• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not Life or Death but I still need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
he looks mad at u... lol... but i know its awful. the towel.. oh god when sunni sees that thing she knows somethings up and hates it.. granted i only had to towel her once before. but she hates it... but doesnt mind playing peek a boo under rag on the floor lol.. weird bird... I hope hes alright and look forward to hearing on his progress.. haha when i read your post the note to self.. i think as when u have children they should give u an option of eyes behind the head or a set of extra arms LOL

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
Poor Larrybird. Let me know if I can help out any!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Larry is busy preening so I took some pics. While taking pics after he was finished preening I saw a tail feather sticking out at an odd angle. Not sure if it was damaged when he fell and then moved while he was preening but it didn't look like this in the first pictures I took.

Here are pics. Should I pull it? Let it be and let him work on it himself? Take him to the vet and have them look at it? Still no bleeding from the other spot. I'm afraid to pull it since I don't want him to lose any more blood.

Attachments

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It may just be broken or bent. I would leave him be for know. Keep an eye out for bleeding. Poor :hug8:Larry and poor you!

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
So Glad all is well he looks fine and he is a very handsome boy!! :) As far as that other feather goes I would leave it also Since he had one tail blood feather that means he in the processes of molting out his tail feathers to grow new ones that bent loose one very probably is an old feather that is ready to drop anyway.

Last edited:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo did that before. I chose not to actively do anything and watch her to make sure it didn't get worse. Within an hour she pulled it out herself.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thank you all sooooo much!!!!:hug8:You all are the greatest! Larry ended up pulling out the other tail feather and only had one little drop of blood. He's not as disgruntled as before, though he did give my lip a little pinch when I went to kiss his beak. I do believe he'll forgive me and that he knows I was only trying to help him and was not being mean to him.

One would think in all the time I've had birds this would have happened at least once before. I did keep calm and didn't panic but I hate that I didn't know what to do. I had the vet's number on speed dial and Larry's travel cage all ready just in case I needed to do a mad dash to the vet. Thankfully all is well and forgiven now.

You all are so wonderful. I would not have been calm if I didn't have this wonderful forum to come to for advice. Many, many thanks.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

One would think in all the time I've had birds this would have happened at least once before.
I am so glad he's ok. It actually might have happened before, and you just didn't know it. This time you witnessed it.
I talked to a Vet about it before and he said that it happens a lot more than owners think. Birds just take care of it themselves, just like he did today :)

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
I am so glad to hear Larry is okay. You did a great job taking care of him, and I agree with you the members here are so helpful.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to hear that Larry and you both are ok this evening :heart::hug2:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..hope you feel better now Larry! Good job and hugs Brigid.:hug8:

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
One February morning back in 1988 we had an earthquake and my African Grey broke 8 blood feathers, flew out of his cage which was open and landed in the darkness on the floor. I ran in to check on the bird room and it was awful. I kept a flashlight handy and I threw a towel over him with the flashlight sitting on the floor turned on. I had to pull the remains of all the bloodfeathers and all I had left at the time to stop the bleeding was quickstop powder. It must have been old because it wasn't working so I flew down the hall and got the white flour. It worked! At times like these you just have to dive in and don't worry about being bitten. Your birds life is at stake. I always keep a little jar of flour handy now.
Now that you have been through this, you will be much better with the next emergency! I hope your little bird is doing well now.

Katherine
:heart:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
So sorry to hear about Larry, glad everything worked out and that he is doing good now.

Brigid it is always different when we actually witness something like this happening, I think the way you reacted was normal. I know how I reacted the first time I saw Sam fall and break a bloodfeather.

The thing you have to remember is when you see it happen remain calm that way they don't realize that there is a reason for them to be upset. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad that Larry is ok,I've been through this a few times with Simba and it's always so stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.