• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent not really urgent

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
OK my 10 year old daughter was just diagnosed with strep. Problem is our birds are all over the house. Sunset our sun conjure has claimed my daughter is his person. He was all over her last night. She did not have any symptoms last night,but woke up with a fever today. I have already quarantined both birds from her. I am getting ready to sanitizing everything I can. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm so worried.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Birds don't catch things like that from us, may make her feel better if birdie cuddles her while she's ill. Hope she gets better quickly!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had severe bronchitis many years ago and one of my birds wound up with a severe respiratory infection.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Smart of you to be careful. Many things can be traded --- best be safe.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
Just saw the new posts. I planned on calling the vet tomorrow. Unfortunately they were closed by the time we got out of the pediatrician. I cleaned everything that I can. And the FIDS are gonna stay in their sleep cages till I can get in touch with the vet.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope your daughter feels better soon...and fids stay healthy.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
I talked to the vet. He said yes some strains are zoonotic. He said to use extra good hygiene and to keep my daughter away from them till she has been fever free for 48 hours. I am to watch their poo and bring them in immediatly if any signs of illness. So far so good. My daughter says she already feels a little better. The FIDS have let everyone know that they do not appreciate the indignity of being contained to one room. My husband took them their breakfast and Jojo called him a dirty bird when he shut the door.