• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not Eating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
My new little lovebird Angel hasn't eaten real food since she arrived at my house on Monday afternoon. She has eaten millet spray and I continue to give it to her so she'll eat something but she hasn't touched her other food. The breeder gave me a little bit of the different foods she has been eating and I have put those in her cage yet she still will only eat millet. She is 4 months old and seems to be doing alright otherwise, talking to my other lovies and moving around her cage with no problems, she just won't eat. Any thoughts on the matter and maybe suggestions about what I can do to help her decide to eat?

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She is still young. Maybe she is wanting some formula and a comfort feeding. Have you tried giving her some formula to see if she will take it?

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
No not yet. I don't have any hand feeding formula since she is weaned. Is there a way I can make a formula for her? Like mush up some food or ad in some baby food? I have a syringe already.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Do you have pellets? You could soak those in warm water or non sweetened applejuice and make a paste. You try feeding it with a spoon too!

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Yes I have pellets and unsweetened apple juice. I will definitely try that and see if she likes that. Should I feed it to her slightly warm or cooled down?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would give it to her warm. You can put some on your wrist to check and make sure it isn't too hot.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
you can do this but call up your local pet store and see if they have any formula

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I have found that as long as there is millet in the cage, the other food will remain uneaten. For each new bird, I've left the millet in there for about a week or so until I feel they've adjusted to their new surroundings. Then I start to slowly leave less and less so that they start to eat their regular food. Now it's just a treat I give them about once a week. And those are the days they have no interest in their regular food, lol.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Do you know what formula she was on?

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
I don't usually give my birds millet like ever but she wasn't eating her regular food before so I gave her a little to see if she would eat it and she is. I don't know what formula she was on before but I know my local Petsmart carries the ZuPreem formula which I can go get. My other birds are on organic pellets, some grains and fresh food as well as birdie bread but Angel won't eat any of it. If I do take the millet out of her cage, how long should I wait to freak out if she doesn't eat the other food in her cage?

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would try to give her formula. Keep seeds, pellets, and fresh fruits and veggies out for her. That way she can pick and choose.

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Ok so I softened some pellets and mixed it with some unsweetened apple sauce and warmed it up and she did eat a few bites out of my hands but then she heard my other lovies screaming at each other and she got a little freaked and stopped eating. I left some in her bowl for now to see if she eats some more and I'll try again tomorrow and see how much she eats then.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is good that she ate some. If she is eating it then I would continue to offer it to her.

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Yeah she ate a little so she seems to like it. I will keep offering it to her until she is eating regular food as well. :) Thanks for the suggestions and the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.