• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not so much urgent...Bald U2 with no more plucking behaviors, will her feathers grow back ever?

FrostyGirl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kimberly
So we adopted a 28 year old umbrella cockatoo from an older couple that's retired and wants to travel. She has bonded with us amazingly and we've established with our local avian vet. However she is practically a naked bird and the vet wasn't able to give me any real answers as to whether or not her feathers would grow back. She hasn't had any plucking behaviors for us and her previous owner said she hadn't in awhile. They were told she was bald cause they smoked around her. I'm just looking for any suggestions to help stimulate growth of new feathers. Oh and they used to use a spray bottle of water as punishment so bathing is really challenging at the moment.

Thank you in advanced.

IMG_0644.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Unfortunately, if the follicles were damaged, the feathers will not grow back.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Even if the feathers never return she can have a full life. Thank you for adopting her :heart2:

It is hard not be frustrated with her previous owners for smoking around her and punishing her with a spray bottle. Yet it doesn't mean they weren't trying their best, 28years ago parrot care was nothing like it is today. Hopefully she was loved. Lots of myths about how to care for Polly the parrot are still lingering. Heck, I remember people used to smoke around me and their children back in the 90s too. Times and knowledge have gotten better around some things.

JOPO55

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanne Mccreith
So we adopted a 28 year old umbrella cockatoo from an older couple that's retired and wants to travel. She has bonded with us amazingly and we've established with our local avian vet. However she is practically a naked bird and the vet wasn't able to give me any real answers as to whether or not her feathers would grow back. She hasn't had any plucking behaviors for us and her previous owner said she hadn't in awhile. They were told she was bald cause they smoked around her. I'm just looking for any suggestions to help stimulate growth of new feathers. Oh and they used to use a spray bottle of water as punishment so bathing is really challenging at the moment.

Thank you in advanced.

View attachment 409316
Feathers or no feathers she is absolutely beautiful xx

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It depends on whether the follicles are damaged. If so, they won't grow back. She is beautiful either way. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im with others on this her feather may grow back you will just have to watch for plucking during the phase of the new house for her ..She is beautiful either way :D