• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not Sherman, again!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Yes, it's another Sherman story.:wacky: First, I want to thanks to so many members for their help and patience!:thankyou:

Last time I told you about Sherman's new chewing habit. (I didn't add the Boing and replaced her rope swing with an acrylic and chain one she won't even look at.) Well, she managed to dent and split her fresh produce/treat bowl .:shocking:... I mistakenly thought stainless steel bowls were indestructible.

Anyway, I bought Sherman a new dish last night. This morning while I was attaching it to the cage, she came limping down to it. I prepared for the big lunge and bite. Instead, she just kept her distance but came to watch.:cantsee: Granted Sherman had to have the old bowl in the ring, but she showed some curiosity and took a risk.

Moving into the birdroom has been stressful even traumatic for her, but Sherman is learning things in a couple of weeks that were taking me months to teach.:hurryup: She's like a new bird in so many ways! Sherman does things I feared she'd never learn to do!

And just for @Eloy :hehe: and the other doubters,

I love Sherman!!!
:heart: :fairy2::heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
One of my small stainless bowls is split! I think ours happened in the dishwasher somehow? Our other bowls feel thicker & none of those has a problem. I know it wasn't our little green cheek Scotty!

I think I remember @saroj12 mentioned having a problem w/ some ss bowls a while back?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Really?
I even told someone about unbelievable the dents and split seemed! That was the first time I'd seen or heard of it. Sherman's were new, too. Maybe they're just being made thinner to save money.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Maybe they're just being made thinner to save money.
Yes that but also SS is not just one steel. Some are weaker, some stronger, and some are so hard so they break.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yes that but also SS is not just one steel. Some are weaker, some stronger, and some are so hard so they break.
Interesting. You're smart.
One of my small stainless bowls is split! I think ours happened in the dishwasher somehow? Our other bowls feel thicker & none of those has a problem. I know it wasn't our little green cheek Scotty!
So... you've dealt with this, too. My thicker ones seem to be stronger and last many years. Everbirdy gets new bowls at move in and this is the first split bowl.

It had dents, too, so I just figured it was her new chewing- thing and a cheaper bowl. Dents were one thing, but I didn't think a split would be safe for her and changed it fast!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep some bowls just are crap! I have a bunch from cheap Pro Select ones which have lasted 5 years but Kings ones I bought lasted a year or two at most!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I checked out the thread, @faislaq. (Thanks!) Obviously, I'm not alone! I, too, buy several at a time and have the same problem... Too much time has passed. I claimed "Manufacturing defect" and they responded, "Where?"

The site suggested only had PLASTIC bowls her size. Everything else seemed too big or too small. The plastic Lixit in a conure cage didn't last long! I broke it!

The best brand ever was from some anonymous manufacturer. I've had pretty good luck with KCI colored bowls in the past except the color is obviously added atf and comes off water bowls... I wonder about that being dangerous.

Hmm thanks @Mizzely. Maybe Pro Select is the way to go. The dented and split bowl was a King which proved a joke!