• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not playing with toys!

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
My new baby Isla isn't playing with her toys at all. She's a 4 year old African ringneck and her previous owner told me she loves to shred paper. I made a bunch of paper toys for her and she's not touched any of them, nor has she attempted to destroy anything in her cage. I placed some fake plants in her cage to give her more privacy from my dogs and she seems content enough with her cage setup. She does come out when I have the doors open and occasionally fly a few laps around the room. Then she goes back in after an hour or so. Overall she seems happy with everything I've done for her. Will sit on the perch outside her cage, preen herself, grind her beak, and squawk a few times. Occasionally will climb around her cage, but not interested in any of the toys I hung outside her her cage either. I'd really like her to play, her beak is on the longer side and I won't be able to get her to a vet for trimming at least for another month. Any tips/ideas? I just smeared a bit of peanut butter onto a corn cob and rolled it in a home blend of millet and seeds. Not interested in that either...

cage.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here are my tips :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Perhaps remove some from the cage for a while. Let her see you playing with the toys while she is close to you at a table. When she is ready she will join in.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
If ya haven't had her too long, she will need time to settle in. She will come around in her own time, it will happen. It does look like you need a stainless steel bird toy in the mix!! Oh, did I tell you I have some?!! LOL! Anyway, maybe there is a little too much in her cage that overwhelms her ... maybe remove just a few items to see if she likes it better.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Perhaps remove some from the cage for a while. Let her see you playing with the toys while she is close to you at a table. When she is ready she will join in.
Yes, for sure ... oh my, I use to have a Blue Front Amazon, sometimes he would be deathly afraid of an item but all I had to do is put it up to my mount or rub it on me cheek and that was it then he'd be all over it instantly!! It worked well everytime! My B&G was like that as well, if it is good for me it is good for he/she!!