• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not such an ogre anymore

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I love this bird! I know when Shrek first came here she was angry and scared. There was alot of past and baggage to unpack. I used to wonder if there would ever be a time she'd even be willing to come out of the cage. These days I can't sit down without her trekking across the house to find me. She always knows when I get still and if I'm still, I have no reason to not be petting her lol.

I showed this video to the co-worker who asked me to take Shrek from her brother. She cried. She couldn't believe how much Shrek has changed.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wonderful!! Very heartwarming :heart2:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my, not enough hearts! I'd never get ANYthing done all day - I'd have to pet that cute little ogre all the time. Those little sounds, and that expression!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very happy your bird is starting to trust you. Well done!

I will caution too much petting. This is very stimulating for her and could lead to nesting behaviour. Do what you can to diversify your interaction with her. Puzzle games, foraging and independent play will help you live many many happy years together.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
Oh my, not enough hearts! I'd never get ANYthing done all day - I'd have to pet that cute little ogre all the time. Those little sounds, and that expression!
20201118_153842~2.jpg
It is tempting but i always have alot to do. Poor Shrek really only gets about 30 minutes a day that I can sit down and love on her. But that doesn't mean she spends all day in a cage. We never lock the cage door and she has a play gym above it. She gets new toys every week and a puzzle daily.

I have had to rethink my Christmas decorations this yr. We decorate a gingerbread house each year but that was more temptation than Shrek could live with. Turned our backs for two seconds and ...
20201212_190617.jpg
I know its not good for her and we have relocated the house to prevent any further vandalism. It was stupid of me to think she would leave it alone.

She's making up for lost time I guess. Since she spent that first 2 yrs of life locked in an empty cage with little food and bad water, she'll likely spend the next 2 yrs getting into everything and stealing every tasty snack she can find lol.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have had to rethink my Christmas decorations this yr. We decorate a gingerbread house each year but that was more temptation than Shrek could live with. Turned our backs for two seconds and ...
Oh that could be a Christmas card deluxe!
What is cuter than this for Christmas?!
I'm so glad for her that she has found you to love her after the bad home before!