• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not eating...

Kharilithr

Moving in
Real Name
Sinead
Hi all,

My bird is currently eating formula and I have been advised to start adding seeds ect to her cage so she gets used to them. She has started refusing all formula she bared ate any today. Is this normal? She's picked up seeds occasionally so I know she can eat them now but I barely see her touching them as she's still new to them and because of her age. She didn't like the last bowl so I replaced it to a smaller which seemed to help. She also wouldn't go anywhere near the water bowl (seemed scared of it almost?) So I got her a bottle that attaches to the side of her cage. She only bites it.

Any ideas? She seems well but I'm concerned she could starve due to how rapidly she's growing. (She can also now fly in short bursts)

Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hell Sinead, welcome to the Avenue,

I would stick with normal bowls for food and water. Don´t fill the water to the top though.
Are you feeding any pellets or veg?

She will have lost a little weight to allow for flight. Is that your bird in the picture, a lovebird? If so, anything below 40g would be concerning.

Try offering the formula again, be sure the temperature is consistent. After the formula is when you should offer the adult foods.

Kharilithr

Moving in
Real Name
Sinead
Hell Sinead, welcome to the Avenue,

I would stick with normal bowls for food and water. Don´t fill the water to the top though.
Are you feeding any pellets or veg?

She will have lost a little weight to allow for flight. Is that your bird in the picture, a lovebird? If so, anything below 40g would be concerning.

Try offering the formula again, be sure the temperature is consistent. After the formula is when you should offer the adult foods.
Yes thankyou thats her :) left her for a bit and she seems to be eating now. Not sure why she refused her morning feed? Still tired I guess? I'm feeding pellets however will start to introduce her to fruits and veggies when she starts to eat properly. Should I already be introducing her to them? I have some grapes I could try with her today.

Thankyou.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It could be you fed her too early in the morning.
Yes you can offer veggies.