• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NOT AGAIN

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about putting one of those little square ceramic heaters blowing into the cage outside and see if he roosts for the night.
Great minds think alike! I just borrowed a little ceramic "patio heater" and put it out beside the cage, it raised the ambient temperature to around 10°! Much better!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:fingerscrossed:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If they follow the wild birds they know the places to stay warm enough and find food so if he's had some time to acclimatize he might do just fine till somebody catches him.

kiwicockatiel

Meeting neighbors
you helped me so i will try to help you will he fly to you my cockatiel (kiwi) will come to me one time my female (snowy) (not very goodly boned to be i thought) almost flew away but then when it looked like she was gonna fly into a high tree she came back to me and know her and kiwi and in there big aviary hope you find your lil tiel :tiel:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Starting to go more than a little bit crazy. :arghh: I didn't realise until just now that I saw him on the first of the year, which means that it's already been twenty days. Twenty!

Miraculously, unbelievably, he's still around. He hasn't frozen, starved, or been eaten in almost a month of being in my front yard!! The last 'tiel took an actual month to finally catch, but he wasn't out in subzero temperatures, caught in the snow.

This has basically been me for the past three weeks, trying to think of ways to trap him.

crazy.JPG

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Wow 21 days! That is impressive. The outback can be pretty rough, so I am sure he has instinct survival mode switched on. Still crazy he is managing Alberta cold.

Good luck wrangling him in. :eek:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh!! I was so hoping when you "attached a file" to this thread it was going to be a pic of him safe and warm inside with you. :darn: But thankyou for helping him!! I'm so hoping for a happy ending. :goodluck: Good luck getting him!!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Oh!! I was so hoping when you "attached a file" to this thread it was going to be a pic of him safe and warm inside with you. :darn: But thankyou for helping him!! I'm so hoping for a happy ending. :goodluck: Good luck getting him!!
Me too - I was looking for a pic of him.

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Wow, maybe it's a neighbor's and he goes back home after exploring everyday.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TINY 'TIEL ACQUIRED!!!!! :yahoo:

...Unfortunately, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. We're at the emergency vet, and Tiny 'Tiel is getting heat, oxygen and IV fluids while the vet examines the X-rays of his foot. Or lack thereof. :(

One of his feet is entirely gone. Just a stump that was still lightly leaking blood when I caught him. I don't know if it's a new injury, or a partially healed one that opened back up. I just know that I'm afraid for his life, and praying that he doesn't die from shock.

It's bittersweet. My emotions are all over the place. :sad11:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank God you got him!!! :hug8:
I hope he'll be ok!! You're amazing for all that you did and are doing for him :bluhug: I have no doubt your emotions are all over the place but know you a have given him a fighting chance. You and him will be in my thoughts and prayers. He's such a fighter and have survived this far I have to think that tips the scales in his favor. Stay strong little Tiel :heart::tieln::heart:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hoping for the best and praying...Thank you so much for continuing to try and catch him and not giving up and for taking him to a vet. Hoping for a happy update...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:eek:Oh my god, I hope he will be okay!!! Poor little bird, what an ordeal he must have had.:( You are so awesome for not giving up on him and getting him to the vet.:heart: I’ll be praying for him!:angel1:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Well at least now, thanks to you, he has a chance. What was it you did differently that let you finally catch him?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well done Miss escaped bird wrangler! I hope he makes it now that he finally has some sort of a chance to enjoy a much easier carefree life in someones home. How did you finally get him? What does the vet think his chances of survival are after all he has endured?
I am so impressed and amazed at your persistence yet again.......just goes to show that persistence and patience will always win, you really have such a good heart and set of morals:)