chance. I live alone - completely no family around, unmedicated high blood pressure and I'm GD 80 years old. Without me there is no one to care for Jasper. I'm well quarantined - I don't see any other human for two weeks at a time. But, if I kick the bucket at home, Jasper will probably starve.

It's really crappy getting old and I will never live in a place like you work in @Birdbabe. I had three aunts who lived in one.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
These are beautiful photos. Hard to believe that is the same bird in the photo from 8 years back. Wow. Alan, you and Alex are so lucky to live by the water and see all the beautiful sights surrounding. So glad you are both able to get out and about now, I can imagine it was a bit like prison for the last month.

It's the old "It will never happen to me" syndrome. Sorry I can't take a chance. I live alone - completely no family around, unmedicated high blood pressure and I'm GD 80 years old. Without me there is no one to care for Jasper. I'm well quarantined - I don't see any other human for two weeks at a time. But, if I kick the bucket at home, Jasper will probably starve.
I can relate to this Mary Lynn. This is why I kept that big crock of pellet and seed (that mine NEVER touched) on the grate at the bottom of their cage. I figured Fergus and Fiona could stand a better chance of surviving with this much food in there. I have forgotten to put the crock in for at least two to three weeks now, so I need to put it back.
I've thought a lot about this, and I'd be thinking even more about this if I were 80, for sure! (I'm only 66 now)... I have a cousin that I talk to every day, and he will be 81 in January.
Always scary to think of our pets going hungry if we were not around to feed them.
In case you have not had a hug lately -

:hug8::hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So good to hear from you Alan! It's great to see Alex too, and happily enjoying his limited time outside.
On another note, Mary Lynn, I pray there's someone on this forum, or in your life you've directed to raise the alarm if you're not heard from. Your fear is also one of mine.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It’s nice to see you two out and about, even if only for a little bit Alan. I’m sorry the restrictions have been so hard on Alex; though he looks quite adorable on his mini explorations.

And I’m sure you have people/plans in place already @Hankmacaw, but I can be almost anywhere in Arizona same day with the way my husband drives and knows every road in this state from work, so if the situation ever arises, just know you have one more option to ensure Jasper has food/help. :heart:

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great to hear from you Alan, I am glad to see you and Alex are doing well.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry

It's really crappy getting old and I will never live in a place like you work in @Birdbabe. I had three aunts who lived in one.
Well, maybe it's none of my business but why not check on BP meds. I'm on lisinopril and I think it's on the cheap list of old patents. For 90 days it's like 9 bucks. MOST people tolerate it really well, I didn't but we got things adusted dose wise and when to take it and I've been fine since then.
If you can't tolerate it or other issues I understand but try to take care of yourself.
My mom is also 80 and doing fine and our doc just put her on a low 5mg dose just to keep her down a tiny bit and take some load off her heart. As far as I know it's just a preventative measure and she hasn't had any side effects at all.
:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So good to see both of you. :hug8: Alex looks really good.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Alex is huge - average weight for a B&G is 900 gm - 1,000 gm.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s nice to see you two out and about, even if only for a little bit Alan. I’m sorry the restrictions have been so hard on Alex; though he looks quite adorable on his mini explorations.

And I’m sure you have people/plans in place already @Hankmacaw, but I can be almost anywhere in Arizona same day with the way my husband drives and knows every road in this state from work, so if the situation ever arises, just know you have one more option to ensure Jasper has food/help. :heart:
Same here honey, :hug8:

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Thanks Becky, Shezbug, Birdbabe, Liza and John, very much appreciated.

Alex is a pretty big chap Mary Lynn, but no real extra fat, just a big boy.

I did not take the photos Andrea, but I also think they are super.

We do live in a very beautiful area Elly, but our country remains third world with many problems. Alex's apartment partly overlooks the sea, although I don't think it interests him all that much. He is very close though - one could throw a stone from his lounge window into the ocean.

I too constantly have that worry Mary Lynn, which has been made worse by our hard, military and police enforced lockdown. I don't really want to go into details, but am sure that many of the videos taken here during this period, have reached international audiences.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes those pictures have reached outside your world. Although I am far from naive, they continue to shock me, sadden me, and create a deep anger in me. It is impossible to understand how a continent with Africa's natural resources can remain so poor and underdeveloped.

We in the States are very fortunate. Few realize just how fortunate.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Today, June 1st, we were moved down to "level 3" after having on "levels 4 and 5" for 67 days. The rules regarding the amount of time we can be outdoors exercising, has been increased, which is such a blessing for alex.

Here is a photo of him today, enjoying the longer outdoor session.

June 1 lock down.jpg